Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I couldn't make it through the whole thing, the actual scenes of pow riding I saw just made me sad. That was some of the worst "deep" pow riding I've every seen. For someone getting as many days as he claims over the last few seasons I just can't comprehend how he can be soooooo, bad in pow
Now watch the willax video at jay peak and compare...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Now watch the willax video at jay peak and compare...

I'd much rather watch these boys ride. Vibes are all time, and their banter is better as well. I've been following C Dub casually for years; I like the Overstoker too. His channel is too much about surfing for me these days, but I appreciate that he's living his best life.

I noticed Willax and crew doing a maneuver I used to love but I'm trying to get away from now. Hockey stops in the trees are no good in my book. It's fine here and there, but it's easy to blind yourself in the white room. I've been trying to stay out of the white room lately, and my riding has improved for it. I also think it's good to have in your pocket as a safety measure just in case you need to stop abruptly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I noticed Willax and crew doing a maneuver I used to love but I'm trying to get away from now. Hockey stops in the trees are no good in my book. It's fine here and there, but it's easy to blind yourself in the white room. I've been trying to stay out of the white room lately, and my riding has improved for it. I also think it's good to have in your pocket as a safety measure just in case you need to stop abruptly.
Same, I rather give face shots than take them 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'd much rather watch these boys ride. Vibes are all time, and their banter is better as well. I've been following C Dub casually for years; I like the Overstoker too. His channel is too much about surfing for me these days, but I appreciate that he's living his best life.

What new Board is CW riding here? Looks very slightly directional. He doesn't list it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Looks like an open road maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Reading up on this board and it's specs, only 8mm taper, 25mm longer nose than tail, 0.4mm set back camber. Figures why you see him leaning heavily weighted back on the rear foot in the deeper powder areas. Daly in the fluro gear looks heaps more centred on his fish tailed ride. Mate, I'd definitely be riding a dedicated powder board in those epic conditions. CW puts a pretty well edited/constructed high quality video out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Reading up on this board and it's specs, only 8mm taper, 25mm longer nose than tail, 0.4mm set back camber. Figures why you see him leaning heavily weighted back on the rear foot in the deeper powder areas. Daly in the fluro gear looks heaps more centred on his fish tailed ride. Mate, I'd definitely be riding a dedicated powder board in those epic conditions. CW puts a pretty well edited/constructed high quality video out.
+1. definitely looks like a Lago Open Road. about 9-11sec into the video, Casey gets air and you can see the black and red base.
Casey Willax does also have a collab/pro model of the Lago double barrel.
might have been a limited run thing.

Blue Textile Sleeve Paint Jersey

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Just watching Roman riding. Whilst it's great that JB is teaching him to snowboard, Roman looks like he is struggling to do any turns. He's be riding a little now as well but it's just point down the mountain stuff before he falls over. This would be the best footage JB is putting in as well.
Now I had my kids skiing from 2 years and my son could do blue runs at 4. He jumped over to snowboarding around 7 to 8 I think and picked it up mega fast within a week as he could skateboard. Also bearing in mind being an Aussie we unfortunately don't live on the mountain like JB does so this is an issue as well.

So the question is when is the best age to start snowboarding? In my mind it depends on the child's ability to want to take it in.
I suppose JB is selling heaps of Roman stickers for his shout outs. "Keep evolving and smash that like button".

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,078 Posts
You'd be surprised how quickly some kids pick it up. My youngest was riding top to bottom of Cardrona last year when he was 5 and a half. Not exactly turning on both edges, but he gets there! He's picked it up quicker than his older brother and sister because he's trying hard to catch up to them. The older kids started a bit later.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You'd be surprised how quickly some kids pick it up. My youngest was riding top to bottom of Cardrona last year when he was 5 and a half. Not exactly turning on both edges, but he gets there! He's picked it up quicker than his older brother and sister because he's trying hard to catch up to them. The older kids started a bit later.
Yeah Mani, I remember my son could ski at a pretty good speed for a youngster and snowplow turn on blue runs at 4 but when he fell over every now and then at speed I had to snap out and go and stand him up. I had a 6 yr old and a 4 year old and trying to keep them together on a run where they had no idea where they were going as all they wanted was to wiz off in any and every other direction was a feat in itself to conquer. I feel snowboarding would be harder to learn at an early age than skiing. Breaking out and skating independently would be out of their abilty until around 6.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,078 Posts
Yeah Mani, I remember my son could ski at a pretty good speed for a youngster and snowplow turn on blue runs at 4 but when he fell over every now and then at speed I had to snap out and go and stand him up. I had a 6 yr old and a 4 year old and trying to keep them together on a run where they had no idea where they were going as all they wanted was to wiz off in any and every other direction was a feat in itself to conquer. I feel snowboarding would be harder to learn at an early age than skiing. Breaking out and skating independently would be out of their abilty until around 6.
Yeah agreed, skiing is way easier at this age! This season the little menace will be 6 so hopefully I can get him learning some technique, and get him able to strap in by himself too.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,150 Posts
So the question is when is the best age to start snowboarding? In my mind it depends on the child's ability to want to take it in.
As a dad, I do like his videos with Roman. When I was instructing, the general rule of thumb was 5-6 years old was a good time to start skiing and 7-8 years for snowboarding, but kids grow up at different speeds.

141 - 160 of 200 Posts