Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
As an instructor I do think Buckhouse is extremely bad for the community especially since he offers his overpriced shitty summer camp where he "teaches" people how to snowboard.
99% sure he hasn't gone through any certification in order to understand how to properly teach different personalities, styles, what to look for and feel bad for the people that think going to a $3,000 summer camp is going to improve their riding. Understandable why Tommie Bennett stopped working with cuckhouse since he's an actual fully certified AAS 3 snowboard instructor.

Also side note; I want to drip wax on my eyeballs whenever bucky boy does his sticker shout outs or begs people to subscribe to watch more of him come off rails early, case jumps, over rotate spins and or look like he's taking a shit whenever he carves
rant over.
Wow. that's next level fucked. If cuckhouse is offering "coaching", and isn't qualified to do that through being an AASI certified instructor, that's ripping people off, IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow. that's next level fucked. If cuckhouse is offering "coaching", and isn't qualified to do that through being an AASI certified instructor, that's ripping people off, IMO.

Not only does he offer the camp, but he uses Tommie Bennett's phrases all day. I think to try to poach people who watch his content. He constantly says "My Goal is to make you a better rider", where Tommie says "My goal is to make you as awesome of a rider as possible". Then Buckhouse proceeds to not give tips the entire video. He says that every other video, yet doesn't even teach anyone anything. Then he'll throw out an "instructional video" somewhere that you can tell makes no sense, because his instructions and what he does aren't even matching. It's horrible. He also uses other Tommie Bennett catch phrases like "I'm going to get nerdy with you on this" and proceeds to talk about basic things, but incorrectly.

Then he promotes his summer camp which is crazy. He started by helping Tommie Bennett with his camp initially and then decided to make his own costing like 3k, saying he will "make you a better rider". Then he basically talks down on his buddy Cody by saying "Cody came to my camp, and now HE WORKS FOR ME!". The dude has such an ego.

If you notice, this is my first post. That's because I started riding last year at 30, and I wanted to give ya'll a perspective of a newer rider. I was one of the people who, when starting, wanted to watch some youtube videos to understand the culture. Who's the first person I see? BUCKHOUSE! I started watching his videos because he had constant videos pumping out and I couldn't get enough of the sport. I started thinking that was actual snowboarding. He was turning me into a kook and I didn't even know. Once I found actual pro rider channels / video parts / shows and started getting into real online snowboard culture, and engraining myself into the snowboard culture here, I realized how dumb I was. The dude relies on trapping people who just start and creating a following of minions. I'm so embarrassed in myself that I used to watch his videos regularly. I like Tommie Bennett and Casey Willax because they're real dudes and are unique. Buckhouse seems greedy and just wants to appear sweet without putting in actual work or having an actual personality that's his. It's cheap, and he's a copycat, and I can see why Tommie doesn't fux with him anymore.

I'm glad that he is growing the sport by helping to keep beginners involved with it, because I do want the sport to stick around (I just found it!), but he needs to start being honest with himself and people who view his shit. All it takes is for him to promote actual riders / events and be honest with the viewers about his level of riding. But of course he doesn't even do that. Props to him for making money though I guess.

·
Registered
397 Posts
@IroningBoard it's all good man, it can take time to figure out the people worth watching and listening to.
Check out Avran at Angry Snowboarder. He's friends with Casey, and his website has been going for a good 12ish years, AFAIK. YT channel for maybe 9 years , a long time before cuckhouse dribbled onto social media and somehow managed to find his own ass with both hands and a flashlight.
Brutally Honest, Great board reviews and livestream Q & As about 1/week or so. Ask intelligent questions and get informative answers. mention Slim Whitman - he will be delighted. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3 Posts
@IroningBoard it's all good man, it can take time to figure out the people worth watching and listening to.
Check out Avran at Angry Snowboarder. He's friends with Casey, and his website has been going for a good 12ish years, AFAIK. YT channel for maybe 9 years , a long time before cuckhouse dribbled onto social media and somehow managed to find his own ass with both hands and a flashlight.
Brutally Honest, Great board reviews and livestream Q & As about 1/week or so. Ask intelligent questions and get informative answers. mention Slim Whitman - he will be delighted. :ROFLMAO:
\

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. Avran is actually the dude that made me realize how ridiculous Buckhouse was. He's definitely more my type of guy. Loved seeing him post on here haha!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
pity about the edit, you were making some good points there. I wonder where all of cuckhouse's income is actually generated from....
he seems to have a bunch of people somehow willing to part with 2500USD or whatever to "learn" from him at his mt hood summer camp thing. That plus YT income & whatever side hustles are going on...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
pity about the edit, you were making some good points there. I wonder where all of cuckhouse's income is actually generated from....
he seems to have a bunch of people somehow willing to part with 2500USD or whatever to "learn" from him at his mt hood summer camp thing. That plus YT income & whatever side hustles are going on...
From his "Sticker shout outs???"

"And don't forget to smash than like button".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate that I had to sign into this website because one of your or maybe it wasn't sent me this crap.

First and foremost, don't ever besmirch the legacy that is Fred Rodgers. EVER! That guy deserves Sainthood status. Buckhouse will NEVER BE ON HIS LEVEL. All of us posting here could learn a thing or two from Mr. Rodgers and how to be good humans and I say this completely hypocritical because I hate everyone.

Now lets dive into the 10,000 word essay I'm about to write because unlike Buckhouse I didn't learn how to read in the 5th grade and can actually articulate a thought beyond the wet farts he expels from his suck hole.

To anyone that says he "rides better than me so that makes him pro", "his videos are slick and polished", or " I wish I could be like him". You need to up your standards because they're fucking dog shit!

As someone that's done team development and brand building he isn't even good enough to be considered D team. The regional guys that ride Copper are better than him on their worst day. Early offs, zeaches, only hits the small shit and yes the jumps he hits are the small line, his 630 to 90 reverts and claiming 720's, and the fact he CAN'T EVEN FUCKING HOLD AN EDGE! Don't even get me started on his switch riding. Dudes skill level is so mediocre maybe some of you praising his riding should spend some time upping your game because it's soggy. I say this as someone that's watched him ride in person multiple times a season.

Polished and quality? He uses a whack follow cam angle with a wide angle lens. There's nothing cinematic about it, he's doing the basic minimum to cut the start/end of a clip and try to sync it to music, music he just found for free on Soundcloud and isn't given the artist any credit. You want polished and stylized, go watch an old ISENSEVEN edit and you'll see they were surpassing anything he did 15 years ago. His angles are whack and he's beholden to the Hypersmooth 2.0 on his GoPro. If you gave him a real camera he would look like a monkey fucking a football as he fumbled it. Once again repeat after me "UP YOUR STANDARDS!"

Anyone that wishes they could be like him I feel bad for. I'm in a unique position that 1. I live locally to him and see how he treats people here. 2. I also get a lot of DM's on the gram with conversations people have had with him. Who he projects himself as vs who he is are two different things and a lot of people have a para-social relationship with him that puts the blinders on them. Dude would sell anyone out for a dollar and he has. I've seen him belittle a 15 year old kid for being "poor" because the kid called out his sloppy spins and claims of being pro. You're a 32 year old male talking down to a kid about how much money you make, how his parents pay for his phone still, and how you're getting paid to snowboard and make mediocre content. As much as I love talking shit to 15 year olds, it's mostly because I understand the cultural aspect of snowboarding and how to make them rethink their I know everything attitude and hope that it enlightens them. The generation above me did it to me and so I shall continue it.

Is he a pro snowboarder? NO! Unequivocally he's not even in the realm of a real pro snowboarder. What he is, is a professional vlogger who uses YouTube as his medium coupled with snowboarding. By the peoples standards that he is a "pro" I too am a pro then. I get paid to ride snowboards, it's a great job, and I'm making a good living at it. But I am not a pro snowboarder and neither is he. Which going into the whole aspect of him claiming he's pro, he started giving himself that title when his fan base kept asking if he was. They asked this because their standards are too fucking low. In that time he tried to change the narrative at one point to say that his "haters" gave him that title and put it back on them. What he realized was that using "pro" in the title of videos became clickbait and it upped where his videos are presented in the YouTube Algorithm. It's much like how I use the tag "expert advice" in all my reviews and videos. It pushes them higher internally in YouTube. Is he paying his bills from vlogging about snowboarding? Yeah. But I'm also paying my bills by doing video reviews about snowboards. If you put him on the pro level, you have to put people like me and idiot Kevin from SnowboardProCamp there as well. News flash, we all suck as riders and shouldn't be on the pro level. Casey on the other hand is an anomaly in the YouTube sphere as he rides at a professional level, films at a mostly professional level, and in a true sense of the word is a real professional. I'm stoked to see him get a legit promodel and hope that it helps elevate his personal brand to the people that snowboard.

Now lets talk about his bullshit at Keystone. First and foremost he never once put up the "unedited" interaction he had. It has jump cuts all over it and he puts himself in there to interject his .02 on everything. I actually got popped about 12 years ago in that same spot and had my pass pulled on a midweek day during the WWSRA demo for doing a Euro carve right around that corner. This was the first time I got banned for life from Vail Resorts. He was riding on a Saturday on School Marm doing jackass shit. I actually talked with one of the Mountain Safety that made the call to stop him, what you guys saw and what caused it and the interaction is not what happened. If he had played it cool they would have given him a verbal warning over the written one that goes into your pass holder file. He didn't have to attend a safety class, but if he did anything else that season that riled them up he would. What happened was his wife (she actually runs the show) convinced him to push it to the local media and make the vlogs about it (she's an even worse human than him). They made it a big deal, when it wasn't. Anyone that's ridden Keystone knows that Schoolmarm is a 2 mile long beginner run that is a family friendly zone. On weekends you don't do jackass shit on it. But he wanted to play the victim, and that's what he did. That video made him about 3k in revenue, gained him I think something like 39k new subscribers and boosted his ego. From there he changed to the clickbait format.

He is essentially the king of the kooks. His logo is stolen from a T-Shirt shop in Steamboat, he tried to trademark it. It's literally been on t-shirts since the mid 90's. Have you ever asked yourself why most self respecting brand will not work with him? It took him over 5 years to get that Christy's sponsorship and that only happened because they are in the midst of an organization change as the company sold. The reason he's on Clew is because he begged the local Union guys for free stuff because it would up their "amazon sales as he's a highly influential vlogger". My friend that runs the account he reached out to blocked him and laughed. Dudes so delusional he thinks that Amazon sales help the local reps sales. They don't. He should have done something to promote the local shops, but he has never once set foot in a core shop, because it's beneath him.

Three days ago a colleague of mine that runs the marketing department for a little resort sent me screen shots from their front office guy who had an interaction with Buckhouse. Basically he walked in dropped his business card, demanded multiple free lift tickets, and was offended when the guy at the counter didn't know who he was. This is a little mom and pop resort that the tickets are very affordable at. For someone that likes to brag about how much money they're making he sure seems to refuse to pay it into the industry that sustains him. Kind of a jackass move and shows how much of a peasant he truly is. Kevin from ProCamp is doing the same shit and actually tried to tell a resort in Idaho they needed to pay him to come to their resort and film a vlog. Entitlement is a hell of a drug.

Earlier this week I ran into Tommie B and had a nice long chat with him about Youtube, Snowboarding, Buckhouse, and the state of the culture and industry. Actually walked away with more respect for Tommie and a better understanding of where he's coming from. But I also got the run down of why he and Buckhouse aren't working together. It boils down to ego and how Buckhouse will sell out over and over for the first person to wave 20 bucks in front of his face. It's why he jumped from Outdoor Master to Khuno to Clew to whomever will dangle cheap cash in his face. Dude doesn't care about snowboarding at all he cares about exploiting it. But at the same time he wants the respect of people in snowboarding. It's rather comedic.

To add another reason why he sucks to this I'll talk about his interactions with my friend AJ who is a San Juan Guide. AJ saw in reels or some shit that he was talking about Backcountry and splitboards. For frame of reference AJ is a devoted guide, been buried, extricated bodies, and done rescues. I'd put my life in his hands without any hesitation because he's just that educated and devoted. But basically he reached out to Buckhouse to say "hey I see you're in CO and trying to do some BC stuff, you're giving out some bad advice, but if you wanted to learn the proper way to do things and make yourself a stronger rider and educated your base I'd be willing to help." His response was something along the lines of "yeah I don't know what I'm talking about but it doesn't matter because neither does my fanbase" That's some serious ego shit right there that needs to be put in check. This is along the lines of idiot Kevin filming and riding in Whistler in a avy zone as they were blasting (this is why Kevin doesn't have an epic pass this year and isn't in Whistler).

I'm going to have to continue this...
I created an account just to say I love you and this take. I’m new to boarding and Buckhouse vids were the very first I saw and it took me all of 20 seconds to detect the dbag vibe. Found Willax because of him tho so it’s a win in the end. BC is something that I’ve always wanted to do and now that me and my wife are moving someplace where I can snowboard as apposed to surf it’s appalling to me to see the horrible advice he was giving out. I’ve never taken a class and I know the shit he was spouting could easily get people killed. His “fan base” isn’t huge but it’s large enough to run the risk that someone could die as a direct result of his bullshit and if that’s not a telling personality trait, then I don’t know what is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am almost embarrassed to say that a Jonathan buckhouse video is what set me back on the path to snowboarding. Not just him but I was watching his vids for a while. Yeah he has high levels of kook in his blood but I think ultimately he's harmless 🤷‍♂️ he's definitely aimed more at kids and I wouldn't look for his take/review on any equipment. But I guess a lot of people like that easy watching. Me personally, I couldn't bring myself to watch him straight air or shifty another jump 😂 watched his review on the Capita DOA a while back and it was pretty bad. Said very little about the board but lots of talk about stickers lol.

Another one that gives me kook vibes is Tommy Bennett for some reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am almost embarrassed to say that a Jonathan buckhouse video is what set me back on the path to snowboarding. Not just him but I was watching his vids for a while. Yeah he has high levels of kook in his blood but I think ultimately he's harmless 🤷‍♂️ he's definitely aimed more at kids and I wouldn't look for his take/review on any equipment. But I guess a lot of people like that easy watching. Me personally, I couldn't bring myself to watch him straight air or shifty another jump 😂 watched his review on the Capita DOA a while back and it was pretty bad. Said very little about the board but lots of talk about stickers lol.

Another one that gives me kook vibes is Tommy Bennett for some reason.
Whatever your viewpoint is on Tommie Bennett, he at least tries to engage his viewers to enter the real snowboard culture. He claims all the time he does his YouTube videos as another gig to supplement his other job of actually instructing kids on the mountain. I've also jumped in some of his livestreams and he's definitely a lot more genuine than Buckhouse is and tries to point people in the right direction. He may not be "cool" to you but he at least isn't hurting the snowboard culture. Even the things he is trying to sell in the future (his goggles) are done the right way, using Zeiss VIVID lens' and real construction (saw it on his livestream). He also mentioned how he wants to get riders for his brand to build a team when releasing them, because he wants things done the right way. Also, he tells people not to engage with the fake snowboard companies ruining the culture. So I'd really say he is a pretty decent guy who I'm not embarrassed to follow.

Granted I AM a newer rider so I've been watching all the big name pro youtube accounts (mcmo/torstein/zeb/stale/gimbalgod/Angry,etc). If there's any other suggestions, feel free to let me know and post it on this thread. It'll help me and other new people in the scene. I'm not a Tommie Bennett plant, I just wanted to defend him because I don't think he should be grouped with Buckhouse, but what tf do I know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whatever your viewpoint is on Tommie Bennett, he at least tries to engage his viewers to enter the real snowboard culture. He claims all the time he does his YouTube videos as another gig to supplement his other job of actually instructing kids on the mountain. I've also jumped in some of his livestreams and he's definitely a lot more genuine than Buckhouse is and tries to point people in the right direction. He may not be "cool" to you but he at least isn't hurting the snowboard culture. Even the things he is trying to sell in the future (his goggles) are done the right way, using Zeiss VIVID lens' and real construction (saw it on his livestream). He also mentioned how he wants to get riders for his brand to build a team when releasing them, because he wants things done the right way. Also, he tells people not to engage with the fake snowboard companies ruining the culture. So I'd really say he is a pretty decent guy who I'm not embarrassed to follow.

Granted I AM a newer rider so I've been watching all the big name pro youtube accounts (mcmo/torstein/zeb/stale/gimbalgod/Angry,etc). If there's any other suggestions, feel free to let me know and post it on this thread. It'll help me and other new people in the scene. I'm not a Tommie Bennett plant, I just wanted to defend him because I don't think he should be grouped with Buckhouse, but what tf do I know.
Yeah fair enough mate, I definitely wouldn't lump Tommie in the same category as Buckhouse. I'm new ( well just got back into it) to snowboarding as well so probably should pipe down on this :censored::)

In terms of recommendations I would say Malcolm Moore. Casey willax, Travis rice has some insane shit on YouTube. Some of it a few years old but it's quality. Also one I see you didn't mention was The House. I know some don't rate em but I find some of their stuff pretty helpful

·
Registered
17 Posts
Didn't know this clown even existed until this thread. Thanks alot guys. :cautious:

:LOL: To be honest, he's done well marketing wise. I'm from a dark and miserable corner of England and a few Fridays ago at the snow centre I saw a kid with his evolution sticker on his board. Looking "insane" as the man himself would say on his sticker shout outs ffs 🤣
In his defense, if I dare defend him lol. He does genuinely seem like he loves snowboarding, it's just a shame his videos are mostly clickbait kooky nonsense and instead of going the route of just putting out content which adds to the culture and displays a love of the sport, he went the "buy my merch" get the money route. Ironically I think the former would've Done it for him anyways maybe? Or maybe it's because he's just not quite good enough that people just wanna watch him ride so he has to do all the goofy shit?

Anyways that's the last I'm gonna say on him 🤣

181 - 200 of 200 Posts