Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name's Damian. I'm a newfound snowboarding enthusiast and I am trying to figure out job ideas that would provide me with a ski pass for the Summit County, CO area. I spent a week at Copper mountain this spring and I fell in love with that place. I want to move to the Summit County area this fall and I am looking for any ideas or insight into jobs that would be good for a person that just wants to ride as much as possible! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Welcome to the rat race that is Summit County and every kid that wants to move here. I'll give you the best advice it's all about choices and making the right ones otherwise your season can drastically suck.

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
We should almost have a FAQ for this, it comes up so often. Here's the usual:

Jobs IN the snowboarding industry suck. You get to watch other people snowboard and you get paid dick. The best job is a skilled NON-SNOWBOARDING-RELATED job NEAR the mountain with good pay and flexible hours. You ride the during prime time and get your 40 hours in the rest of the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Seriously though, if all you care about is snowboarding as much as possible, you might want to bust your ass in the offseason and save up as much money as you can, then move there for the winter and live on a really tight budget. I've saved up so I can live there for a 4-5 month season this winter and I don't need to stress about finding a job that will take away from boarding. If a job comes up with flexible hours at night and/or weekends then that be a cherry on top. From what I've read on the forums the best jobs (i.e. higher pay and/or night/weekend hours) go to locals so if you plan on staying there a few years you'll have better luck but if it's just for the season you're not in that great of a position.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
wildland firefighter is a pretty sweet one if you're up to it physically. i don't know if you'd be able to get on this summer cuz i think there's classes/cert to get first but my roommate in Oregon did it/does it still and he just busts ass all summer, no life - just work. then in the winter he has like 15k+ saved up plus collects unemployment i think. snowboards/drinks all winter then works all summer again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We should almost have a FAQ for this, it comes up so often. Here's the usual:

Jobs IN the snowboarding industry suck. You get to watch other people snowboard and you get paid dick. The best job is a skilled NON-SNOWBOARDING-RELATED job NEAR the mountain with good pay and flexible hours. You ride the during prime time and get your 40 hours in the rest of the time.
What do you think about like a serving job in one of the restaurants in the resort? Do they get ski passes? I have a couple years of serving experience. Do you think it is even remotely likely that I could score one of those positions?

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
UGH DUDE! Don't be the fucking retard idiot that moves here and works for the resort.

I can't stress this enough DO NOT WORK FOR THE MOUNTAIN! They are slave drivers and you do not ride.

How old are you?

Do you have a place to live?

What is your moving here budget?

Length of stay in the county? Are you a one and done seasonal or are you here for the long haul?

What do you have experience with?

When are you getting here?

I've lived here for almost a decade and nothing changes with people wanting to move here you just get more and more clueless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm 23. Don't have a place to live yet. I'll have around 5K when the time comes for the move (October). I definitely want to stay for at least a few years. I've got serving experience and National Park Service/ Youth work program experience (lots of it). So you think it would be a better idea to just buy the season pass and find a job close-by? Thanks for the help, this is helping alot.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
I am an asshole. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Can't help the helpless. You obviously don't want help you want people to hold your hand through the whole process.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Also, take it easy with the attitude man. YOU'RE coming across as an asshole.
He's an asshole with lots of time on here though, so that gives HIM seniority and the ability to called you an asshole and get away with it... :giggle:

You have to remember, you came here asking for people advice, he gave it, maybe not how you like it, but he gave it... ;)

$5,000 will not get you far and to be fair, i would not consider moving with only that amount with the aim of doing a season...!!!

I don't know the country, the area, the resort, but i would guess that the best bet for work and getting to board would be bar work or serving OUTSIDE the resort, the minute you work for a resort you become a slave to the opening hours...! So unless they are open 12 hours a day and your working day is 8 hours a day, you will not get much if anytime on the snow...

Take peoples advice and think about what they say, they are not being dicks, they have seen it all before when it comes to newbies and people wanting advice for this, and in all fairness you could easily do a search on the forum yourself to find out what other advice had already been given...

So i guess after hundreds of posts and a lazy attitude, you come across as being what exactly...??? :giggle:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am an asshole. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Can't help the helpless. You obviously don't want help you want people to hold your hand through the whole process.
Just trying to figure out my options. I asked for advice not you're skewed perception of my intentions. I appreciate everybody else's respectful input.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Just trying to figure out my options. I asked for advice not you're skewed perception of my intentions. I appreciate everybody else's respectful input.
And this is why you went back and edited your response so you didn't look like a dumbass?

You're a lost cause to try and help up here. If you hadn't been a helpless douche I could have pointed you in the direction of getting the most out of your time here, instead I'll watch you be yet another statistic of douche bag kids that don't survive up here.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Also, take it easy with the attitude man. YOU'RE coming across as an asshole.
Lol, an asshole that has made a living up here and has the ability to ride every day.

I'm on my 3rd year up here and have seen thousands of dips shits come and go. There are very few that make it and doit with success without just surviving. BA and I both live mountain side. Two totally different kinds of people. Two totally different professional lives, both with the ability to live here and ride every day if we want.

Maybe, if you want info, you should not act like a helpless sucker that needs his mommy to hold his hand through the lifestyle change of moving to the mountains...

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Hey Argo and BurtonAvenger, i really want to do a season here with you guys, i can pay $20 a week for board and lodgings and just bum around on the slopes all day everyday...

How do you feel about that...??? Any chances you would put up with me... ;) :giggle:

Only joking, i would pay $30 a week... ;):bowdown:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts