'm looking for any of the following in an XL:
  • Continuum Fuse in Black or Blue

• 2L Jacket in Black or Red
I

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh...in my experience people who buy AK stuff take care of it. I'm willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Eh...in my experience people who buy AK stuff take care of it. I'm willing to take the chance.
It's not about taking care of it. Waterproofing and breathability and the like can't ACTUALLY be replaced. Nikwax and the like is helpful to buy you some extra life but FAR from manufacturing quality.

For a jacket that old you need to find one someone left in a closet in good storage conditions. There's no way to take good care of outerwear while using it. For what your paying for in the AK line it doesn't make sense, it's why you also will have a hard time finding anyone selling one but if you really REALLY want it for some reason and find one go for it, to each their own right.

Out of curiosity what is it about this model year that has you so fixated that you'd want it over a new jacket?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity what is it about this model year that has you so fixated that you'd want it over a new jacket?
There are a couple of reasons:

Nostalgia is certainly a big part; I was living in Utah, which was a very important and formative time in my life, when this was released. I didn't have money at the time, so I couldn't afford it. However I always loved the look and quality of the AK kit, so there was a lot of coveting :) Over the years I've had some of the AK gear from this time, but never the 2L jackets above.

I loved the colorful themes of this time too. I hate...HATE...the drab direction so much of the outerwear has gone in recent years.

More pragmatically, the quality of the garments along with the lifetime warranty(no longer exclusive I know) was always very compelling. The fit during this time was also very much to my liking. I do not like the new fits. I lift weights (while also admittedly have some undesirable weight), and the fits now seem to be aimed at a very slight gentleman who's never picked up anything heavier than his assembled snowboard.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There are a couple of reasons:

Nostalgia is certainly a big part; I was living in Utah, which was a very important and formative time in my life, when this was released. I didn't have money at the time, so I couldn't afford it. However I always loved the look and quality of the AK kit, so there was a lot of coveting :) Over the years I've had some of the AK gear from this time, but never the 2L jackets above.

I loved the colorful themes of this time too. I hate...HATE...the drab direction so much of the outerwear has gone in recent years.

More pragmatically, the quality of the garments along with the lifetime warranty(no longer exclusive I know) was always very compelling. The fit during this time was also very much to my liking. I do not like the new fits. I lift weights (while also admittedly have some undesirable weight), and the fits now seem to be aimed at a very slight gentleman who's never picked up anything heavier than his assembled snowboard.
Hmm not sure what you mean by color as those are all what I'd consider to be drab or muted hahaha but I feel ya on not liking color directions.

As for fit this is definitely a thing but slim fit is going away a lot. When looking at gear most brands, Burton especially has different "fits" so make sure you look for the fit style you like. For example from Burton you'd want something from their relaxed or their oversized line if you like that fit. If you buy a jacket that happens to be in their slim or regular fit you're likely to have the complaints you do.

As for their lifetime warranty it is important to note that things like breathability and waterproofing aren't covered, and that's the biggest problem you'll have with old outerwear. But you can't compete with nostalgia and I'm a sucker there. But just don't let nostalgia trick you in to a bad purchase, been there done that :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts