Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 374 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Bruising starting to come up now, painful and uncomfortable to ride with. On day 1 of all days.

View attachment 166443
Got any arnica or (over the counter) heparin cream (Hirudoid)?
Assuming no medical contra-indications, The heparin cream would help clear the old blood, post onsen soak, of course...
Arnica is generally better soon after the injury occurs, as an astringent to partly reduce swelling, along with ice packs.

· Registered
583 Posts
Careful out there everyone smashing the Japow, there have been avalanches taking out people in the back & side country around Nagano region, apparently. Looks like it was in Hakuba valley.

Having a shovel, probe and beacon ( and knowing how to use them properly) is still no guarantee of survival.

· Registered
583 Posts
Zip is fine, super convenient a onsie is I am finding. Good sizing also, I'm 83kgs 180cm
Myoko v Shiga hmm
  • Shiga obviously massive with many, many very long tree runs although I thin k it would be a good idea to have a guide for a day and save a lot of time. Myoko has short tree runs but go very quickly to a lift to repeat
  • Myoko great night life, needed to book to go eat in 2020 for first time, Shiga ZERO nightlife when I am anyway at Giant. You eat here and he turns the lights out at 8,30 to you go to your room WTF!
  • Myoko much more busier than here, and its not that busy.
  • Seems to be powder everywhere here and despite what you hear, ducking under ropes doesn't seem an issue. Myoko was becoming quite strict about it
  • Basically i would rate this much, much higher the Myoko given the variety of terrain and tree runs, but forget any nightlife...thats the trade off. Myoko is warmer , more like -3 to -7. here more like average -9 from what I can tell but only been here 5 days boarding
  • cant even buy cheese or any kind of light coke for example, forget trying to buy bottle of rum or something

Happy tp be educated by someone staying more in the middle of Shiga, i'm on one end basically
A quick search suggests not. no konbini, no supa, a few gift shops and thats about it, by the looks of it.

I think the nearest would be a supermarket, Lawson station and other konbinis near Yudanaka train station - down off the mountain.

· Registered
583 Posts
If it’s higher power 簡易 (kan-i) 1-5w I would just rent if I were you. Under 1w yea you can just buy.
Technically it’s illegal to use foreign walkie talkies or unregistered local walkie talkies, with severe penalties. It takes 10-14 days for paper work to process , and you’ll need to be able to read and write in Japanese…
There are shops around who rents them or maybe ask the local tour group if you could borrow/rent them. Some of the lodges also do back country tour, maybe you’re residing in one

I’ve bought a couple of Japanese ones this trip, so I can tell you the hassle is annoying. I come here every year, so I don’t mind buying and registering.
Plenty local guys just use cheap short range walkie talkies , don’t need registration for those. big major electronics retailer may stock those eg yodobasbi camera, big camera etc

Did you mean Bic Camera?

· Registered
583 Posts
Thanks guys for the support, this has been a very traumatic experience. I don't recommend breaking a leg in Japan, they don't believe in using pain relief.

I went straight to the emergency department as soon as I got off the plane in Sydney this morning, I'm getting surgery tomorrow and will have plates and screws permanently in the head of my tibia.
May everything go really well for the surgery tomorrow mate. (y)(y)

· Registered
583 Posts
Jesus H...
Yup. No-one wants to prepare for the worst, but Canada trips are starting to look like a viable alternative option. At least Australia and Canada have some sort of reciprocal rights when it comes to medical treatment, AFAIK. travel insurance still good for avoiding upfront hospital fee slug though...
I'm probably just talking shite at this point, but the pain relief thing post crash does give me pause for thought.

· Registered
583 Posts
Pretty risky bringing endone to a strict Asian country. If you didn’t have a permit then you’ve been lucky but if they happen to do a spot check…

Does your prescription involve narcotics?
If your prescription medication involves the use of narcotics (eg morphine, codeine, oxycodone, pethidine, hydrocodone), you must seek advance permission from one of Japan’s eight Regional Bureaus of Health and Welfare.

You will need to submit an import application form as well as supporting documentation at least 14 days before traveling to Japan.

Many common medications and over-the-counter drugs in the United States are illegal in Japan. It does not matter if you have a valid U.S. prescription for a medicine/drug which is illegal in Japan: if you bring it with you, you risk arrest and detention by the Japanese authorities

You’ll also need a doctor’s letter to support you bringing them in. Not sure bringing endone “just in case I might need it” will make the cut… sorry to be the party pooper…
100%, which is why it's important to submit all the relevant paperwork, and talk to your GP about a doctor's letter to show Japanese customs and Police.
Customs will probe you on arrival, but it's way better than being forcibly probed or worse by the japanese cops if you don't have the right paperwork/permits.

· Registered
583 Posts
I've only had endone twice since I've been here in the hospital. Once before they were going to lift me into the CT scan when I first arrived and once straight after my first surgery.

Other than that I'm on a constant Panadol and Nurofen rotation as I don't think the pain is bad enough to require endone and I am well aware that you can become very dependent on opioid based medications.
If Panadol & Nurofen smooth things out enough, then go with that, for sure.

People can develop a tolerance to opioids, but it "shouldn't" be a problem for a short period.
Doctors wring their hands a bit about opioids but they are useful for pain relief if used in a targeted manner, for 8-11 out of 10 perceived pain levels , like a twisted bowel, fractures etc
I have seen people in hospital turn blue from excessive opioid dosing, but it's usually if they are on a morphine drip, or automated delivery system that gives a certain dose every 2 hours and the like.

Panadol does 2/5ths of FA for me, and Nurofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds are contra-indicated (for me). Going through the BS in hospital where I'm offered Panadol first is tedious and a waste of time.

Whenever I go to the dentist for a filling or a crown, they have to inject enough local anaesthetic in my gums to knock a Rhino on its arse.

I don't have an opioid habit or anything, it just takes more pain relief meds to take the edge off for me.
If I don't need them, I don't take them. That's the bit that doctors don't always comprehend, IMO.

· Registered
583 Posts
This one was a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't say where, back-country maybe?, but a good reminder to be careful. some dude skied into a creek?? or something and got buried. he would have been in trouble it his mates hadn't pulled him out. Both had shovels in their packs.

On a low mountain with an altitude of about 500 meters, where I have skied many times, my friend fell into a crack while skiing, and immediately after that, a slough flowed from above and buried my whole body. Desperately digging out and rescuing a friend. He descended the mountain on his own without injury. I don't know if my actions were due to my actions, but I am now filled with relief that my friend's life was saved. You never know what will happen in the snowy mountains. As an example, I was able to record it with a video, so I would like to post it as a reference for people who ski on snowy mountains.

· Registered
583 Posts
Hey guys, I've been in hospital all this time, over 2 weeks in a bed I can't recommend it.
Finally I have some good news, yesterday I had my second and final surgery done on my leg.
I had to stop eating at midnight the previous day. At first I was told that the surgery would be at about 10am, then they changed it to 12pm. At 1:30pm the operating room called for me but it wasn't until 3:30pm that they actually came up and got me. You could imagine by then I was getting very hangry! (hungry/angry).
After being prepared by the anesthetist the surgeon came in for a chat, he told me my tibia plateau fracture is a Cat 6 which is unfortunately as bad as it gets on the rating scale. I am very lucky to have such an experienced surgeon, initially I was very concerned that I would get the work experience kid.
After reassuring me that one day I would be able to go full send again on my bike or snowboard etc. they wheeled me in for the surgery at about 4pm.
I woke up in the recovery ward and was told that the surgery took about 4 hours. Pain relief has been excellent and I am told that the first 2 - 3 days after surgery will be the worst.
I have two plates and many screws holding my tibia together, one large plate on the inside of my leg and another smaller one at the rear. These will stay in forever and allow the bones to grow back together during the 6 weeks non-weight bearing period of my recovery.
My mental health has certainly improved since the operation yesterday, I feel like I can finally start moving forward on the long road to a full recovery. Once I demonstrate adequate mobility on crutches to the physical therapist here I will be allowed to go home.
View attachment 167189
View attachment 167188
View attachment 167187
You could get that laminated get the surgeons minions to do a cover letter and laminate a copy of that too.
customs and border force are going to get super excited every time you go through a detector arch at an airport.
Might have to change your user name to Bluescope or BHP :p

At least the surgery is done, now you can focus on achieveable recovery and rehab milestones. (y)(y)

1 - 20 of 374 Posts