Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start a thread to see what people think about it... Maybe stir the pot. What i found interesting is how United Shapes called Jones out for 'copying' their Horizons design for the Stratos. They are both similar. I own a US deep reach and Jones MT so i don't really have any bias in this. I like both brands for different reasons - just think it's funny.

Frivolous drama aside, the tight SCR is 'new' for Jones - and I wonder if we will see them make more dart-y boards to tackle more of the market since they've got almost all fringes of free riding covered with their line up. I'd argue there's already some 'hair-splitting' in their quiver.

·
Registered
943 Posts
United shapes can eat my ass. Tons of brands are making an all mountain freestyle twin with a directional shape and taper. Seems like the same concept as a SPAM or Brewster or Super Bueno by burton. There’s even volume shifted boards in this new genre like the Warpig or party platter. All that being said, I think it’s a cool board for Jones to make. It seems like a departure from their normal stuff.

·
Registered
966 Posts
looks cool, looks like they are releasing wider models next year "Our 2020-2021 line will include a wider Stratos size range." would love something 27cm at the waist at mid 150's

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah saw this yesterday and looks interesting. Downside for me though is the default stance width is too wide which means not being able to use the powder inserts.

Maybe things will change next year when they release more sizes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
looks cool, looks like they are releasing wider models next year "Our 2020-2021 line will include a wider Stratos size range." would love something 27cm at the waist at mid 150's
I’d be in on that option. It’s a great looking board, for sure.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I kinda see where United Shapes is coming from, but that shape/style is super popular, the Rossi Sashimi looks similar as well as other boards im sure jones21-stratos.jpg united-shapes-horizon-snowboard-2020-.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
The shape vaguely looks similar, but the profile, and rest of the details of the specs clearly are not even close to similar. The Stratos could be my dreamboard. I've been daily driving a Rome Blur and am loving the soft-ish flex for that type of board. What the Blur lacks is taper for float and a more turny ride -- and slam back inserts for deep days! Everything the Jones Stratos has.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Slamback inserts is just a marketing gimmick to help with the sale of 4x4 bindings, but it looks like a fun board.
Slamback's do work (I have a Yes Standard), but it would be better if they weren't so stingy and just put extra inserts in-between to give more stance and binding compatibility

Unless it is just marketing of course

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Slamback's do work (I have a Yes Standard), but it would be better if they weren't so stingy and just put extra inserts in-between to give more stance and binding compatibility

Unless it is just marketing of course
I know it works, but skipping one insert just to call it slamback..

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
It's a very playful board. I rode a 156 cm Stratos today and yesterday and compared it with the Burton Flight Attendant 152 cm, Gnu Antigravity 156 cm and Yes Optimistic 151 cm in powder, tracked out powder and on really nice groomers. At 165 lbs I'm in the upper end of the weight range for the 156 Stratos. I would have been closer to the middle of the range on a 159 cm Stratos, but this is my post-Christmas/New Year's weight, though, and I hope to be back down to ~160 lbs fairly soon.

The Stratos is very, very playful. The nose is large and soft. It does roll nicely from edge to edge and loves tight turns. It's ridiculously easy to toss around. It glided easily through powder without any leaning back so I had to consciously not bother to lean back. In the chop it rode through and held or changed lines very well -- it didn't throw me around but also didn't try to fold. The maneuverability was similar to the Yes Optimistic, but I'd say the Stratos was quicker edge-to-edge and actually had better float.

I didn't come across any significant icy sections so I can't speak to edge hold on really firm/icy stuff, but in 'normal' conditions and in the fluffy stuff I really enjoyed it.

Overall this is another great board. I could definitely see it as a daily driver, and it'll probably be one of my boards of choice for tight/technical terrain going forward.

Camber profile shots included because I haven't seen any online, yet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Page 72

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's a very playful board. I rode a 156 cm Stratos today and yesterday and compared it with the Burton Flight Attendant 152 cm, Gnu Antigravity 156 cm and Yes Optimistic 151 cm in powder, tracked out powder and on really nice groomers. At 165 lbs I'm in the upper end of the weight range for the 156 Stratos. I would have been closer to the middle of the range on a 159 cm Stratos, but this is my post-Christmas/New Year's weight, though, and I hope to be back down to ~160 lbs fairly soon.

The Stratos is very, very playful. The nose is large and soft. It does roll nicely from edge to edge and loves tight turns. It's ridiculously easy to toss around. It glided easily through powder without any leaning back so I had to consciously not bother to lean back. In the chop it rode through and held or changed lines very well -- it didn't throw me around but also didn't try to fold. The maneuverability was similar to the Yes Optimistic, but I'd say the Stratos was quicker edge-to-edge and actually had better float.

I didn't come across any significant icy sections so I can't speak to edge hold on really firm/icy stuff, but in 'normal' conditions and in the fluffy stuff I really enjoyed it.

Overall this is another great board. I could definitely see it as a daily driver, and it'll probably be one of my boards of choice for tight/technical terrain going forward.

View attachment 152150 View attachment 152152

View attachment 152156 View attachment 152157
What straps are you running on those NOW bindings? Doesnt look like any of theirs...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
@LightninSVT: Those are last season's Pilots. Original straps. No changes. If you look closely at the photos you can actually see the "Now" logo stitched on the inside of the ankle strap...

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 152150 View attachment 152152

View attachment 152156 View attachment 152157
How do you think this compares to the Frontier? Stuck between the two boards atm

1 - 20 of 55 Posts