Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi riders, need your advice.

Current rides:
Burton 2010 X8 @ 151, main ride
Burton 2010 SuperModelX @ 156, crud days
Burton SLX boots, 10.5
Burton CO2 binding. Just bought the Diode but did not try it out yet.

Profile:
Advanced free rider
Prefers off-piste when possible
Will do jumps when in mood
Can't ride switch even if my life was depended on it.
Live in Europe and ride mostly in Austria, conditions are iffy. Hard pack & ice are norm.

I love the X8, though it is a freestyle board, it still handles all mountain just fine and a lot of fun to goof around on. Just finished one glorious week near Ischgl, pow everywhere. Exceptional year! For me the X8 can do it all except it gets a bit wild on ice and hard pack and forget about carving, washout left and right....

I am considering to replace the SMX camber board with a RC so it will overlap a bit with the X8 but still have great edge hold, carve, pow and a bit of fun. The SMX is a great board on crud days but nothing to goof around on and I like something a bit faster edge to edge.

Is the NS SL the right board to replace the SMX? If so, what size? I know it is softer than the SMX but I hope it is not as soft as the Custom. I have been riding Burtons, except one Atomic years ago.... Maybe time to try NS?

I will be in SLC next month (praying for pow) and maybe still can get one....?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thought about the Heritage, but how is it edge to edge and turnability? The GoodRide reviewed it as not so easy turning? I was looking for something a bit more playful than my SuperModelX.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Please don't read too much into the Goodride reviews. Their site looks nice but their competence regarding reviews is questionable ;)

I used to own a Heritage and for a freeride board it is definitely playful enough and I had no problems edge to edge, not even on the wide version. It is really damp which prevents it from being super playful but I think it fits your needs very well. You can even butter that board a bit but its strongest point is speed in my opinion. Also handled well in Pow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I kind of question the good ride reviews... can they possibly ride each board or more likely they go by the spec and give it a rating... ?

Thanks for the advise, I need a board to overlap the X8 a bit but not to the point of no edge hold and can't carve but not as stiff as the T6 or CustomX. Something a bit more playful than the SMX, can carve, can do POW, with pop.

NS website has the flex at 5.5 and the SL at 5.0 so I guess it isn't like a plank. Time to either pick one up here in EU or hope for a good sale at SLC....

What length do you recommend? 153? 155? I used to have the 159 T6 & 158 CustomX. Great for straights but a lot of wood to throw around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5'9" @ 160 lbs
175cm @ 72 kg

Stances:
Regular
Duck +18 / -8
Alpine +25 / +5

Called the UK importer, No Heritage to be found in Benelux. Maybe only the 158 which I think might be long for me.

He told me to try the Cobra.
Any advices on the Cobra??

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Agree that the Heritage would be the best match in the NS line for the OP. Ideal size probably 155, but 158 not out of the question - but will be a lot more bomber and less playful.

Cobra could work as well. Softer flex than the Heritage (nominally the same as the SL, but in reality probably a bit stiffer), so less bomber/more playful. Also slightly better in heavy pow (not much difference in the dry, fluffy stuff like we have in Japan).
Sizing probably the same as the Heritage, but 158 would be a lot more manageable than for the Heritage.

For serious pow riding would probably have to be 158 for either board: I am 68kg/150lbs and occasionally struggle with the 155 Cobra where I am - really should be on the 158.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I used to like long boards but maybe old age, maybe the 151 X8 performs so well, I am thinking about going shorter all the time....

I suppose the 153 will be more fun than 155 but I think the 155 should do better at speed. Less chatter I hope. I had a 154 Custom before, loved the edge to edge, felt like the base was rounded! But the chatter on the straights was unbearable!

Online I found some 155 in the States, maybe this is the way to go?

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As I read, the Cobra sits in between the SL & Heritage in terms of flex, damp, etc.

But I have read mixed reviews about the Cobra....
Choices... choices....

Many Cobras are available in USA right now.

I think for me the downer is the graphics... not big fan of having a big snake head on my topsheet....

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
As I read, the Cobra sits in between the SL & Heritage in terms of flex, damp, etc.

But I have read mixed reviews about the Cobra....
Choices... choices....

Many Cobras are available in USA right now.

I think for me the downer is the graphics... not big fan of having a big snake head on my topsheet....
Cobra is a good board. Might not live up to all the hype it received (especially on this forum), but as a one-board all-mountain quiver killer it can be a great choice. Like with any do-all board, there are some compromises and it is a bit of a 'Jack of many trades and master of none'. My main concern with recommending it actually is that it can encourage/reinforce some bad riding habits, so it is better suited for at least intermediate riders who are aware of technique issues and/or or people who are getting coaching/lessons.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks, thought about the Heritage, but how is it edge to edge and turnability? The GoodRide reviewed it as not so easy turning? I was looking for something a bit more playful than my SuperModelX.
I had the same reservations as you, and I trusted a few guys here and went with the Heritage and let me tell you, that thing turns easy as hell. Easier than my previous board, which The Good Ride has rated two more stars in terms of turnability. So, as stated, don't read too much into that source.

Go with the Heritage, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, appreciate the input.

Turnability is important to me. I like my SMX but it feels wide... because it is... but good for POW

Looks like it will be Heritage 155....
Any other thoughts?

Think prices will drop again in mid March? I have zero clue about NS prices. I buy lots of Burtons because aside from being great boards... CustomX & X8, around now the Burton Innsbruck shop has the 30% sale action.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same reservations as you, and I trusted a few guys here and went with the Heritage and let me tell you, that thing turns easy as hell. Easier than my previous board, which The Good Ride has rated two more stars in terms of turnability. So, as stated, don't read too much into that source.

Go with the Heritage, you will not regret it.
Yeah, I am starting to question the GoodRide's ratings. They have my X8 as 2* soft and Custom FV as 3*.... my son has the FV and it is no way softer than the X8... Well... maybe different guy sitting behind the keyboard knocking out the stars....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeah, I am starting to question the GoodRide's ratings. They have my X8 as 2* soft and Custom FV as 3*.... my son has the FV and it is no way softer than the X8... Well... maybe different guy sitting behind the keyboard knocking out the stars....
I found that you are better off to go with their typed up "In Depth Reviews" than the star/snowflake system. Like anything else, use this as simply one source and check out as many reviews as you can before making your decision. That's what I did and was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm only an intermediate rider and can't yet fully appreciate everything the board can do, but it was still amazing how awesome the thing rode compared to my old Burton.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I am similar size/style as you (aggressive freeride, limited park but like kickers/switch), own a Heritage and find it incredibly easy to turn (especially compared to my old cambers). I have ridden other RC's but found the Heritage's combo of edge-to-edge quickness and stability perfect for my style of riding. I found the Good Ride star ranking incongruous with the text in the same review...

"Despite the Never Summer Heritage’s damp aggressive design and wide waist it is very easy to turn. The side cut and camber/rocker contribute to making this board perform a lot better when leaning into a turn. You can transfer from edge to edge very well." Good Ride review

1 - 20 of 38 Posts