Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
The Swiss Miss
7,119 Posts
I don't consider it wide either but the op did say that its slow edge to edge which tells me he uses lots of energy in his legs trying to force something to happen down there just like I did for the first 10 years of my riding career. Slow edge to edge means I'm not leaning over enough, I lost leverage.
Hmmm... a slow edge to edge feel could also derive from a torsionally soft board. Maybe that's OPs issue. The Explorer is rather soft in those terms.

Iirc, your boards are torsionally rather stiff, at least the ones I tried. Even "the beast" felt quick edge to edge, even tho it was massively wide to me. Getting it ON edge, that was the sporty part, lol, but not the transition itself. Thus... I'm not sure if "quick edge to edge" is primarily a width thing; I would rather suspect torsional stiffness.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmm... a slow edge to edge feel could also derive from a torsionally soft board. Maybe that's OPs issue. The Explorer is rather soft in those terms.

Iirc, your boards are torsionally rather stiff, at least the ones I tried. Even "the beast" felt quick edge to edge, even tho it was massively wide to me. Getting it ON edge, that was the sporty part, lol, but not the transition itself. Thus... I'm not sure if "quick edge to edge" is primarily a width thing; I would rather suspect torsional stiffness.
[/QUOTE
So a skinny yet torsionally soft board would be slow edge to edge?
I fail to follow your logic on this, to me torsion has zero impact on a boards ability to be flipped from side to side.
I see a vertical thing pushing against a horizontal thing. The more horizontal you have, the more vertical you need to create equal force, so if a board gets wider, you need to get taller or lean over more in you turn if you dont want to experience the infamous slow edge to edge phenomenon.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,203 Posts
So a skinny yet torsionally soft board would be slow edge to edge?
I fail to follow your logic on this, to me torsion has zero impact on a boards ability to be flipped from side to side.
I see a vertical thing pushing against a horizontal thing. The more horizontal you have, the more vertical you need to create equal force, so if a board gets wider, you need to get taller or lean over more in you turn if you dont want to experience the infamous slow edge to edge phenomenon.
Torsionally soft= More flex= slower response before board reacts to input.

Torsionally Stiff- NO flex= INSTANT reaction to input. (...same reasoning behind stiff boots & bindings.)

Seems perfectly consistent with logic to me! 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm having trouble understanding how an advanced/expert rider with size 13 boots finds a Jones Explorer(a mid stiff board) to be slow edge to edge. Is it the board or maybe is it the boots or bindings? re
Update - this weekend I spent a long time getting my boots (circa 2016 Burton ION) as tight as humanly possible to the point where I was woried about breaking the laces and changed my back binding from +6 to -3 (front stayed at +18) and I must admit the board felt better when riding really aggressively so that is a win! I suspect the improvment came from the tighter more responsive boot fit and maybe the slight duck stance allowed me to get a bit lower?

I checked the binding position and both the front and rear are set one hole rearward from the 'reference stance' as indicted on the board. Should I try going back one more hole? In terms of boot or binding overhang, I really don't have any and the bindings are set evenly edge to edge - see photos.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,203 Posts
You want to check overhang with your boots IN the binding. (...strapped in) Then you can figure out if your bindings are centered properly to eliminate toe or heel drag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You want to check overhang with your boots IN the binding. (...strapped in) Then you can figure out if your bindings are centered properly to eliminate toe or heel drag.
I could have / should have posted those pics too but with boots in it is even and almost no overhang.

I have been reading and researching and have landed on the Burton Flight Attendant 162W (2019 model). Any feedback on whether or not this could be a good improvement for free riding over my Explorer?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Update - this weekend I spent a long time getting my boots (circa 2016 Burton ION) as tight as humanly possible to the point where I was woried about breaking the laces and changed my back binding from +6 to -3 (front stayed at +18) and I must admit the board felt better when riding really aggressively so that is a win! I suspect the improvment came from the tighter more responsive boot fit and maybe the slight duck stance allowed me to get a bit lower?

I checked the binding position and both the front and rear are set one hole rearward from the 'reference stance' as indicted on the board. Should I try going back one more hole? In terms of boot or binding overhang, I really don't have any and the bindings are set evenly edge to edge - see photos.

View attachment 151468

View attachment 151469

View attachment 151470

View attachment 151471

View attachment 151472
I also have Burton Ions. I think they are 2015. I pull the lower zone pretty snug, then pull the upper zone as tight as I can. I then smash the tongue in with my fist and tighten them some more. They Ions have close to 100 days on them and I just picked up some Vans Infuse a 1/2 size smaller to replace them.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I could have / should have posted those pics too but with boots in it is even and almost no overhang.

I have been reading and researching and have landed on the Burton Flight Attendant 162W (2019 model). Any feedback on whether or not this could be a good improvement for free riding over my Explorer?
I'd say yes, but it's a freestyle board with nose rocker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yep! It's a compromise board. You will see improvement, but perhaps not as much improvement as you would like.
Do you think the Deep Thinker would suit me better than the Flight Attendant? I have tried to compare the specs (effective edge, nose/waist/tail widths, sidecut, etc) between my Jones and these two Burtons but I can't really understand what separates them. The Burton website doesn't do a great job of explaining why someone would choose the DT or the FA so I am stuck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ughh. I see your point. Yet another case of board makers making very slight variations to essentially the same thing. I thought there was more setback and taper on the DT than the FT, not the case.

You want to find a board squarely in that freeride class that fits your foot well. Preferably with enough setback at the reference stance and taper for you to be able to turn quickly in the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not really. The industry has you thinking that 164W is wiiiiiiiide. It's not that wide at 265 mm. I would boot out for sure, it's just a question of how often and whether it's tolerable. With size 12.5 boots I don't bother with less than a 270 waist. Your call whether you have been booting out and need the width or not.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I still think you should check the Yes Standard or Nitro Magnum. Some of the best bigfoot boards I know that aren't super directional and pow specific.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts