Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Just a quick bit of information for you all. I decided to learn how to code for a bit of fun and collaborating with the guys over at Head Snowboards and some European riders, I made a snowboarding iPhone app.

The blurb about the app is below, which I think (hope) sums it up quite nicely. Also, so you know, it got added to the homepage of UK iTunes, as a staff favorites pick, which is was surprised and totally stoked about.

"In huge detail, we lay out how to stomp over 50 of the sickest snowboard tricks out there, including respect ratings, illustrations and expert tips. The app also includes essential information such as board maintenance, snowboard terminology, mounting bindings, waxing, and choosing your ride!

In addition, we bring you our infamous ''grab indicator'', now in pocket-sized format and ready to take to the mountain with you. The indicator shows how and where to grab your board, so you can dial in on those essential grabs and move your riding up a few notches."

There are a bunch of other features too. I would really love to hear your feedback on the app, so I can continue to make it better!!

You can find it in iTunes at Snowboard Trick List for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Here are some free download codes for the first 3 of you to get the app:
PRE6XWEM74LM
XKK6EHXKXFNM
6L4XHE6TXEXJ

To redeem, to the appstore, click featured and then new and scroll to the bottom and click redeem.

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas, feedback or suggestions you have.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree completely... Android is an excellent platform and also a growing one. I would love to do an Android version, and I won't rule it out. But currently I learned to code for iOS just as a hobby/project, although it rapidly became something more serious, it is just a hobby and due to my love of snowboarding. For full disclosure, I am a finance student, not a techy!

Sorry to deny your platform for now, my apologies!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No need to apologize. It's not you. I just can't believe how many people only make stuff for the iPhone, even though Android is just as popular and fairly easy to make things for. I'm no techy either, but I know that Android is a great platform and deserves to not be overlooked so much. Anyway, I'd check out your app, as it sounds pretty neat, but I have no iPhone, and never will.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the answer is super simple. to develop for iPhone is as simple as developing one app. Android is horribly fragmented and getting worse, and that results in the need for many versions of the app, just within the Android ecosystem. the fact that it's "open" results in many versions for different phones and manufacturers since manufacturers are convinced they can "improve" the OS with some crap skin over the top. i am also no techie (maybe a little), but any developer will tell you the same. and before the flame wars begin, i harbor no ill will toward any platform. i have used Android and been impressed, even if it is not my personal choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent to hear your thoughts on the different platforms guys - but any App specific feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make this App as great as it can be, so as fellow snowboarders, your thoughts are hugely important to me!
Thanks again

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Excellent to hear your thoughts on the different platforms guys - but any App specific feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make this App as great as it can be, so as fellow snowboarders, your thoughts are hugely important to me!
Thanks again
I'm not so sure I get the value in the app at the moment, seems like it's more aimed for the guys in the park? Something I'd like would be a resort app, with access to stats for all resorts, snowfall, trail maps, webcams, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not so sure I get the value in the app at the moment, seems like it's more aimed for the guys in the park? Something I'd like would be a resort app, with access to stats for all resorts, snowfall, trail maps, webcams, etc.
Yeah I would say that is fair feedback and I agree, although there are some things in the app that are for everybody, surface tricks, how to wax, how to choose a board, how to mount bindings, music, wallpapers and discounts at sports retailers... but the rest is trick information...

A lot of the resort maps etc exist already within Skiing apps, but I can definitely see the point of it, and it may well feature in later releases, it isn't a priority currently for this App (unless everyone starts asking for it)

For example, I plan to add an Altimeter and Speedometer to near future releases.

Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all,

I submitted a new, improved version of the App to Apple and am working on a huge update.

The new version will have 15 more tricks, more features etc. For now though, i'd still really love your opinion for possible new features, improvements etc. I want to have a fantastic and useful App.

Thank you in advance guys/girls.

Sam

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
the answer is super simple. to develop for iPhone is as simple as developing one app. Android is horribly fragmented and getting worse, and that results in the need for many versions of the app, just within the Android ecosystem. the fact that it's "open" results in many versions for different phones and manufacturers since manufacturers are convinced they can "improve" the OS with some crap skin over the top. i am also no techie (maybe a little), but any developer will tell you the same. and before the flame wars begin, i harbor no ill will toward any platform. i have used Android and been impressed, even if it is not my personal choice.
This isn't true of just Android. It's also true of Apple. 3GS does not have full support for iOS5 and its iOS4 support was limited. Just about all current generation of handsets can (and are) running 2.3.4 which just updated to 2.3.6. Fragmentation, if anything, is improving. When the technology gets too old to support the newest platform, the user will update to a newer handset. But this is the same with Apple. My 3GS won't support iOS5 and thus, I'm required to update to a 4 or 4S when I want apps that are only supported by iOS5 and beyond.

Developers aren't really worried about supporting by sub 2.1 Android devices nor are developers concerned with iOS3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Android, I am looking into making an App and partnering up to do it :) So fingers crossed.

But for now, I would still appreciate on point feedback about the App as it progresses. The new version should drop later today! I want it to be the best tool for snowboarders serious about progressing their riding.

Thank you all.

Sam

·
Registered
726 Posts
Poutanen - get the Northface Snow Report app, it has what you aksed for. Ski Tracks is a good one too using your gps for speed and runs etc.

This app is obviously aimed at teaching people tricks.

My feedback - written word is ok but I think video would go along ways, people dont just want to read - they need to see it, thats why they all go to youtube. Anyways I suggest you break out your tricks from Frontside and Backside both in the air and on rails, they are two very different things. Also - how about a checklist of all the tricks you have so a user can check them off as they master them? I'm not sure this app is something that would really teach a person how to freestyle snowboard, but its a handy little guide to pull out if your bored and looking for a trick to try out.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Poutanen - get the Northface Snow Report app, it has what you aksed for. Ski Tracks is a good one too using your gps for speed and runs etc.
Thanks I'll look into the Northface app... Currently I'm using Trekbuddy for my GPS tracking. Mainly because it supports all versions of symbian (as well as Android, Blackberry OS, etc. etc. etc.). And it can be used for multiple sports.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Casual, really good feedback.

Several points: I agree on video and I am working on incorporating it to the next release (actually release after next), but did you see the images and grab indicators? As some people miss those so I think I may need to make then more obvious?

Also, the checklist is a great idea. Someone suggested it on a UK forum and I am working with someone else to try and do that. It sounds easy, but for a casual developer like me it's actually rather complex! I'm working on it though.

The newer release came out a few hours ago but is a minor upgrade. The next release in 1.5 weeks time will have a whole host of usability upgrades, and new tricks and features and images!

Really appreciate the feedback guys! Keep it up!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I did see it yes, pretty cool. All in all its a sweet little app for someone that is not a designer by trade - good job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did see it yes, pretty cool. All in all its a sweet little app for someone that is not a designer by trade - good job.
Thank you very much! I have been away snowboarding, so not been working on the app for a few days, but back later today so will begin to implement the feasible changes that were suggested here and other forums.

Thanks again for the kind feedback, and please do let me know if you think of anything else that could improve the App!

Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all,

Huge update for you. In response to the feedback on here, I have been working on adding videos for the tricks. The code was tough, but I managed to get it down finally.

Now a video will open up within the App and stream the how-to video for you, to go with the text and images already in the App.

Whatsmore, 15 new tricks and grabs were added, to help add more value to the App.

Still very keen to hear your feedback and suggestions. The new updated App will be live in 8 days.

Sorry to double-post- but I got terribly excited about this update.

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
67 Posts
I downloaded the app and tried it out. Pretty cool so far.

One thing I'd like to see, is maybe some settings to change from regular to goofy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Xelxguapo, thank you very much for your feedback. It isn't something I had thought of before actually. Most of the descriptions are given using "front foot" "front edge" etc, rather than directional specific. But of course the images and videos which come out in a few days all favour one foot forward.

I am not sure how easy it would be to make a switch from regular to goofy and vice versa, but it would for sure be a nice feature. I will investigate it asap.

Thanks again for the feedback, I hope you enjoy the app and the next improved version which drops in a few days.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts