Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey snowboarders of the internet...been riding my new storm chaser and its amazing in powder but seems super slow on flats. I've only ridden it a few times and i thought maybe the slowness was the type of snow but now I've ridden it in a few different types of conditions and same thing.

normally i wouldn't wax a brand new board but do you think that's the issue? or is it just that this board is as wide as a tank?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Does that board have a spoon nose? If so it probably only has a belt grind on the base as spoon noses are a PITA to grind.
Belt ground bases are not fast, stone grinds are.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Wax that thing! It might help a little.

Yeah, what's the structure like? Maybe you could find someone to stone grind that beast. I've got a stiff steel structuring brush that scratches structure into the base. It isn't as good as a stone grind, but my boards have been noticeably faster with better glide. It's really good at bringing existing structure back out as well, but that's probably not your problem.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that board have a spoon nose? If so it probably only has a belt grind on the base as spoon noses are a PITA to grind.
Belt ground bases are not fast, stone grinds are.
yes spoon nose...with factory wax on it still. only ridden a few times. compared to my endeavor archetype it is much slower on flats.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The factory wax is long, long, long..... did I say long gone. You need to get that thing waxed pronto. Don't pass judgement until you do. When you wax it, I would give it a couple of waxes and then take it out again. My take is you will see a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I found the same with my 159 Surfer (3BT) across flats.
It rode unreal all over the mountain on slope but you could notice the resistance straight away across low inclined cat tracks and flat areas in Japan. I thought to myself WTF is happening here, I waxed it with Hertal LF FC739 only 2 days earlier. So re waxed it again and still the same. Never felt this before on any board I've ridden. So in my mind I believe it's the 3D profile. As soon as you go slightly off flat basing in order to set an edge the 3D profile in the nose cuts a trench in the snow and consequently slows you down. You don't feel this anywhere really except across the flats. It's something to do with this I feel.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the same with my 159 Surfer (3BT) across flats.
It rode unreal all over the mountain on slope but you could notice the resistance straight away across low inclined cat tracks and flat areas in Japan. I thought to myself WTF is happening here, I waxed it with Hertal LF FC739 only 2 days earlier. So re waxed it again and still the same. Never felt this before on any board I've ridden. So in my mind I believe it's the 3D profile. As soon as you go slightly off flat basing in order to set an edge the 3D profile in the nose cuts a trench in the snow and consequently slows you down. You don't feel this anywhere really except across the flats. It's something to do with this I feel.
That might be the issue...bummer cuz I do love the board but the drag on flats is a deal breaker. I don’t have time for that.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have a 3D fish as well that I haven't ridden due to closed borders and no o/s travel, but I'm expecting it to do the same. Need some feedback from other riders in here on 3D profiles if they feel this same phenomena.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My Party Wave is frustratingly slow on flats. I even waxed it, and it didn't seem to help much at all. I had chalked it up to the extruded base, but I could see how the profile could provide some resistance. Maybe I'll add more structure to that beast and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My Party Wave is frustratingly slow on flats. I even waxed it, and it didn't seem to help much at all. I had chalked it up to the extruded base, but I could see how the profile could provide some resistance. Maybe I'll add more structure to that beast and see if that helps.
All my other boards (cambered/flat based) are super fast across flats. I can get so much further than most other riders that have to break out......, except with the surfer. I noticed as soon as I go onto the slightest of edges and the 3bt in base makes a wedge in the snow it sort of felt like I had an elastic band on my back. Well......, not that bad but It's pretty noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I loved the surfer and looking back at video footage it really ripped but this could be one of the few cons with aggressive 3D bases.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This does seem like a glaring shortcoming with these otherwise really fun profiles.

I've been stoked with the 3D nose on my Surfari. The uplift is mellow and starts in the nose well after the contact point, so it just feels like s-camber on hardpack. It seems to help bust through crud and float in powder while not feeling as radical as my Bataleon.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
When I 1st felt it I couldn't work it out and was looking at base thinking WTF...., wax issues, but I was in Hokkaido and never felt this before. The base looked sweet with no dry out on edges. So hot waxed it in LF and the next day...., same issue. I then worked out that it was when I was weighting front foot to engage the edge on the flats it was very noticeable. This is my scientific appraisal of this issue. I could be wrong but it seems to me that this is the cause.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to my endless search for the perfect pow board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Mine run out really fast through the flats with the factory stone grind :p :p :p
If you side slip you can even hear the grooves of the stone structured base, it sounds like scratching the needle on a record.

When a base is belt ground it has millions of microscopic hairs on it, you notice it in the flats and in spring time.
A stone grind does not open up the base material, rather it compresses it back into itself and leaves a sealed, structured finish that is faaaaast in all conditions and requires less waxing, in fact I rode from mid december to early feb without waxing once. I only had to wax it last week when we got some warm powder that started at lunch time.

·
Registered
417 Posts

The Jones Storm Chaser is an awesome board in powder, extremely fast somehow regardless of how deep he powder. Any new board should be waxed before you take it out in my opinion. My Rossi Sushi is stupidly slow compared to the Storm Chaser in ANY powder, be it flat or steep. Get it waxed, keep the board or sell it to me if it's the older blue model. It definitely has deficiencies on groomed runs, but it's a powder board you are buying.

·
Registered
417 Posts
in fact I rode from mid december to early feb without waxing once. I only had to wax it last week when we got some warm powder that started at lunch time.

Mate what exactly are you riding these days as I saw a pic with a 152cm board I thought and you're a giant who carves? I get about 2-3 weeks and then struggle with my board wax wise, but then I don't bother rubbing it off either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts