Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
141 - 160 of 238 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
Going tomorrow, tell me you are not going from Gold coast? Train terminal 2 to UNO then Shinkansen to Nagano, stay the night, I'm then heading to Shiga by bus, you would take train to Myoko get picked up. Or stay night in Tokyo and do both train trips next day. btw. speaking to someone in Myoko yesterday, they reckon its really quiet, and they would know

· Registered
177 Posts
I book all my trips through Mountain Watch and the last few have always been bus connections but yr right, I should've look at the Shinkansen, the mate I'm meeting at Myoko is going a day early and going by train.

You never know, I might just end up on it anyway. I was pretty comfortable on the JR network but haven't done much at all with the high speed.

Is the Shinkansen easy to arrange on the day if I need to?

I was looking at getting to Ueno and jumping on from there either via mono rail and/or JR but I'd need to ticket on the day if the bus doesn't go.
I don’t bother with pre booking. Holiday mood you might not wake up in time. Worse if you’re with a friend who suggest just “one glass” of beer the night before.

Easy to buy on the day if you’re not pressed for time. If the next one is full get the other one.

· Registered
177 Posts
It’s hard to find a local mountain here that gives an honest report. I see a lot of history video and photos promoting the slopes. I even tried searching in Japanese. Maybe I overlooked it, probably not

Probably 360niseko and https://instagram.com/madarao.ski?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= these guys give a daily honest update.
If there’s no fresh snow, that insta will say no fresh snow. what’s in madarao will probably be the same for the rest of nearby mountains I guess

· Registered
177 Posts
@Myoko
There are a few shiga slopes, doesn’t seem as bad as what you were saying 40cm for shiga slopes but no fresh snow recently. Not sure how reliable is this

The English version is pretty brief in comparison. Just copy paste google translate

Seems like they’re expecting a big dump on Tuesday and Wednesday

· Registered
550 Posts
Bloody hell, it's a bit of a drama getting through so many hoops now at Narita. Landed 6.30pm, got to Trains at Terminal 2 at 7.45....worth printing (or taking a screen shot) of the blue, yellow. things with the bar code and take a screen shot of the bit with your name where is says registration complete. Took Skyline to Uno and were lucky to get the 9.10pm to Nagano. Some lads had a bus booked to Hakuba from the airport which was cancelled due to heavy snow, not sure what they are going to do. Might be the same for me getting to Shiga tomorrow by bus, least Japan has finally got some snow!

· Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Yeah I'm waiting for my connection from Singapore and just saw my Nagano Snow Shuttle isn't leaving until 7pm tomorrow, was supposed to be 7am. I'm thinking about jumping on the Shinkansen to Nagano, does anyone know if that'll be running? I just don't want to get caught chasing my tail tomorrow.

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Circle

· Registered
177 Posts
Hard to say. Even strong wind can cause delays to bus and trains, like tonight in the city. It’s really windy! you’ll just have to play it by ear. The JR ticket staffs will be able to advise you, or maybe the English speaking staffs at information centre in the airport can do a quick check for you. Those guys are always keen to finally use their English skills lol

· Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I'm waiting for my connection from Singapore and just saw my Nagano Snow Shuttle isn't leaving until 7pm tomorrow, was supposed to be 7am. I'm thinking about jumping on the Shinkansen to Nagano, does anyone know if that'll be running? I just don't want to get caught chasing my tail tomorrow.

Mate Ive literally just arrived in Nagano 10min ago via Shinkansen, so yes, atm anyway

· Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Shit… Bus or taxi then. it’s a bit odd for accommodation not being able to help out. It’s a bit out of character… wouldn’t book there again unless they have a good reason
Just got hold of them, they're going to head down for a pickup 🙏

141 - 160 of 238 Posts