Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Was wondering the same thing. Thinking of picking up a 164.

Been riding a K2 Zeppelin 163W for years and looking for something that will ride similar. I was wondering if the beveled edges would give the board too loose of a feeling, like it is always about to wash out. I want something with great edge hold on icy groomers and stable as hell when flat basing.

Jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rode mine for this first time this past weekend. Rode on hard pack, icy groomers. This board loved it. Never felt like it was gonna wash out and held great. Very stable at high speeds too. My ski tracks said I reached 62 and it was fine at that. I would highly recommend one. Can't wait to break it out again!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you guys are still wondering, I have a 2014 156 I can give some first hand impressions on. As far as I know, not much has changed aside from lighter core and carbon stringer placement etc. For reference, I'm 6', 165lbs, and ride well over 100 days a season.

Flex: This board is stiff from tip to tail and torsionally. It wants to be pointed down the mountain and ripped on. It pretty much feels like a full camber board, but with a liiiittle bit of rise in the tip and the bevel on the edges there. It has great pop if you know how to load up a stiff camber board. Boosting off rollers and side hits really fast is fun. It's very unforgiving if you aren't on your game/getting tired or in lots of uneven terrain.

For pow: It's set back I believe 20mm so pow is definitely an option. I've ridden it in 3", 6", and 10" of new snow. I had to set it back all the way to get good float in the trees because it's too stiff, at least for me, to manipulate and pull the nose up. In open pow areas it floats pretty well as long as you had decent speed. Like I said, it likes to be pointed and ripped hard. End of day choppy resort pow is usually a nightmare. I get bucked around like crazy in bumpy choppy shit. I can't muscle through too many boards over a med/stiff flex. 10" of pow was fun for the first half of the day because it was all fresh and steep enough trees. Fun to pop off rocks/cliffs and land in deep stuff.

Packed out trees: Does well here as long as the snow is still soft without tons of tight hard banks, that's when it bucks you. Crusty packed trees not so much.

For groomers: As long as you're sharpened, it carves pretty well thanks to the camber. In too deep a trench though it tends to wash out where the edges are beveled by the nose.

Park: I'd only take it to the large jumps with a more centered stance. Too stiff for small slower features.

Butters: Not so much.. High speed nose butters are about all I'm able to do on it and I'll only do them in softer snow. The nose is softer than the tail.

I'd recommend a stiffer binding and boot to power this sucker. NOW Select's weren't stiff enough, my stiffer Union Factory does a pretty decent job. I don't ride it too often as I have other boards that are similar, but a lot more forgiving and fun. For me personally, it's just a little bit too much board for anything other than bombing smoother stuff. I'm selling mine for pretty cheap over in the for sale section if anyone's interested.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I agree with a lot of the comments on the Aviator. I'm 180 lbs and initially purchased a 158 cm 2017-18 Aviator. It's the best all-round board I've ever ridden for my style of riding. For me it has been versatile enough to ride everywhere, including (shallow) powder. I loved the 158 cm so much that I went on to purchase a 160 cm as well for just a bit more hold at higher speeds. Both are combined with Now Pilot bindings. The 160 is my 'strictly groomer bomber' board. It's noticeably slower edge-to-edge and stiffer, with better overall edge hold in higher speed carves. The 158 is my 'do everything, go everywhere' board.

I enjoy boards too much to only have a single board, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Aviator 158 cm. It's quick edge-to-edge, nimble when you want and stable when you don't, outstanding on edge (but the 160 cm is even better), surprisingly competent in powder (6-10"), pops well when loaded up correctly, rides great switch, and the flex is perfect for my riding style and weight.

The boards that I have owned and would say it compares with are:

-Prior AMF (full camber) -- closest to the Aviator. The AMF is stiffer (longitudinally and torsionally), slightly less damp, and has slightly less edge hold on ice and at higher speeds

-Burton Custom/Custom X (full camber) -- Some might argue that these are the benchmark for the category (aggressive all-mountain); The Aviator is better, for me, in every way than the Custom (X); I'm itching to try the 2018 Custom X, though, as its specs look like they've moved to be more similar to the Aviator.

-Lib-Tech Hot Knife -- More playful than all of the above under my feet (softer torsionally and longitudinally); edge hold not as good as Aviator, but similar to Custom (X)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with a lot of the comments on the Aviator. I'm 180 lbs and initially purchased a 158 cm 2017-18 Aviator. It's the best all-round board I've ever ridden for my style of riding. For me it has been versatile enough to ride everywhere, including (shallow) powder. I loved the 158 cm so much that I went on to purchase a 160 cm as well for just a bit more hold at higher speeds. Both are combined with Now Pilot bindings. The 160 is my 'strictly groomer bomber' board. It's noticeably slower edge-to-edge and stiffer, with better overall edge hold in higher speed carves. The 158 is my 'do everything, go everywhere' board.

I enjoy boards too much to only have a single board, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Aviator 158 cm. It's quick edge-to-edge, nimble when you want and stable when you don't, outstanding on edge (but the 160 cm is even better), surprisingly competent in powder (6-10"), pops well when loaded up correctly, rides great switch, and the flex is perfect for my riding style and weight.

The boards that I have owned and would say it compares with are:

-Prior AMF (full camber) -- closest to the Aviator. The AMF is stiffer (longitudinally and torsionally), slightly less damp, and has slightly less edge hold on ice and at higher speeds

-Burton Custom/Custom X (full camber) -- Some might argue that these are the benchmark for the category (aggressive all-mountain); The Aviator is better, for me, in every way than the Custom (X); I'm itching to try the 2018 Custom X, though, as its specs look like they've moved to be more similar to the Aviator.

-Lib-Tech Hot Knife -- More playful than all of the above under my feet (softer torsionally and longitudinally); edge hold not as good as Aviator, but similar to Custom (X)

I'm looking to pick up a 2018 Aviator but haven't been able to demo one. Specs wise it ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm concerned its utility outside of carving groomers is very limited. However, I hand flexed a 158w in a shop and it didn't seem mega-stiff at all, pretty much the same as a Mountain Twin. The profile didn't look crazy aggressive either, like the camber started to deflect not so far outside the inserts. Jones website says they changed the flex profile but who knows what that really means?

I need a one board quiver for all-mountain charging, sidecountry powder and jumps off sidehits and rollers. At 165lbs I'd probably go for a 156 or 158. Been riding over 20 years but that said I don't need a board that will punish me. Is it a really aggressive full camber ride? Can I make it do what I want without having tree-trunk legs?

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a 2018 Aviator but haven't been able to demo one. Specs wise it ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm concerned its utility outside of carving groomers is very limited. However, I hand flexed a 158w in a shop and it didn't seem mega-stiff at all, pretty much the same as a Mountain Twin. The profile didn't look crazy aggressive either, like the camber started to deflect not so far outside the inserts. Jones website says they changed the flex profile but who knows what that really means?

I need a one board quiver for all-mountain charging, sidecountry powder and jumps off sidehits and rollers. At 165lbs I'd probably go for a 156 or 158. Been riding over 20 years but that said I don't need a board that will punish me. Is it a really aggressive full camber ride? Can I make it do what I want without having tree-trunk legs?
Between those two boards, for the type of use that you're describing, the Mountain twin sounds like a better fit. Of the two, it's the "one board quiver."

The Aviator is surprisingly not terrible in a little bit of powder but the Mountain Twin is more competent without sacrificing a ton on groomers. It's better in chop and more playful, but given enough time you can adapt to riding pretty much any board in the conditions that you want. On snow the Aviator is noticeably more aggressive.

Bottom line, one board quiver = Mountain Twin.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Between those two boards, for the type of use that you're describing, the Mountain twin sounds like a better fit. Of the two, it's the "one board quiver."

The Aviator is surprisingly not terrible in a little bit of powder but the Mountain Twin is more competent without sacrificing a ton on groomers. It's better in chop and more playful, but given enough time you can adapt to riding pretty much any board in the conditions that you want. On snow the Aviator is noticeably more aggressive.

Bottom line, one board quiver = Mountain Twin.
Yup, what he said.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I actually tried the Mountain Twin and it was really versatile and fun but maybe a little too forgiving, if thats possible. I felt like my riding would get sloppy because you can be a bit careless with so much rocker in the tips. I think I miss a more cambered feeling off the tail on ollies and out of turns. As you say, you can adapt to any board so I guess its just a matter of buying one and getting used to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts