Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Japan Stoke Thread 2023

26K views 402 replies 31 participants last post by  Myoko 
#1 ·
If you didn't know, all restrictions to enter Japan have now been lifted.

Who is going?
Where are you going?
Have you been before and where?
What board/bindings are you taking?

I can't believe I'm actually going, if you asked me 4 weeks ago we were holding off until 2024 but now myself and 3 other mates have already booked our flights and accommodation for the first week of Feb 2023.

This will be my 7th time to Japan, I've been to around 30 different ski resorts already in areas such as Hakuba, Myoko, Fukushima (Bandai), Yamagata (Zao Onsen) and several resorts up on Hokkaido.

This trip I have 2 first timers coming with me and the only way I could convince them was to keep the trip reasonably short and inexpensive. So we have 7 days on snow in Hakuba Valley and we will be getting 5 consecutive days of lift tickets for free with our Epic pass. We are staying right next to the gondola at the base of Tsugaike Kogan ski resort.

I am taking my Salomon Dancehaul 152 with Now Drive bindings and my Korua Dart 156 with Ride A-10 bindings. Both boards should be good in powder with the Dancehaul having a softer more freestyle focus and the Dart will be great for carving.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll be doing everything I can to go, was hoping to do a Niseko trip but might be a little pricy if we don't get the Singapore trips out of Darwin back online. Looking like I'll need to go through Cairns which the RTN trip from Darwin is more expensive than the RTN trip to Japan.

Probably somewhere around Nagano, Myoko, Hakuna or Nozawa.

Only been twice and only to Hakuba, much easier with two of the family that don't ski/board to cruise around and always stayed around Echoland. @JDA what's Myoko or Nazawa Onsen like compared to Hakuba? Is worth venturing up that way?

In terms of boards. I really want to get on my Party Platter as I'm still yet to ride it but just loved the Dada so really want to take that but feel the better combo is the Surfari and one of Dada/PP. PP with Ride LTD bindings and Surfari kith K2 Lien AT's if I can part with the Dada.

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Sports equipment Automotive tire Hood Bumper Saw chain

#3 ·
@JDA what's Myoko or Nazawa Onsen like compared to Hakuba? Is worth venturing up that way?
I haven't been to Nozawa but did Myoko in 2018 and again in 2020.

2020 was a bad year for snow, we did score a couple of epic powder days still but compared to 2018 where 2.6m of snow fell over the 9 days we were in Myoko I will remember that trip forever! This was the tourist information sign as you enter town to give you an idea.

Myoko the town is a lot smaller than Hakuba but it gets more snow and more consistently too. You can access 2 resorts just by walking from the town center. Buses will take you to another 2 resorts close by or a longer bus will also take you to another 3 resorts further out. Then if you had a car there are another 2 you could also visit but there are no buses for these, so plenty of options for resorts to visit each day.

If we weren't trying to do 2023 on the cheap I probably would have gone back to Myoko but we have free lift tickets in Hakuba and we are planning a bigger trip for 2024 where I hope to visit some new parts of Japan I haven't been to yet.

So yes Myoko is well worth a visit!

#4 ·
I've been to Rusutsu, Niseko and Furano. I like Furano as it's close to a reasonable sized township so you can walk down and get groceries. Has a 101 person ropeway. You can do day trips to Kamui and Tomamu as well. Rusutsu is really good but it's a little by itself. You can get bus trip from Niseko. Had some awesome powder days at Rusutsu. Great runs as well.

#7 ·
Never been, want to SOOOO BAD. Trip planning for 2024 too. We have Epic so probably start with at least a few days there and branch out from there. I haven't traveled out of the country often and worry about travel abroad. Thought about getting a tour company but want to keep it on the cheap....i know contradicting, but hey one can hope.

#15 ·
My mate just picked up a K2 Special Effects 148 for the trip, seems like it was designed specifically for Japan so it should be good on those deep powder days. Other mate has a Korua Dart 160 like me but I have the 156, I'd like to try his 160 but he has much bigger feet.

Non powder day boards they have are Salomon Assassin and Endeavor Scout, both good options I think.

4th guy is on skiis, he is very good though.

#17 ·
Any list of areas to hit? I have both the Epic/Ikon/Loveland pass (Powder Alliance partner, Kiroro). I'd be open to anything off this list if it's worth it. Generally looking for areas with enjoyable riding + others (onsen, beer, monkeys that steel your wallet while at the onsen, etc...). Sushi. And more sushi. Followed by a trip to Kyoto + Tokyo even.

Maybe. I tend to change my mind a lot. Just want a guaranteed nice time for what I pay for; I'm not strapped for cash but not willing to unload on single trip when there's Europe and cheese/wine/beer!

It seems by reading here, the best times to go are either:
1. mid-feb+
2. mid-jan+ (or even early Jan+)?

#25 ·
If you are chasing powder specifically then mid Jan to mid Feb is peak storm season. The most popular destinations are Niseko and Hakuba. I would personally avoid Niseko as it sounds like you want a more authentic Japanese experience, Hakuba is a good option with some westernised areas but still some taste of Japan especially if you venture away from the bigger resorts in the valley.

Being from Australia I don't know much about which specific resorts those passes give you access too but if you drop a link or some names of resorts I can give some feedback.

#18 ·
I'll be doing my first Japan ski trip, arriving in Hakuba 27th February. It's late in the season but it's the only dates we could get consensus on in our group that worked.
We booked our flights and accommodation before everything opened up, so we were able to score a lot of good deals

There's 3 others coming with me and we're all trying to get extra value out of our Epic passes. Overall it's been a cheap holiday to book so far as we also used our Qantas points to book our flights.
I've spent more for weekend accomodation in Jindabyne than what this trip outlay is costing.

No idea what I'm doing for boards yet, will see what specials I see around in Aus - but probably take an old faithful just so I don't have anything to complain about!

#20 ·
Yes 2018 and 2020 as my post above about Myoko. I consider it part of Myoko and we went there many times when staying in Myoko but I did also spend a couple of nights in Madarao itself on my 2020 trip.

Great place, gets lots of snow and has some really good trees where the spacing is wider than normal for Japan.

#22 ·
hey gentlefolk, i must apologize for not having contributed to this thread this season- i've got some fucked-in-the-head issues that im still working through, but i am mindful of the local Aussie crew.

Season was ok - got a good run on all of my boards and bindings, so was able to formulate opinions - honestly, the reason I didnt post them was because the more important thing was just staying alive on the roads (fcking kook tourist drivers - bro, it's sick that you got a 600hp SUV but dont drive it around blind corners into trucks that are coming downhill maybe??)

either way folks, i appreciate you, and you have my apologies

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry folks ,news flash just in **
report on NKH, not good afraid to say ...........
foorigan boarders from west set on invade snow areas this season, waring to all to beware devils from west, tourist only allowed on groom family trails 1 at a time, special gates to be installed atop family gondola for foreigners. lines expected to be " hours long" , expect ice moguls as big as 1970 VW beetles on most courses... it seems the locals have spoken to thier local councils and do not want the pristine dumps that ANOTHER la nina will bring this season.........to be ruined by powmunchers from the west slashing too hard and aggressively causing ugly lines and scar marks in the pack.

so suggest only bring smallest gelende groomer carver, no pow sticks, you wont be allowed!

i hear.........................

eurpoe will be aces!

#28 ·
Sorry folks ,news flash just in **
report on NKH, not good afraid to say ...........
foorigan boarders from west set on invade snow areas this season, waring to all to beware devils from west, tourist only allowed on groom family trails 1 at a time, special gates to be installed atop family gondola for foreigners. lines expected to be " hours long" , expect ice moguls as big as 1970 VW beetles on most courses... it seems the locals have spoken to thier local councils and do not want the pristine dumps that ANOTHER la nina will bring this season.........to be ruined by powmunchers from the west slashing too hard and aggressively causing ugly lines and scar marks in the pack.

so suggest only bring smallest gelende groomer carver, no pow sticks, you wont be allowed!

i hear.........................

eurpoe will be aces!
Yeah sure no worries, sounds like a choice tourism move after several Covid affected years - see you in the stashes

#34 · (Edited)
Japan, yes been 2 years and I am very keen. Have spent maybe a year actually boarding ion mountains n Japan and at least 40 mountains over the last decade or so, on both islands. Myoko was amazing when the restaurants had nothing in English but it is getting very busy, you need to book a restaurant. Madarao/Tangram are great mountains with limited accomodation. Has something for everyone. Buses have been going there from Myoko for a number of years now so also can get busy. My definition of busy is when all my powder tracks have a single track on them. Suginohara is a big mountain a short bus from Myoko. Myoko is powder in the trees rather than groomers imo. This time I am looking to get away from the crowds (bugger all really but I have been a bit spoilt) but haven't planned anything yet as I'm travelling around Europe atm. Is Kimija still around can I ask?

Reactions: JDA
#39 ·
Stop pls

upon reflection - i can tap out.

but... bah - i am throbbing on a couple of local japanese decks this seasoon - and this "float to the tourists" design - dont need that in my life, it's not a requ9irement nor any sort of pressure.

i have had a renewed relationship wiht japanese snowboarding - so, giving it another go.

my list is below.

------2023 JAPANESE BOARDS TO CHECK OUT------
--- November Artiste 158W (freestyle, 5x sidecut radii)
--- Yonex Thrust 161 (carving)
--- Fanatic T-Deck 157 (ground tricks)
--- Head Draw Lyt 162 (pow, carving)

#36 ·
Here they are!! Remember I still want one. These look very innovative and exciting, no doubt tried and tested. Where do i see your range so I can understand these sick specimens ?

#37 ·
Japan is my "local" so I have had no riding since January 2020. 19-20 was an awful season for Japan and it was painful to watch 2 la nina's roll through in 2021 and 2022. Luckily, the pow gods are making amends and a 3rd la nina is gonna roll through this winter. The stoke is high !

I'll be in Niseko from 14 to 31 January and plan to take a 4-5 day trip based in Asahikawa to do some riding there at local mountains. I can't wait.

#38 ·
Japan is my "local" so I have had no riding since January 2020. 19-20 was an awful season for Japan and it was painful to watch 2 la nina's roll through afterwards in 2021 and 2022 and be shut out. Luckily, the pow gods are making amends and a 3rd la nina is gonna roll through this winter. The stoke is high !

I'll be based in Niseko from 14 to 31 January to hit Niseko, Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kororo. I also plan to take a 4-5 day trip based in Asahikawa to do some riding there at local mountains. I can't wait.
oops... thought I was editing

#46 ·
I'm looking now to book solo, too pricey atm from Darwin and the kids are likely to be going mid-year with school so really can't justify all of us going. Thinking maybe of going with a progression tour with Moyoko Mint Tours. Small tour, only 6, having been riding with my daughter only these last few years whilst she progresses I could really benefit from some off-piste guidance on technique, also saves me a bitof time sussing out where to go and how to get there so I can just concentrate on riding solid runs for 5 days.

If anyone knows of anything similar let me know.

#47 ·
Sounds good and the reviews look good too. It's a bit more expensive than what I paid with Powder Recon since its in USD and the exchange rate sucks right now but PR don't really offer any coaching, just guiding with their tour so fair enough I guess.