Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner/intermediate rider looking to purchase my first board.

I have the option of getting the above two boards used but nearly new. My stats are 185cm, 180lbs, uk 11 boots. I want it for mainly riding groomers with family and then a little of everything else.

I can get the Jones Mountain Twin in a 162W and the Warpig in a large. However, the Mountain Twin is £120 more than the Warpig.

Which would you say is best? Is the mountain twin worth the extra?

I only want to have one board so looking at something that will do everything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. The mountain twin 162w is too big for you. Warpig in large or medium is both fine. With UK11 personally I would go large no problem.
I agree. The mountain twin 162w is too big for you. Warpig in large or medium is both fine. With UK11 personally I would go large no problem.
Yes, I was a little unsure of the MT size although the size chart on jones boards suggest 150-200lb for the 162w.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Out of Mt
Which out of the two would you then go for MT or Warpig?
Tough call, you could go either way really, maybe others can chime in with their thoughts.

Personally, I’d go medium warpig for sure. Very versatile. Would handle pow better, carves great, and you can still ride switch no prob. If it’s used, that’s ok, I think ride boards are better when broken in a bit anyways.

With the mountain twin (taking your boot size and weight in to account) I would be looking anywhere in that 156w to 160 size range. Just depends on your preference/riding style.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm 150 lbs, size 8, and ride the medium (151) Superpig. But then I tend not to downsize too aggressively even for the short fatties. Given that OP doesn't have a choice with size, I think the L Warpig will suit him fine.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks for the advice. My only concern with the warpig is how it would be at slow speeds when boarding with my children.
How old are your kids? I ride my 154(i'm 200 lbs) warpig when i'm with my grandkids ages 13 to 8 and my grandaugther 4 yrs.old just learned how to ski. I had no issues at all but i think the 151 should be better for you weight wise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree with everyone else if you go Warpig should be good with the Medium (im 6ft 170 lbs) been riding it the last two season and its my daily driver, great/fun in all terrain.
Cant imagine you having any issues keeping your speed low on it, its not a stiff board and Ive definitly ridden faster. If its flats your worried about I generally havent had issues waddling around on it.
Never ridden Jones mountain twin.. but with your Size 11 def recommend checking out Volumn shifted boards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree with everyone else if you go Warpig should be good with the Medium (im 6ft 170 lbs) been riding it the last two season and its my daily driver, great/fun in all terrain.
Cant imagine you having any issues keeping your speed low on it, its not a stiff board and Ive definitly ridden faster. If its flats your worried about I generally havent had issues waddling around on it.
Never ridden Jones mountain twin.. but with your Size 11 def recommend checking out Volumn shifted boards
I was more concerned with how it would manage at slow speeds. I've read a couple of reviews that said it's not great to turn etc without speed.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I was more concerned with how it would manage at slow speeds. I've read a couple of reviews that said it's not great to turn etc without speed.
it turns at slow speed unless you ride like the speed of a turtle. The warpig comes very alive when at high speed. The medium size is probably more playful so you could mess around learning ground tricks while you ride with your kids.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am 6' 200lbs and I ride a 159W jones mountain twin. I have thrown around boards up to 164.5W and I have never had trouble controlling one. Only trouble I did have was that boards that big love speed generally, and kids (mine are 7 and 4) don't go that fast. That board at least (T.Rice Pro HP) was loose (hybrid rocker) and squirrely until you got up to speed. Your side though you're 20lbs lighter than I am, and the 159W feels nice and nimble to me. Good for chasing kids and playing around on the sides of the runs while I wait for people who are learning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice. My only concern with the warpig is how it would be at slow speeds when boarding with my children.
I'm 185 cm & 240 lbs. I've got the extra large Warpig. It's great in the fluffy stuff, but its edge hold on firm groomers at speed leaves a bit to be desired. It's a powder board & a good one at that. When I travel to North America it's the one I take. I take the chance of average performance on the groomers & a ripping day if it's a pow day. Hanging with the kids used to be a slow affair, not anymore. Don't know about about the other board, haven't ridden one. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts