Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
161 - 180 of 238 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
At Shiga now, its looks very windy (some lifts closed) and is super foggy and there is a LOT of powder and heaps coming down. Have the Sushi ready to go as hardly anyone bothered to go out today and it just looks very quiet. Hardly anyone staying where I am at Aspen Shiga and its a big place. Tomorrow should be a good day everywhere in the area I think. Shame I have absolutely no idea where to go :)

Reactions: Craig64

· Registered
105 Posts
They don’t have signs like this in Japan?
Tomorrow you’ll know better. Hope it doesn’t hurt too much.
Could have been worse, I’d imagine.
Are tree wells a thing in Hokkaido like they are in the PNW?
Snow Font Freezing Geological phenomenon Slope

· Registered
550 Posts
Took a tree to the left 🫏 cheek and my god that hurt. Day 1 and I grimace in pain everytime I sit on my butt! 🤣
Did you find any tree good runs? Some runs you don't do if it's too deep but I don't think I drew them on that map and everything is better with 3m+ base. Shiga was great, not many people here and its bloody huge. If I could only get some cheese and biscuits to go with my rum and coke I would be happy

· Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Yep, we did a few of them. We hit Hotel #5 right up top first up and did a few tree runs which were awesome first thing, mainly to the East though. There were a few areas that were roped off and signs regarding avalanches so not all of the areas we could access.

There was a really good run further down closer to hotel 4 run we spent some time at until afternoon where we went across to Onsen had a feed and then after lunch sussed out a few good runs way out to the west that were pretty much untracked. There was only about 6 of us riding those trees for a couple of hours and we pulled stumps around 3pm.

I've just switch the bindings onto the Dada and had an Onsen, I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of sharing a hot tub with 4 other naked old men!!! Anyway, we're just debating whether we hit sugi tomorrow although the best day will be Saturday I think after Friday's next dump, only worried about crowds being a Saturday. Think I'd rather a few people with good conditions over less people in ordinary conditions.

Now to suss a beer 🍻

· Registered
550 Posts
Now to suss a beer 🍻
[/QUOTE]
Mate go to Loti Arai after a dump if you can handle deep powder, only 1 groomed run and being in the air without seeing anything (powder is so light going straight is a face shot at times) and just being confident to land and go with it. On a powder day you will see plenty of good skiers and boarders digging themselves out because they couldn't do the above. Go there instead of Sugi for a powder day I suggest but get on the bus early. If its too deep they close the top half though so be warned, you need to be there. Could also go to Seki Onsen but I wouldn't.

· Registered
550 Posts
This was shot of Shiga Kogan today, such a massive mountain. Hardly anyone here and lots of powder but i think the trees needs a bit more base personally. If anyone knows how to get back from Yokoteyama area to Giant area without taking a shuttle somehow please let me know. We did the entire other side today, hope I can walk tomorrow!

Attachments

· Registered
177 Posts
Nothing much tonight but….

Weather warning for this weekend. They predict from Saturday there will be a strong cold wind coming from the Japan Sea side but not as severe as it was this week. Probably around 5cm of snow per hour. :)

· Registered
177 Posts
Yeah sugi is good too

Man, Japanese either know special ninjutsu or they weigh next to nothing! followed locals going narrow off piste track. They’re walking calmly like Jesus on water , and I sink to my knees on each step and even to my hip level! same foot track, wth, and I’m only 80kg lol

161 - 180 of 238 Posts