Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Is that tune-up as bad as I think it is or am I just picky??

644 8
Hi all,

Just went to pickup my board from a local shop and I’m wondering how bad of a job they did.

They’ve had my board since Wednesday and I asked them to do a tune-up, edge sharpening and hot wax on it. The board was supposed to be ready today.

When I went to pick it up, they hadn’t done it yet so they asked if I minded waitingthen did things in a hurry. They mounted the bindings back in the wrong position and didn’t do a hot wax at all. I put cheap storage wax on the board at the end of the season and it looks like all they did was scrape it off and sharpen the edges.

The base is not flat with my edges and there’s a line in the board where they seem to have chewed into the base while sharpening the edges.
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Grey Tints and shades Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Tints and shades Flooring

I’ve had quite a few boards go through quite a few tune-ups and I don’t remember ever seeing this kind of stuff… am I being too picky? I’m leaving for a trip Wednesday so I don’t have much time to get it donc but I’m inclined to go back tomorrow to get it done again.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the pics it looks like something has slightly marked the base as they ran the base edge guide over the surface as it looks like it moves around just inside the edges This is very very minor and a Hot Wax will make this completely disappear so no sweat. Pretty poor to give it back to you like this even though you put pressure on them. Recommend you don't go back to that shop again. It takes me just under an hour to do a good full tune ie base and side edge diamond polish, wax, scrape and rotor brush/horse hair, polish topsheet. Waiting for wax to solidify/harden adds additional time but it's no work time here.
Glad if it’s not that big a deal. It’s hard to show on camera but there is a slight bevel where the base now sits above the edge beyond that line. Forgive my drawing skills but to the touch, it feels something like this. The bevel isn’t huge but there’s definitely a misalignment between base and edge. Does that change your diagnosis at all?
Rectangle Font Event Audio equipment Darkness

I’m definitely not going back there. This being said, I don’t really feel like I put pressure. I went to pick up my board at the moment they told me it’d be ready and it wasn’t. They told me they missed it and could do it if I was willing to wait. Didn’t expect them to botch it as I would have told them to do it the following day…!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was just the marks on the base, probably a minor issue like @Craig64 said. But the bevel, assuming it wasn't there before, indicates they obviously went to town with the edge tool. I would have thrown a fit if I were in your shoes. I'd ask for a base grind and a proper wax job if you can still trust them. :cautious:
That board was on its first year so definitely no bevel before. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts