Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Jamie Lynn C3 or Gnu Billy Goat C3

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  adubg 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't decide which one to buy Jamie Lynn Phoenix C3 or Gnu Billy Goat C3. I don't hit the terrain park very much and mostly enjoy backcountry, groomers, and POW. I live in Arizona but I am from WA and frequently visit and snowboard most of the time there. I have tried a T. Rice but really didn't like the edge hold it felt squirrely and I just couldn't feel as confident on it. My prior board was a burton malolo 162 and before that a burton 7 and lib tech matt cummins. They seem pretty close to the same board but can't decide which one to pick! I haven't tried either and don't think Ill have the opportunity to. Based on my riding which one would be best? Thanks!:dizzy: BTW I'm 6'1" 178 pounds.

#4 ·
I had the Jamie Lynn last season. Such a rippin board. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but supporting pro models is a cool thing to do.

I rode mine in late season PNW powder and it charged through heavy mashed tater snow and crud. Great float too. This thing really feels locked in on turns, so I would put it at an intermediate to advanced riders board because I could see a newer rider catching a rough edge on this beast.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm 180#, last year rode a c2 BG159 split, in/out...worked great for everythng but deep beyond 16"...not a deep powder board like a malolo. I'd imagine a c3 will have a bit of pop and ride more like a cam for the groomed and packed. imo its a advanced/expert, really quick edge to edge, sure footed and loves to keep its nose in the fall line...requires dynamic riding with lots of cross unders and mentally to stay ahead of it.

btw...size 7 boots and it was just a hair too wide for my liking at 25.0...my preference is 24.75....so idk about size 10

#8 ·
What would you guys recommend for a good transition than from the Malolo with what is on lib techs/gnus new line up this years or last years? I'd say I'm and advanced rider. But not into really dong tricks (I don't go enough for that). I want a Mervin for the magnetraction for the NW riding at stevens and crystal. But wanna be able to hit powder and grooms no problem. Recommendations?

#16 ·
agreed, bg is not floaty, it is looser feeling, in part because it is torsionally softer...imo what make it want to keep the nose in the fall line. However it is lengthwise fairly stiff...so compared to like a banana, it does not fold up and there is something to push against when riding the deeper. So when riding deeper you just shift a tad to the aft...but it doesn't give way/fold up like a banana. There is not nearly as much rocker like a banana...so its a quick fore/aft shift to get on the nose/tail. In a way the bg is a very responsive board and just small/subtle movements to get it to engage. Its a lively board. I think the genius of the board is torsionally softer, longitudinally stiff and narrow for quick edge to edge. Idk but think the c3 might be an improvement. For me, I like to try a bg that nothing was changed but having it be a full cambered with a medium pop....much like an old women's gnu b-nice that was narrow, mag, cambered...that was such a fun lively board that had some pop. The bg has some pop but you have to load it up...it naturally just wants to fly straight off things with out pop...which is fine...cause it lands surefooted. If you get a goat...just know it is not a deep pow floaty board. Last year was riding some dry fluff that was thigh/waist deep but had a firm bottom...the goat handled the fluff and it would hit the bottom and keep going...a banana would have just folded, a pow deck would have never hit bottom.

Like any deck it is about what compromises are you willing to tolerate. I just think that the goat is the deck made for usual the pnw terrain and snow. Temple has a vid of riding the goat...that pretty says it all...and the pow he is riding is knee deep...not waist.

#21 · (Edited)
What about waist width?

Like I said I think im gonna go with the Jamie Lynn. However at 160cm the waist width of the board is 257mm as opposed to the Billy Goat 162cm at 253mm waist width. Am I gonna have a problem with the Jamie Lynn being too wide? My shoe size is a 10 US with low profile Salomon dialogue boots. I am 6'1" and weight 176 pounds. What do you guys think? I know lots of you guys have the T.Rice 161.5 which has a wist width of 160mm. I am now worried that it is too wide and I'm gonna have to return it. :dunno:

#22 ·
Like I said I think im gonna go with the Jamie Lynn. However at 160cm the waist width of the board is 257mm as opposed to the Billy Goat 162cm at 153mm waist width. Am I gonna have a problem with the Jamie Lynn being too wide? My shoe size is a 10 US with low profile Salomon dialogue boots. I am 6'1" and weight 176 pounds. What do you guys think? I know lots of you guys have the T.Rice 161.5 which has a wist width of 160mm. I am now worried that it is too wide and I'm gonna have to return it. :dunno:
Either one will be fine. But as I said in my last post, the BG will be somewhat quicker edge-to-edge, but depending on your riding the impact might be small.

#26 ·
The Jamie Lynn has a straighter side cut so it will be about the same width at the inserts
Received the board yesterday in the mail, it fits perfectly. In fact with my boots I have 1" over hang on either side. Shoes off I have about a 1cm over hang at 15/-15 deg at the inserts with heels at the edge. I love the graphics of this board! Can't wait to get out and try it. Unfortunately, I will be in Arizona until December. Hopefully Arizona sunrise will have some good snow this year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.