Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuning and waxing a guys boards today and he brought in his girlfriends Burton Deja Vu in to do.
The Deju Vu is a directional (-12.5mm) FV. I notice that they had mounted the stomp pad over the channel plug on the the front foot of the board. I rang the guy up and had removed the stomp pad to remount it on the rear position forward of the bindings. I told him the board was directional and they didn't realise this. The guy said his girlfriend (beginner) rides natural but when going up the T bars is goofy.

So I said to myself, WTF...., this sounds more likely to me she hasn't properly worked out her stance priority yet and would probably be goofy. Never seen this before or is she just born a natural switch rider?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
My wife has been snowboarding since the early 00s and now suspects she should have learnt to ride goofy all along. On a scooter she pushes with her left foot with her right foot forward. She might try to learn to ride goofy but it's going to take a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
They probably ride mongo on skateboards too.
Was pissed for a few days when I found out that I couldn't push my snowboard mongo.
Kinda glad I've never seen anyone go mongo on snowboard.
Just ordered a pool deck set up and going to start skating again as my son has shown an interest. Considering forcing my myself to push normal. Don't understand the mongo hate though.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It's awkward in some situations, but just skating around town you won't notice it. Never go full mongo, and you can avoid it. On a snowboard it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've got a friend who was also disappointed he couldn't push his snowboard mongo. Besides how it looks, mongo is way less stable of a pushing platform. Any small crack or pebble poses a bigger problem if your weight isn't over the front half of the board, and it's harder to steer from the rear while pushing. No hatred here though- I'm stoked you're getting back into it with your son. You planning on riding pools?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
@WigMar when I first started skating I just kind of taught myself. By the time I started skating with other people I was already mongo - I don't remember anyone saying anything, a couple of people I knew skated like that and it wasn't called mongo back then.

The wider shaped decks similar to what I rode in the 80's seem to be called pool boards these days, at least in the UK. I didn't want a cruiser as I can still pop a decent ollie and kick flip - much to the amazement of the kid next door. I couldn't bring myself to ride a popsicle - I remember when they started coming in I thought they looked like the boringest thing ever and way too much like those weird little boards that the freestyle nerds rode.

This is what I've ordered, just a blank as scratching up the Lee Ralph reissue I really wanted would have been heart breaking.
Screenshot_20200630-232941~2.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
I see. That's a really cool shape! Looks way more versatile than a cruiser. How wide is that, like 9 inches? I can't find a popsicle that's wide enough for my big feet lol. I might just get a pool board myself.

·
Registered
332 Posts
.....sort of like a tranny???
lol!

Non binary snowboarders
Is that what it is? I'm old skool, went to a boarding school with lots of country boys, and e.g. when I got toffed to the nines for my school formal, a couple of mates noted that I "look like some sort of g00k poofter", so.....

What is the correct terminology? Non-gender non-binary non-homo-heterosexual non-snowboarder.

I see. That's a really cool shape! Looks way more versatile than a cruiser. How wide is that, like 9 inches? I can't find a popsicle that's wide enough for my big feet lol. I might just get a pool board myself.
Do you need a popsicle? If you don't mind a more "classic" shape, the Powell Peralta decks can get pretty wide - I've got a Flight 280 that's 9.8in wide, the thing is pretty stable, for such a short wheelbase!! (compared to longboards).

Back on topic - yeah, I know a couple of peeps who ride regular and skate goofy. It is what it is! They are not non-gender-non-binary though - they clearly identify as having cocks-n-ballz.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rad board! It always surprises me how flat 80's boards are. Where's the concave? It's got to feel pretty different riding that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts