Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon one of his videos, because of my recommended feed. He is claiming to be a Pro snowboarder, which made me laugh. After seeing his riding not even being close to the actual pro's. Then he was endorsing some pro signature amazon goggles that look like cheap garbage. Funny to look at the comment section on his videos and seeing his fanboys defend his bs.

The Kook vibes, I get from his videos are extremely strong lol.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I see his vids pop-up in my feed also. To me, he is an average (or better than average?) freestyle rider with a large internet following, not necessarily deserved. It demonstrates something to me about "critical mass" on Youtube with their algorithm.. People like to follow a visible figure for some reason. There is this ecosystem in Youtube with Vlogs and the need to keep creating videos. There was one vid I saw where he fell into a creek or something (not accurate, but it was something along those lines) and he made a video about it. Got busted by Keystone ski patrol? make a video about it. Drama queen stuff IMO. Keep creating content on a consistent schedule, no matter how inane. Draw your own conclusions, I guess.
The editing is slick and well polished, and that sells. It blows my mind that people make money doing this, but I'm old and out of touch....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I see his vids pop-up in my feed also. To me, he is an average (or better than average?) freestyle rider with a large internet following, not necessarily deserved. It demonstrates something to me about "critical mass" on Youtube with their algorithm.. People like to follow a visible figure for some reason. There is this ecosystem in Youtube with Vlogs and the need to keep creating videos. There was one vid I saw where he fell into a creek or something (not accurate, but it was something along those lines) and he made a video about it. Got busted by Keystone ski patrol? make a video about it. Drama queen stuff IMO. Keep creating content on a consistent schedule, no matter how inane. Draw your own conclusions, I guess.
The editing is slick and well polished, and that sells. It blows my mind that people make money doing this, but I'm old and out of touch....
I subscribe to him and some of his Video's are okay. I like his tour he does around the USA of all different resorts he goes to but he is always into Park features..........., I'm not a Park guy.

·
Registered
847 Posts
…why are we talking about this?
As distasteful as it is it is now part of snowboard culture. This guy seems to be another "professional vlogger' unaware of the FTC and YouTube rules about disclosure of freebies and affiliate links. Looking through most snowboard reviews and none seem to have the appropriate disclaimers around free gear (even if just lent as a demo) they got or affiliate links.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You know, as much as people hate him for claiming he is a "pro" snowboarder, I have to say he is doing good making it happen. I have met him a couple of times on the hill and he always has a lot of followers and is a genuine person to talk to. If he can make it work, kudos for him. I don't normally hate people unless people directly causing me hassle or shit. I let people do whatever the heck they want but haters are gonna hate.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
He's a better freestyle rider than I am, and people apparently like watching his videos. If I were riding with him I'd learn things. Maybe the question should be "why aren't more people doing this?" Democratization of snowboard content is a great thing. This stuff is more relatable to me than watching the real pros.

I played guitar in a bar band in college and got paid for it. Technically that makes me a professional player, but I'm light years away from being able to do what, say, Steve Vai does. Still, for people who know nothing about the guitar, the shit I can do blows their mind as much as what Steve Vai does because they have no context for how difficult something might be. New players can also learn a ton from me showing them how to play.

I think there's a place for everyone at the table.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Kook seems harsh. Professional snowboarder seems like hyperbole to me.... Professional vlogger seems to be the most accurate description in here so far.
It's just for different kind of viewers. Most enthusiasts like us would prefer watching Tommie B for tricks and stuff. A lot of quiver fanatics also like to watch BoardArchieve or AngrySB for board reviews but I am not so much a quiver person. But for 90% of the riders that just do 10 days or less a year, JB is perfect for more of a lifestyle influencer. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,152 Posts
It's just for different kind of viewers. Most enthusiasts like us would prefer watching Tommie B for tricks and stuff. A lot of quiver fanatics also like to watch BoardArchieve or AngrySB for board reviews but I am not so much a quiver person. But for 90% of the riders that just do 10 days or less a year, JB is perfect for more of a lifestyle influencer. Different strokes for different folks.
Good point, I'll go out of my way to watch Angry, but JB is boring for the most part.

I did find his getting busted at Keystone video interesting. JB and his compadres were riding totally under control and definitely not going too fast for conditions, keeping their distance from other riders/skiers, etc. I don't think they really could have been any safer than they already were. Yet the Keystone fun police pulled their passes and forced them to attend a "safety class" before they could use them again. Ridiculous.

Just confirms why I haven't been on an Epic mountain in years. I loved Breckenridge, but every time I went there were more "slow" signs up and in some really annoying places. Just as was really starting to get my carve on, there'd by a slow sign and some idiot signaling me to slow it down. Not only that, they'd put them at merges so everybody slows at the merge, resulting in a more clogged up and dangerous merge. And since I had to slow at the merge, that meant no cutting across the face to bleed off speed since that could/would result in going into oncoming traffic, which tends to freak people out. Also seemed like there were different standards for skiers and boarders - at least back then...

1 - 20 of 261 Posts