Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody see Apples new product released today. They are calling it the iPad. It looks pretty cool. Prices starting at $499 and going to $830. Unlimited 3G data access through AT&T for $29.99 or 250mb for $14.99. It looked pretty much like a bigger iPod touch or something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Ithink apple is igetting into the itablet/netbook imarket a little ilate. Doesn't imean it's a bad iproduct, ijust they've igot a lot of icatching up to ido.

iI'm happy with my iiPod 5G 60GB. They imade their istuff too igood early ion. I iwant an iiPod itouch, but I like imy iiPod just ifine. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
you beat me to this! i was watching the engedget feed.

i don't have a use for it. im waiting for the macbook pro to be updated before i get a new computer. are you on macrumors?
the pay as you go 3g is pretty awesome, though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched it off of macforum or something like that. They had someone there who was putting updates on their page as they went through the dog and pony show.

I think it looks really cool and the 3g service will be nice. With normal data rates for a PC card starting at $60 this is definitely something that will make traveling with data access easier.

By no means am I a mac guy but like they put it they have so many people already using iPhones and iTouches that this is pretty much the same platform. It is a gread idea. Now if only I can download it and install it on my netbook. It won't be touch screen but I think it would still be the tits.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I'm sure somewhere, given this plague-like proliferation of ithis and ithats all over this fucking world, even stuff not made by Apple, there probably was an itampon or ipad in the works aimed at "Hip young on-the-go women who are too busy to have time for their mother's tampon" (insert picture of a sassy woman throwing a tampon applicator over her shoulder and smiling like she knows something all those stupid regular tampon users don't know)

They'll package it in pink plastic with 'You go girl!!' printed on it in big yellow letters.

The idiot marketing ploy behind 'Yaz' comes to mind.

EDIT: And it'll cost three times as much as a regular tampon. But that's OK, because you're hip and on-the-go, and you NEED this tampon to fit with your modern lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It looks like another "You didn't know you needed this until we built it" creation from Apple. It will cost 5x more than the competition and give people who own it a sense of moral superiority.

·
Stay Strapped
1,123 Posts
I liked it with the exception of a few disappointments: Built off of iPhone OS, no SD card slot, no USB, no multitasking ability, no flash support, no camera, limited to app store

Most of these I'm sure have been reserved for future upgrades

·
Registered
626 Posts
yea its this cool new device! it cost 499, its like an iphone that dosnt make phone calls... but its really big! when you carry it around you look like Moses carrying the 10 commandments, it has no video camera...or camera for that matter...BUT ITS REALLY BIG!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I agree with the above statements on its to big, no flash support to surfing the web is limited.
I need something that will fit in my pocket.
I been wishing they would of updated the Itouch to have 3g support so i could keep my verizon phone
and pay att for 3g data planfor the itouch. But now it looks like that will never happen.

I wonder who the ipad was marketed for?

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I wonder who the ipad was marketed for?
As of right now, it's marketed to Apple fanboys. Just like countless people have pointed out it's short comings, who would buy one of these aside from people in love with Apple and their products? No one in their right minds.

Eventually, it'll have more, or the same features as a "regular" tablet PC, and it'll offer the convenience of iStore, so it'll be a real competitor, but only after 2-3 "revised" versions come out.

Remember when the iPhone was first launched? iStore didn't have all that many apps, and the internet capabilities of the phone weren't all that much better than any other phones on the market, but the selling point was the user interface.

Apple's products are ALL about user interface, and making things easy... no problem with that, in fact I wish more companies made things as well as Apple. I just hate their blatant "pop-culture" marketing scheme

S

·
0 Posts
I liked it with the exception of a few disappointments: Built off of iPhone OS, no SD card slot, no USB, no multitasking ability, no flash support, no camera, limited to app store

Most of these I'm sure have been reserved for future upgrades
I'd be willing to bet apple already has the ability to implement these ideas, they're just not going to because people will still buy it the way it is now and then they can put this stuff in later and call it an upgrade. Its the same thing as the iphone. Now to start off I own an iphone and love it. But they held back things such as a video camera, gps, copy and paste function, etc. just so they could add them later once the competition started to slightly catch up to them, while all of these should have been implemented from day one.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
did anyone think about using google talk? if you have google talk on it, this can be your cell phone once you activate the 3G! this has more potential than i thought...

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Use it as a cell phone??? You're aware this thing in five times the size of an iPhone? It'd be like talking on a giant poptart! A camera?? You're aware this thing is five times the size of an iPhone? It would be like taking a picture with a giant poptart!

·
Registered
423 Posts
ehh to me this is pointless, if you have a phone (preferably the iphone) and a computer then this is just usless, it doesnt do anything that those cant. its big bulky and limited in its functionability. a waste of money IMO.

M

·
0 Posts
Well what if you have an iphone And at&t eventually will let you tether some year. Will you be able to tether to the ipad from your iphone?

How much can one person pay for internet?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts