Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Yeah fair enough mate, I definitely wouldn't lump Tommie in the same category as Buckhouse. I'm new ( well just got back into it) to snowboarding as well so probably should pipe down on this :censored::)

In terms of recommendations I would say Malcolm Moore. Casey willax, Travis rice has some insane shit on YouTube. Some of it a few years old but it's quality. Also one I see you didn't mention was The House. I know some don't rate em but I find some of their stuff pretty helpful
I like Malcolm Moore's channel. TB is okay as well

·
Registered
2010 Burton Easyliving & airblaster kit or 22 Capita Mega Mercury and Volcom Kit
13 Posts
I stumbled onto buckhouse only through researching for a new board. Immediately felt underwhelmed but the content and the “board review” was worse than useless.

Willax I watched after his Bombhole thinking I have no idea who this guy is and immediately connected with his style of content. Then I realized I’d actually seen his videos a few years before via YT algorithms researching for an OS trip.

It’s very interesting reading the viewpoints put forward here on Buckhouse, SBC etc and have to agree with most of it. Although I did enjoy SBCs videos here in australia just to see non aussies take on our terrain.

I find Willax resonates with me a lot like I do with the Loam Ranger in mountain biking. The travel, fairly humble vibe and just having a lot of fun is my kind of stuff, outside of the proper pro rider content.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the way Angry describes the rides….
But I do wish there were more vids demonstrating the type of ride being described.

I know some channels like GoodRide/SnowboardRobot aren’t the “best” riders… but watching their videos provides a good visual aid in how a board may ride and perform.
(tbf.. any “good” rider can make even the shittiest snowboard look amazing).

Like.. I’m looking at some Ride snowboards on sale… and trying to figure out how 3 Carbon stringers vs. 5 Carbon stringers changes the ride aside from “more pop”, (ditto for their double vs single “impact plates”) it is hard to find and see a good answer without being able to demo.

Same w/ all these different wood cores/fibreglass - i.e. Jones Stratos is supposed to be an upper-intermediate-advanced board, but they use Biax fibreglass… something cheaper, more entry level boards generally use.

So it’s sometimes hard... for someone trying to get into the sport to get all the right info. It’s too easy for people looking to get more info to stumble upon JB, see that he rides marginally better than them... And look up to that. Especially now that YT doesn’t have downvote meters

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I like the way Angry describes the rides….
But I do wish there were more vids demonstrating the type of ride being described.

Like.. I’m looking at some Ride snowboards on sale… and trying to figure out how 3 Carbon stringers vs. 5 Carbon stringers changes the ride aside from “more pop”, (ditto for their double vs single “impact plates”) it is hard to find and see a good answer without being able to demo.

Same w/ all these different wood cores/fibreglass - i.e. Jones Stratos is supposed to be an upper-intermediate-advanced board, but they use Biax fibreglass… something cheaper, more entry level boards generally use.

So it’s sometimes hard... for someone trying to get into the sport to get all the right info. It’s too easy for people looking to get more info to stumble upon JB, see that he rides marginally better than them... And look up to that. Especially now that YT doesn’t have downvote meters
Riding in the videos is more vanity than actual help to anyone. It really provides zero value and takes away from the knowledge and information being dropped. People then concentrate on the riding more than what's being said. People can argue with me about it all they want but when I'm riding a board I'm not caring how proper my nose presses are I'm caring about where the flex point is in relation to how much effort I'm putting in. Or I'm side slipping half a run to see how hard of an impact my knees are taking at mach 10 speeds while not catching an edge and dying. You want to see me ride show up to one of the meet ups we're planning this year or wait for my 40 for 40 birthday edit I'm making (still not sure it's going to go off the way I want).

Carbon array 3 to carbon array 5. Yes it's more carbon in the 5 which translates to more snap. It's also placed different so that it hits the effective edge/contact point in a different area. What this does is when you drive into the binding and flex it from the inserts it pushes that energy out through the carve to give it that power in the edge. Conversely when you load up to pop the rebound from the 5 will hit differently and react faster than the 3 thus giving it a slightly faster snap.

Biax glass isn't a "cheaper" component. It has its place over Triax or quad glass. It's used in that board design to give it the feel/characteristics they want. If they bumped that board up to Triax it would be stiffer and more damp but it would lose some of its playful feel and effect the torsional flex that helps with the twist when you're steering it. The other thing you're not looking at is it biax 45, 80, 90, etc. That's the pattern of the weave in it and that effects power dynamics in the board.

This is why I have the Explained series, sure you get a video a week but I try to break it down to as simple of an understanding as possible so people can go "oh more snap" or "oh more flex" etc. etc. It keeps people from over analyzing it and getting analysis paralysis when they are shopping. Plus it's 52 thought free videos that take me about 20 minutes from start of filming to completion of editing to make so it's a relative easy way to earn a passive income. If you're really trying to nerd out you need to go investigate further and do the research yourself.

But to cap this off Buckhouse, Beastie, and Kevin are kooks. They are people that snowboard, not snowboarders.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Love that he's talking about not needing a stomp pad while flashing his evolution branded one. I'm betting there's another video where he talks up stomp pads and the benefits of his branded version
I Ride with backpack, fan of stomp pads with our watery conditions in Oz and absolutely love OT chips whilst riding. Sadly though, I'm not rocking with an evolution sticker???

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Not at all. I think cuckhouse probably just wanted to video himself and friends actually having fun, to begin with, and then the $$$$$$$$$$ became the goal.
So I had friends that used to work with him at Target, his original goal was to film him doing his first 100 day season ever. He had lived in Summit County for 8 or 9 years at this point and never gotten 100 days. That's pretty sad when you think he went to work at 3pm every day except his first year where he was a ticket scanner. Somewhere in there it morphed into him being an expert that has ridden for 20 plus years, which is really weird when there's video of him talking about how he had only ridden for 2 or 3 seasons before moving here. The math adds up to maybe he's had 15 years max on snow. And 10 of those he never got 100 days.

In that time he also watched some YT videos from guys like Darrel Eaves, Timmy Schmoyer, and Roberto Blake on how to grow his channel, then took the Logan Paul route and went full vlog crap seller. His age demographic skews super young in comparison to his age, something like a 17 year age gap.

Honestly what really blew him up was the Keystone video where he got popped for speeding on a green run. He took his self entitlement to another level and just cut the video over and over and over again saying "raw footage" then got a hold of the local news and other publications to push it. Anyone that's lived in Summit for more than a year knows on a Saturday holiday weekend you don't ride School Marm, but he needed to go show off to beginners and thus started his climb. That netted him something like 70k more subscribers and he's milked that since. Add to that clickbait and an embracing of being a super kook and there you have it.

YT favors long form content right now anything over 20 minutes. Hence why he pushes for 22 minute videos. This gives him more ads run and a higher cpm plus better favorability in the algorithm. Add to that his pushing of lame ass products, basically any company that gives him money, and there's the recipe. He's a modern day snakeoil salesman. He's a dude that snowboards not a snowboarder and he knows it.

Funny fact he was home schooled and yet didn't learn how to read till the 5th grade. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

Also anyone with his sticker is a sure sign they might have extra chromosomes.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
So I had friends that used to work with him at Target, his original goal was to film him doing his first 100 day season ever. He had lived in Summit County for 8 or 9 years at this point and never gotten 100 days. That's pretty sad when you think he went to work at 3pm every day except his first year where he was a ticket scanner. Somewhere in there it morphed into him being an expert that has ridden for 20 plus years, which is really weird when there's video of him talking about how he had only ridden for 2 or 3 seasons before moving here. The math adds up to maybe he's had 15 years max on snow. And 10 of those he never got 100 days.

In that time he also watched some YT videos from guys like Darrel Eaves, Timmy Schmoyer, and Roberto Blake on how to grow his channel, then took the Logan Paul route and went full vlog crap seller. His age demographic skews super young in comparison to his age, something like a 17 year age gap.

Honestly what really blew him up was the Keystone video where he got popped for speeding on a green run. He took his self entitlement to another level and just cut the video over and over and over again saying "raw footage" then got a hold of the local news and other publications to push it. Anyone that's lived in Summit for more than a year knows on a Saturday holiday weekend you don't ride School Marm, but he needed to go show off to beginners and thus started his climb. That netted him something like 70k more subscribers and he's milked that since. Add to that clickbait and an embracing of being a super kook and there you have it.

YT favors long form content right now anything over 20 minutes. Hence why he pushes for 22 minute videos. This gives him more ads run and a higher cpm plus better favorability in the algorithm. Add to that his pushing of lame ass products, basically any company that gives him money, and there's the recipe. He's a modern day snakeoil salesman. He's a dude that snowboards not a snowboarder and he knows it.

Funny fact he was home schooled and yet didn't learn how to read till the 5th grade. That should tell you all you need to know about him.

Also anyone with his sticker is a sure sign they might have extra chromosomes.
Avran,..., I'd imagine there would be a lot of tension if you'd ever trip across the path of JB in the local supermarket.

201 - 220 of 261 Posts