Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Please - Has anybody experienced problems with the base of their Jones board?

I bought the Flagshp 18/19 and loved it. It had 16 days ridning when the base marteials that make up the different colours of the base graphic started to seperate right below the heel of the front binding. No gauges or damage from riding at all. The two different colours/materials on the base just started to separate.
The shop I bought it from (Glisshop in France) sent it back to Jones who were really cool and gave me a full refund (there were none left in stock at Jones or Glisshop).

I managed to find one of the 19/20 models in a different store, so bought that and agian loved it. It had 1 day rinding before France was shut down due to CV19, and already I can see its starting to happen in exactly the same place. I rode a Rome Anthem for 10 years before this and never had a problem.

It seems to me that as the board is loaded through the turn, the base is just coming apart where the two materials join but I'm suprised because these things are meant to be bomb-proof, right?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Solid bases are a plus in my book. I wonder why more brands don't offer more solid bases. Gotta look cool I guess.

Are you over the weight range for those flagships? Maybe you're over flexing the board right at that spot.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Die cuts are the dumbest base build ever but people like the way they look. Theyre covered under warranty well by most companies but you won't find me buying many boards with them just because with 8 million boards out there, no point in buying one with a higher durability risk. Die cuts blowing out aren't OVERLY common but it is common enough to where it's a documented issue.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not specifically with the same model as yours, but I've seen something similar recently on a friend's 18/19 Twin Sister. I went to the dealer with her to help explain and negotiate. In the end she decided to keep the board because she has some weird attachment to it but in the process I heard from the dealer that Jones switched base material supplier in 19/20 because of durability issues. Not sure if durability of base material is related to the flip flop die cuts separating, but that's what I heard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solid bases are a plus in my book. I wonder why more brands don't offer more solid bases. Gotta look cool I guess.

Are you over the weight range for those flagships? Maybe you're over flexing the board right at that spot.
I'm 6'2" and wiegh 97kg, so I am a big guy. I ride the 196W so well in range for the board.

·
Veteran Member
11,546 Posts
Jones boards have since the beginning have had a defect requiring warranty issues. Buyer be ware. They have some fun boards, but this sort of thing seems to happen a lot.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
to supplement what Killclimbz said, I did a lot of research before buying my splitboard about 6 years ago, or whenever it was. Jones was a well-known brand, so I stared with that in my mind. I had learned from the start that they had serious durability concerns and was directed to avoid them at all costs. I ended up going with a "local" manufacturer (Venture) that I hadn't actually heard of at the time, that had a great reputation for durability. In those 6 or so years, I have beat the sh!t out of my Venture and it has stood up to the abuse. The base doesn't look pretty, but rocks will gouge anything made out of P-tex. Splitboards take a beating for sure, at least around here. That's one of the things about back-country snow is you never know what's hiding directly below the surface, unlike powder ontop of groomed runs in bounds. Anyway, that's my two-cents and all second-hand info regarding Jones.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hmm, do you have a photo of the damage? I wonder if it is similar to mine. Though my Women's Flagship (15-16) is about 5 seasons old (though mainly used in the past three seasons, accumalating around 300-350 days) so I woud say it did quite well lasting as long as it did. I've been debating whether to replace it with another Women's Flagship, but I can't have the base splitting quickly now that I ride harder than when I first bought the last one. Here in Japan, warranty claims for Jones are handled by a company that handles a bunch of other brands including Flow. And given that I had a bitter experience while trying to claim through that company for a pair of Flow boots that fell appart in under 10 days (never buying their stuff again), if Jones board have build issues, I am going to have to look elsewhere. Which would be a pity because I do like my Flagship.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I also have a 15/16 Flagship that hasn't had any issues. It's my rock board now and is pretty beat up, but the base hasn't some apart at all. Jones has been bought by Nidecker and has changed factories once or twice since our 15/16 Flagships were made.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is the board in question, one of the UAE boards that tries to use die-cut "flip flop" bases as an actual marketing point?

Yes does that as well, at least they were doing that with my going-back 2+ season Greats and Jackpot. Same with my Bataleon Global Warmer - used to shit me, when the iron would "grind" over the undulations in the base, when waxing.

I always felt that this was not a marketing point, that it's shit, and that they'd be a point of disappointment if I wanted to hold on to them for more than 100 days on snow.

K2 Cool Bean from a couple of seasons back, had the same thing - felt one in store, you almost needed to moisturise your finger after running it down the length of the base, it had that many feel-able edges between different bits of colour/design. (I don't use hand moisturiser, just plum moisturiser -- just trying to illustrate that there were that many abrading points on the base).

Single piece bases (like the Marhar LJ I've got), on the other hand -- simply perfect. I don't know why more brands don't simply do this -- surely it's gotta be cheaper and easier to manufacture?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts