Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 16 and i am 6 foot 2.... is there a such thing as too tall for freestyle snowboarding? all the pros are tiny haha (or at least shorter than me). just wondering how tall are you guys? anyone taller than me?:crazy7: and does it affect your riding/balance what so ever?

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Yep, I was gonna say Lago is around that height. Most of the high level pros are fairly short though, but that's only going to matter if you plan on doing the type of aerial gymnastics that they do. More mere mortal type freestyle, you'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I wouldn't think he was either until we were at a condo with him staying there. He was my height or taller. Eye level for sure in street shoes. I'm 6' with bare feet. Chas is about 6'1, maybe 2. I have only hung with him on the mountain in sb boots.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
You want the truth about being a tall guy and doing freestyle?

Your center of gravity is different and you will have to develop your 'style' around that. You'll have to learn how to deal with what is referred to as whacky arm waving inflatable tube guy syndrome. No one likes seeing arms being chucked around, it looks ugly.

Your balance will ultimately be different, but that's not a bad thing. Just learn your spatial relations to your center of gravity and get a balance board. Bam problem solved.

Where most people have problems with being tall in snowboarding is when they're young and have had years of a certain center of mass and then suddenly have a drastic growth spurt. You see this with a lot of the "wonder kids" of snowboarding that are touted as the next big thing. They suddenly turn 15 and grow like 6 plus inches and their style just becomes whack.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Im 6'3"
Nobody cares how good you are so just have fun.
Fact is you will fill out and grow into a big boy and it is harder, you fall harder, sink in boot packs etc but like I said who cares. Just ride.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am 6'5" and I manage pretty well. Granted im more freeride than freestyle. Only issue i have is ducking under tree limbs when I am doing tree runs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm 6'7" and I'm an awful snowboarder. I'm on my 17th year and I can't even do a blue run switch without falling. Hopefully I'm the exception. I also fall in the lift line and break my ribs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts