Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened several times and happened again last weekend. After 1 or 2pm I see that phone is off, when I try to turn it on it says no battery (a lie), coz after 4pm when I get in the car to go back home, it turns back on and says %40 battery.
So I am guessing the lithum battery is freezing or something,

anyway to avoid this ?

it sucks because my alpinereplay tracking don't get tracked :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've had this happen as well in -15 when I wasn't using it. If you can put it in an inside pocket and keep it playing music so it stays warm? I haven't had recent issues... kind of annoying though my 3GS didn't do this, it would just take 3 minutes to do anything because it was frozen solid, but ya the 5 shuts off...

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Mophie just released their case for the 5 with a built in battery. I had one of these on my 4s and it worked great. I am going to try it on my 5.

You could try putting it in a goggle bag or crown royal bag with a hand warmer packet too. that would keep it warm for a while.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had this exact problem with my 4 when its super cold. If i keep on one layer below my jacket, problem solved...although I am lucky that I have a zip pocket on one of my base layers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this happen as well in -15 when I wasn't using it. If you can put it in an inside pocket and keep it playing music so it stays warm? I haven't had recent issues... kind of annoying though my 3GS didn't do this, it would just take 3 minutes to do anything because it was frozen solid, but ya the 5 shuts off...
yup you acn say that again, wife has a 3gs and nope she doesn't have this problem, i5 is more advanced tech. and freezes weird huh. more advanced gadgets isn't always the best huh

it is playing music all the time so no it still happens, inside pocket... i guess i can do that or now I am thinking I am gonna get a pair of sucks put it in'em :) let's see what happens

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My 4S does this as well. However, when I first got it I could run my Ski Tracks app pretty much all day and have battery left to spare. But, this year, even if I don't use the phone at all, the battery life drops down to 30% extremely quickly and then...just dies.

Then when I get back in the lodge or car it fires right back up but at like 5% or something. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 4S does this as well. However, when I first got it I could run my Ski Tracks app pretty much all day and have battery left to spare. But, this year, even if I don't use the phone at all, the battery life drops down to 30% extremely quickly and then...just dies.

Then when I get back in the lodge or car it fires right back up but at like 5% or something. :icon_scratch:
same same here man, this weekend i am gonna put it in a double sock let's see what happens

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Try to situate the phone as close to your body as possible. My buddies 5 does that exact thing where it shuts down, even if it's only like, -1*C out.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
i dont think this problem is only with the 5, my new 4s does the same occasionaly. I dont think it has anything to do with cold weather either imho , my phone does it while in work playing music thru the stereo(typicaly 60-70*F). Ill unplug it to go to lunch and boom 'battery dead' sign. Few minutes later(or after i plug in to charge) turns back on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Android phones are not immune to this either. I think the temps up on the mountains, especially with wind, is outside the operating range of most electronics like smartphones. My Samsung Galaxy SII did the same thing. 80% battery at the base before starting the day. After a few runs, I whip it out to take a photo and it says 1% battery, please connect charger, and then shuts down. Doesn't turn back on until it's thoroughly thawed back at the base. It was in my outer shell pocket, so it was cold...

·
Registered
417 Posts
My wife's 4s does the same shutdown crap. My Galaxy 3S...Solid all day. Not starting a war, just pointing out different battery tech.

Could also be that I never put my phone in a case and its in my pants front pocket staying warm on my leg. But even leaving out on a table in the cold it seems to be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
This is a big issue up in Maine where the norm is below 15. I completely remedied the problem by putting my ipod in an internal pocket. As long as it is NOT in your outer layer, insulated or not, it will be good. It's really just about body heat, so keeping in in a chest or thigh pocket is better than hip/hand warmer pocket. No need for fancy battery cases or hand warmers.

As for the android/iphone bit... My Samsung GSIII has had no issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same issue here with a 5. What's happening with the 5 is that the metal casing of the phone is very heat conductive. And the battery is actually touching that metal case inside of the phone. Heat is rapidly drained away from the battery, and this makes the performance of the said battery to drop sharply and fast.

I am usually good for the day (inside pocket) but if I wanna take a picture, or change the song that's playing 2 or 3 times, it will shut down.

My friends with 5c don't have the same problem. Seems like the plastic case of the 5c is less heat conductive...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same issue here with a 5. What's happening with the 5 is that the metal casing of the phone is very heat conductive. And the battery is actually touching that metal case inside of the phone. Heat is rapidly drained away from the battery, and this makes the performance of the said battery to drop sharply and fast.

I am usually good for the day (inside pocket) but if I wanna take a picture, or change the song that's playing 2 or 3 times, it will shut down.

My friends with 5c don't have the same problem. Seems like the plastic case of the 5c is less heat conductive...
yea if i see it shut-off i check the metal case and it's ice cold, so it explains battery definetly in contact with the metal case

i am loggin with alpine replay so it's really annoying when it just shuts off

i didn't upgrade to iphone 5s waiting for the 6, will probably one of those case that has a battery pack inside so i can have %200 battery

·
Registered
73 Posts
The original iPhone 5 is notorious for batteries that die after about a year. That is what happened to my wife's phone. It would just shut off around 20% battery life, sometimes less/more. The issue is dead cells in the battery. The only permanent solution was to replace the battery. It cost me $6 on Amazon. Haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had this issue with my 5s a while back but it was stupid cold. Like -10 degrees since then it's been fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had an original iphone 5 and it did same thing it would shut down first in the cold then even inside. When I plug it in battery was showing as high as 60% so I went to an apple store, they tested it and the battery was finish after a year of use so they gave me a new phone with no problems, now it stays charged sometimes even for almost two days with normal use unless I watch videos or play games.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Iphone 4S here..... yup, freezes too. Major PITA.

If you have one of those battery packs, that helps. Or if there os a charging station. All it needs is something to "engage" the battery, for some reason it thinks the battery is drained when it gets real cold. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine was dying on a daily basis in my pants pocket til i realized that, since i was placing it there with the screen against my leg to protect the glass, that the back side with the battery was getting cold.
i turned it around, screen out, battery against my leg, and it never quits since...
as long as i don't smash my thigh into anything hard yah...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts