Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
+1 on the collapsible water bottle for hydration. My friends are always trying to bum a sip of water off of me.

Sounds like I'm spoiled riding in the Rockies. 15K is more than enough out here, and Gore Tex gets sweaty fast. I can't even imagine riding in the rain. It snows here in the summer. Definitely match your outerwear to the conditions you'll see.
Brother from another mother!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried this Montec??? Much cheaper than Volcom annd Burton but very high quality, you will not find better quality price. Got my one last season and think will order another one this year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you tried this Montec??? Much cheaper than Volcom annd Burton but very high quality, you will not find better quality price. Got my one last season and think will order another one this year.

Montec/Dope are instagram/tiktok brands and nothing more.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here's a video from Angry: 37:00 minutes in.
I didn't watch the whole video but to be fair; what do you expect from a snowboardpant for 160 bucks? I'd actually say it looked very good for that price. Of course it will not be a product of great quality... it simply can't be for such a low price. People nowadays expect too much from "value- products" but with outerwear you get what you pay for it's as simple as that.
Sure there is some "brand-name-charge" with some brands but still, generally the brand names in outerwear are brand names because they make quality products...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't watch the whole video but to be fair; what do you expect from a snowboardpant for 160 bucks? I'd actually say it looked very good for that price. Of course it will not be a product of great quality... it simply can't be for such a low price. People nowadays expect too much from "value- products" but with outerwear you get what you pay for it's as simple as that.
Sure there is some "brand-name-charge" with some brands but still, generally the brand names in outerwear are brand names because they make quality products...
And they have a renewed section as well where you get an even better discount.

Honestly, for someone who only rides a few times a season you can't beat it with a stick. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
And yet you can get better quality products; with better water resistance and breathability from brands that actually support snowboarding for less than either of these trash brands. So yeah even for someone that only goes a few times a year you should expect better for what those trash brands are charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And yet you can get better quality products; with better water resistance and breathability from brands that actually support snowboarding for less than either of these trash brands. So yeah even for someone that only goes a few times a year you should expect better for what those trash brands are charging.
Better than 20k for less than $160? If you find that let me know I'm in the market for a new jacket. I don't think anyone's pretending it's top-shelf Gore-tex quality, but for what it is it's not a bad price is all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Better than 20k for less than $160? If you find that let me know I'm in the market for a new jacket. I don't think anyone's pretending it's top-shelf Gore-tex quality, but for what it is it's not a bad price is all.
You can find previous season stuff for that price that's way better and from brands that actually give a shit about snowboarding. A 3 sec google is showing:
  • Tactics and the House both selling last season's 686 GLCR Gore-Tex Core jacket for $167.
  • Backcountry, the House, Tactics, Evo, and Level Nine have the Volcom L Gore-Tex jacket for $171.
  • The House has the Burton Powline Gore-Tex for $163.
  • Quiksilver has their Mission Gore-Tex jacket for $119.
  • You can also find stuff on websites like Geartrade, Lone Pine Gear, and Locals Sale that put up slightly used stuff for super cheap. I got a new without tags 686 Thermagraph jacket on Locals Sale for $75 last season. They have AK jackets for $150 right now...

Stop peddling cheap garbage from companies that are just capitalizing on people that don't know any better for a quick buck.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Since dope doesn’t even offer a 20/20 jacket I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Most of their stuff is iron/tape on 15/15 waterproofing with little ability to breath even though the membrane is rated for both; the application is the issue. Again you can get a higher quality product from an actual snowboard company at 10/10, or 15/15 for the same price or less than what dope garbage is selling. If you move into their higher end jackets at 260 you’re topping out at 15/15, when you can get a 20/20 or better from a snowboard brand for a similar price.
it’s really just a question of do you want to support an inferior fast fashion brand with questionable aesthetics, or a snowboard brand that supports snowboarding. At the end of the day, price is comparable between the two options for similar ratings but you have to ask yourself what you want your money to support.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I often buy used stuff on ebay and local sale sites. More sustainable and you can get the high end stuff like Patagonia, AK, etc that actually works well and is built to last, without spending a fortune. I wholeheartedly agree with those above that cheap stuff is just more plastic that will be in trash shortly after purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since dope doesn’t even offer a 20/20 jacket I’m not sure what you’re referring to.
At the risk of angering eleveneightnate, at least one of their jackets I saw had 20/20. Now just for reference I'm not endorsing their stuff and I've never used it myself. I just don't get the elitist hate around it if it works good for the price.

You can find previous season stuff for that price that's way better and from brands that actually give a shit about snowboarding. A 3 sec google is showing:
  • Tactics and the House both selling last season's 686 GLCR Gore-Tex Core jacket for $167.
  • Backcountry, the House, Tactics, Evo, and Level Nine have the Volcom L Gore-Tex jacket for $171.
  • The House has the Burton Powline Gore-Tex for $163.
  • Quiksilver has their Mission Gore-Tex jacket for $119.
  • You can also find stuff on websites like Geartrade, Lone Pine Gear, and Locals Sale that put up slightly used stuff for super cheap. I got a new without tags 686 Thermagraph jacket on Locals Sale for $75 last season. They have AK jackets for $150 right now...

Stop peddling cheap garbage from companies that are just capitalizing on people that don't know any better for a quick buck.
Stop accusing me "peddling garbage" when I'm just asking honest questions based on what I've read or seen in reviews. I totally see the point about shopping around and buying used (the latter of which I've done myself), but try being nice about it instead of jumping to conclusions.

I'm genuinely sorry if I hit a nerve but that's still no reason to get combative over it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
At the risk of angering eleveneightnate, at least one of their jackets I saw had 20/20. Now just for reference I'm not endorsing their stuff and I've never used it myself. I just don't get the elitist hate around it if it works good for the price.

Stop accusing me "peddling garbage" when I'm just asking honest questions based on what I've read or seen in reviews. I totally see the point about shopping around and buying used (the latter of which I've done myself), but try being nice about it instead of jumping to conclusions.

I'm genuinely sorry if I hit a nerve but that's still no reason to get combative over it.
It's not "elitist hate" to suggest supporting snowboard brands instead of cheap instagram garbage. In fact, suggesting that people buy Dope/Montec is a big "fuck you" to the core snowboard industry, and yeah, that's something to get frustrated about unless you just want those brands to go out of business.

Did you even watch Angry's video? Even if the brand wasn't completely kooky (it is), it's made very poorly and you're still over here like "I've never used it, but it works good for the price" when he demonstrated it does not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not "elitist hate" to suggest supporting snowboard brands instead of cheap instagram garbage. In fact, suggesting that people buy Dope/Montec is a big "fuck you" to the core snowboard industry, and yeah, that's something to get frustrated about unless you just want those brands to go out of business.

Did you even watch Angry's video? Even if the brand wasn't completely kooky (it is), it's made very poorly and you're still over here like "I've never used it, but it works good for the price" when he demonstrated it does not.
I'm not arguing about it. And I'm also not paying $50+ or more just to have a label, whether they "support snowboarding" or not.

Peace.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not arguing about it. And I'm also not paying $50+ or more just to have a label, whether they "support snowboarding" or not.

Peace.
It's not a "label", you're recommending demonstrably poorly made products from a brand that's in the same price range as quality products. Again, watch Angry's video on their weird/cheap plastic membrane fabric...

If you'd rather buy a Dope/Montec jacket for $160 instead of a Volcom L Gore-Tex for $170, more power to ya.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I often buy used stuff on ebay and local sale sites. More sustainable and you can get the high end stuff like Patagonia, AK, etc that actually works well and is built to last, without spending a fortune. I wholeheartedly agree with those above that cheap stuff is just more plastic that will be in trash shortly after purchase.
Same in a way as I only buy high end models or generally [ak] line but always on EOS sales at 30/40% to sometimes 50% off. Ebay Au often has an extra 15 to 20% off gear on top of a stores already discounted price via that Stores Ebay site. This is a good time to strike. Stores always generally have min' 30% off every EOS sales and you buy from the store but pay through Ebay. I'm fortunate enough that I need men's XL/L and women's XS which are always last to sell each season. I grab a little bit of gear from Snowinn (ie hard to get items/tuning gear etc) every now and then and they often have super great prices but you have to factor in additional shipping $$ plus time into the equations which on lighter items isn't too bad. Amazon Au sometimes has gear for unbelievable prices but prices dramatically fluctuate around in there. I sort of relate Amazon to being a bit like a poker machine.

Another factor I put into equation is that [ak] gear always sells super quickly 2nd hand if its in good condition for reasonable prices so it's easy to update to later models for a much smaller outlay.

Unfortunately we live in a World where you pay for what you get. Often there is always a price for the brand but that comes with the benefits of a high quality item, superior tech' specs and superb warranty of their product. If you are wise you can considerably minimise this outlay by shopping smartly at the right time.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts