Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the east coast so I'm normally dealing with groomed trails and ice but i can find an occasional pow stash. I spend most of my day in the park, jibs and jumps but i dont mind taking some fast laps here and there. And how is it compared to the burton joystick?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
It's not bad. Not really great either. Really though for ice I would at least shoot for the Outdoor from Capita if not the DOA.

Others I'd look at for grip purposes: Yes Jackpot, Rossi Trickstick, Flow Era, or Salomon Villain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
how big of a pow stash are we talking? I have the Ultrafear FK which is stiffer version. I liked it on the icy days because I felt the flat zone between the feet was predictable. The way I look at it, Mervin's Magne traction is like a serrated steak knife and the flat zone was like a smooth steak knife.

That said, I did have to spend more time than usual getting it set up right. I also feel like I have to ride it differently. I can't explain it, but I feel like I always have to be on an edge. On all of my other boards I have no problem riding on a flat base. With the Ultra fear, I have to get my weight more forward in order to go flat.

I rode it as a small sized board. I'm 5'10"/180 and rode a 155. I couldn't ride it in anything deeper than 4". Well, I could, but it was a lot of work and wasn't much fun.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the '09 indoor fk and the '09 ultrafear. I don't know how big of jumps you are hitting, but I personally don't like reverse camber boards. No meat in the tip or tail to land on so I tend to wash out if I don't land straight on the bolts. Float was good on both in the powder, but both if these decks were too soft for my liking, with the ultrafear being even softer than the indoor despite the higher stiffness rating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No it's not. The Ultra is a beefed up Horror. The Indoor is stiffer than even that.
Sure it is in terms of camber profile at least Horror is flat between the inside inserts and Indoor/Ultra are flat from the outside inserts.

For stiffness, this is what Capita says the flex rating is. I haven't actually ridden the Indoor, just assumed the Ultra was stiffer based on the Capita specs:
Horror - 3
Indoor - 5
Ultra - 5.5

To answer the OPs question, though, I think an Indoor Survival would be a good all around board if you sized it right. At the same time I agree with the DOA suggestion that Nivek made. Regular camber has some really good edge hold on the hard stuff. I've also never ridden on the East coast so my definition of riding ice is going to be different from yours.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Softer and less energetic. But a hair more stable with it being flat between the feet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
been riding the indoor for 2 years now. i love it for all around, but if you want a board that's more stable, i'd go with the ultrafear or the outdoor. mainly, if you're jibbing, get the ultrafear. if you're doing jumps, get the outdoor. also: if you're using burton bindings you might as well go with the joystick unless you want to get to bindings sooner or later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The ultrafear may be stiffer in theory but its not, the indoor survival has carbon stringers that makes is a little stiffer and more poppy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The ultrafear may be stiffer in theory but its not, the indoor survival has carbon stringers that makes is a little stiffer and more poppy.
this is true, actually. i mean, the advertised flex on the ultrafear is only .5 higher than the indoor survivals

·
Registered
73 Posts
how big of a pow stash are we talking? I have the Ultrafear FK which is stiffer version. I liked it on the icy days because I felt the flat zone between the feet was predictable. The way I look at it, Mervin's Magne traction is like a serrated steak knife and the flat zone was like a smooth steak knife.

That said, I did have to spend more time than usual getting it set up right. I also feel like I have to ride it differently. I can't explain it, but I feel like I always have to be on an edge. On all of my other boards I have no problem riding on a flat base. With the Ultra fear, I have to get my weight more forward in order to go flat.

I rode it as a small sized board. I'm 5'10"/180 and rode a 154. I couldn't ride it in anything deeper than 4". Well, I could, but it was a lot of work and wasn't much fun.

Hope that helps.
Capita doesn't offer a 154 ultrafear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts