·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jones Flagship
163 Wide
Burton Genesis Bindings
K2 Malaysia Boots
12 Front -9 Back, bindings set back all the way
I wax and tunes the board with Cold Wax that was matched for the temperatures.

Conditions ridden: Ice, Hard Park, Groomer, Hard and Soft Chop and 2 Feet of fresh Powder

Ride: 6'4 225, size 13 foot

This Board KILLS it. I mean in EVERY facet. It shines in the powder though. Edge to edge it is relatively quick, but helps if you know how to ride traditional camber and transfer your weight well.

Ice: I came across several large patches of ice a few days out on the trails. Straight lining it and holding an edge is not a problem. If you take it to a speed check a little too much, the board washes out a little, but what board wouldn't, its friggin ice.

Hard Pack: This thing just rips it, even with the big nose up front made for float, it has a quality locked in feel. Not as good as camber but definitely up there. I felt very confident in my turns and it rails pretty darn good. The mellow magnatraction holds well. This board just wants to run, its hilarious. Anything up in Vermont, I was basically straight lining with maybe a few dynamic turns built in.

Groomer: First Chair, early morning fresh groomers. Once again it just BOMBS and holds well. The base on the board is very fast. Linking turns were easy, you have to lean more weight into it then lets say certain Hybrid or Rocker boards. But this board once again is a knife through butter and it wants to just goooooooo.

Hard and Soft Chop: There is a little down fall on HARD CHOP, but this was 1 foot cement hard chop that had been ungroomed from a week ago. This board has less dampening then other boards but I think it increases the feel of the board if you are in a sketchy situation or variable conditions. I went down one run that was hard cement chop and I could feel every bump in my knees. I have a bad front knee, no meniscus or cartilage and severe arthritis that makes it worse but this board on that condition was brutal.

Now onto SOFT CHOP, 17 inches of fresh powder all piled up, this thing was beautiful, lean back and just smash through it. The board acted if it was its day job and just kept on putting down WORK!! This thing was a work horse for any fresh chop. I was plowing through ~3 Foot snow drifts or piles of fresh powder and blast through with ease and still stable. Even straight lining it through it for extended periods of time.

POWDER: Oh the GLORIOUS powder :jumping1:, the type that makes you giggle and possibly tear up in the midst of something so pure and precious and sought after. I shit you not I was a kid in a candy store on this day. showed up to the mountain 45 minutes early to get first chair on a Monday. I set first tracks down 4-5 runs, literally first man down and had a solid hour and a half of freshies. I giggled and wooed down EVERY single one of them. Oh wait, the review of the board, I was caught up day dreaming of the freshies.

THIS BOARD SHINES IN THE POW!!! I mean, straight lining EVERYTHING, LIKE A BOSS!!! But not any boss, that CEO of ABC boss status. I was straight lining all the black diamond runs up in Vermont. Maybe a few slow and subtle turns, with a few slahes and steez turn/hands out side wave slash but all that and then some it just "floated."

The nose of the board definitely stays up. I looked down a couple times when I was getting lazy and not leaning back as much and I watched the nose just burrow through the snow and there was never a over the handle bars worry at all. It rides faster with the tiny bit of weight in the back seat and turn initiation in the 2 feet+ pow is just "lean the weight" and it was amazing. The float of this board is perfect. If I do another backcountry British Columbia trip, I will be riding this board.

P.S.- I may be bigger but I can definitely butter this board, a couple so big I washed out backwards, but it was an epic fail, lol. Small jumps it was stable and so was the landing. The doctor told me no jumps so basically I hit side jumps or hips at the park and fly off trail transitions on the trails.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice review

How bad was the dampening when hitting chop? Is it because the board is stiff? And how stiff would you compare it to other boards? (K2 Slayblade, Burton Custom X, Ride Highlife UL)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,395 Posts
Great write up!
I agree with every word (except the butter PS part. When I last tried to press my 158... uhm... nothing happend :embarrased1:, gonna need to retry now that I've exercised bit more. I guess, the 100lb you have more help there :laugh:). But yeah, agree with everything else, especially with the excitement. It's my favourite board I ever owned n tried. Every time I take her out it's the same... damn, she's brilliant! (Just not in moguls... there she's a nasty one).

Little addition: the 2015 rides the same as the 2013.

Nice review

How bad was the dampening when hitting chop? Is it because the board is stiff? And how stiff would you compare it to other boards? (K2 Slayblade, Burton Custom X, Ride Highlife UL)
As golfer mentioned, you've to distinguish between soft and firm chop. Soft one: plow through it. Hard chop: use your knees or fly. She just won't dampen bumps.

Stiffer than the X, tad stiffer than Highlife. Don't know the Slayblade.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice review

The dampening was only bad on CEMENT style chop, I think any board would have been bad though in that case honestly.

In fresh powder DEEP chop it just plowed through.

I just picked up some Union Factory bindings that have AMAZING shock absorption. Ill be riding in Colorado for 4 days next week to see if that changed anything with the Flagship.

I think its because of the stiffness of the board that it has less dampening. It is definitely one of the stiffest out there. But the purpose of the board is for big mountain riding and powder. Doesn't get much better for that. When its in its element the board shines, even on groomers this thing rips and when ur on it I giggled because it just kept wanting to go faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts