Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reaching paralysis by analysis on these 3 boards and can't pull the trigger on which one to get on sale

Context: I've been snowboarding for about 10 years, with a definite focus up to now on looking for powder - either inbound or backcountry. I've started to loose interest in carving on groomers and looking for speed, however I really want to improve my freestyle skills where is my weak spot. I can take kickers of medium size np but really looking at improving ollies, riding switch, etc... to start having fun on groomers again and introduce more diversity & confidence in my style when going outbound. I'm not particularly attracted in spending hours in the park per se though. I ride mostly in Europe and West Coast (Whistler, Tahoe)

My current set up is a Jones Solution Split and an old K2 TurboDream. I love the Jones for its flex & general stability, edge hold and float in powder. I have it big (162cm) since it's freeride oriented. While I've had the K2 for a while, when getting back on it now I actually hate the flat/ rocker profile for its floaty feeling. Definitely prefer a good old camber between the feet (the Camrock Jones profile is ideal for me)

Ended up on this shortlist as I'm looking for a camber/ camrock profile and mostly twin to help me progress in my freestyle. So probably something on the shorter side (~156) - I'm 5"9 and 165lbs

The 100% twin profile of the Greats and softer flex make me think it may be more suited for my purpose. But not sure if it'd make a real difference and I guess I can always center my stance on the UMT. Attracted to the UTM for its similar profile to my split, which should make it easy to transition from/ to on a day to day basis. But wondering if it'd not end up being too stiff/ directional for want I'm looking for. The Custom is the wildcard; throwing it in there as I've heard lots of good things about it

Anyone with experience of all or 2 of these boards and some good advice to provide? :nerd: Super appreciated in advance!!!! :smile:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Owned the Custom Twin (when it was full camber) and rode a few Greats the past couple seasons. Both really fun boards and def fit the bill for what your looking to do. Both super fun in the park and carving/ripping around. The Custom Twin that I had was stiffer than the Greats, but not by much. Custom Twin is super fun and stable on jump lines esp. The Greats is fun all over, jumps & jibs. Can't go wrong with either.

Maybe even consider the regular Custom? For a little more pow friendly compared to the above 2 twin decks, cos of its directional twin attribute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, GDimac! I'm super happy with my current set up (Solution) for pow days so decided to take that out of the equation. Did you ever notice any difference in edge hold between the 2? I watched couple of reviews complaining about the Custom on hard pack/ icy snow

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
I'm gonna give you more options. Cause I can. And I want to.

Arbor Coda Camber, Ride Burnout, Lib HotKnife, Flow Whiteout, or a regular Custom Camber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The ultra mountain Twin is probably too much, I think the yes greats of gnu riders choice would be an awesome choice

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Loll was wondering when you'd come and say that. You really don't like the Ultra version eh?
The Ultra is just an all-around worse board than the regular MT. The flex profile and stiffness just do not match the rest of the design at all. It might be a little more stable at high speeds but loses out in almost every other category (pop/jumps, buttering, pow float, jibs).

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Loll was wondering when you'd come and say that. You really don't like the Ultra version eh?
The 2018 is better but the fact that Jones makes around 500 of them kind of speaks volumes about the board. The guy that's going to buy the UMT is also the guy that's first chair to last call Saturday and Sunday while showing off his new BroDozer in the parking lot. The price tag alone should tell you who this is for.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Don't forget the Lago Double Barrel. And don't get paralysed, when you've got this much choice of great and very similar boards price and even graphics can play a part in the decision.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm gonna give you more options. Cause I can. And I want to.

Arbor Coda Camber, Ride Burnout, Lib HotKnife, Flow Whiteout, or a regular Custom Camber.
Yup, the Custom is timeless.

And OP, both had decent edge hold. My Custom Twin was full camber so that helped, the Greats was fine too. I ride mainly here in the east coast in Canada, where we ride hard-packed/icy conditions regularly; which is why it's often called the ice coast lol.

But ya, can't go wrong with either choice in this situation. If your freestyle focus is mainly jumps, I'd personally say the Custom/CTwin. Good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Ultra is just an all-around worse board than the regular MT. The flex profile and stiffness just do not match the rest of the design at all. It might be a little more stable at high speeds but loses out in almost every other category (pop/jumps, buttering, pow float, jibs).
The 2018 is better but the fact that Jones makes around 500 of them kind of speaks volumes about the board. The guy that's going to buy the UMT is also the guy that's first chair to last call Saturday and Sunday while showing off his new BroDozer in the parking lot. The price tag alone should tell you who this is for.
Hmmm, seems to be a common theme when talking bout the Ultra version. Esp hearing similar things from the both of you, who are some of the most knowledgeable dudes on here. Esp SG, who seems to know every damn spec and tech to a T loll.

Would this be a similar situation with the Burton Custom Mystery, where the ridic price tag doesn't seem to justify all the apparent advanced tech compared to the regular Custom?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's interesting feedback :) The main reason I went towards the Ultra was that I can get it at a good discount while I haven't found the regular on sales haha

If looking at MT vs. a full twin (e.g. Greats or Custom), does the slightly directional profile would make any difference for my target usage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I discounted the Lib because of the C3BTX profile; not that keen on the rocker between the feet, and trying again something else/ new...
For some reason, I always had a pre-conceived idea that Flow boards where a notch less qualitative than other brands - happy to be told otherwise :)
Love the look of the Coda, and the Ride comes in 154W which could be a great fit... Do you have any experience with the latter?

Being a US 10 for boots and 165lbs, is it reasonable to consider a 154 for the custom or should I go bigger (156)?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
No, in my albeit limited, experience Flow's quality is up there with the best mass produced boards on the market. And they're usually a bit cheaper and ride really well which to my mind makes them some of the best value boards on the market.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Hmmm, seems to be a common theme when talking bout the Ultra version. Esp hearing similar things from the both of you, who are some of the most knowledgeable dudes on here. Esp SG, who seems to know every damn spec and tech to a T loll.

Would this be a similar situation with the Burton Custom Mystery, where the ridic price tag doesn't seem to justify all the apparent advanced tech compared to the regular Custom?
Lets just say there's a reason you won't see the Custom Mystery in the lineup for 2018. Unless I didn't dig hard enough through the catalog.

That's interesting feedback :) The main reason I went towards the Ultra was that I can get it at a good discount while I haven't found the regular on sales haha

If looking at MT vs. a full twin (e.g. Greats or Custom), does the slightly directional profile would make any difference for my target usage?
Even with a discount the regular MT is still the better choice. It's more lively and not dead feeling.

I discounted the Lib because of the C3BTX profile; not that keen on the rocker between the feet, and trying again something else/ new...
For some reason, I always had a pre-conceived idea that Flow boards where a notch less qualitative than other brands - happy to be told otherwise :)
Love the look of the Coda, and the Ride comes in 154W which could be a great fit... Do you have any experience with the latter?

Being a US 10 for boots and 165lbs, is it reasonable to consider a 154 for the custom or should I go bigger (156)?
C3's profile claims that it has a little bit of rocker between the feet, it's almost flat. It's essentially camber 2.0 and you won't notice that ever so subtle dip in it.

Flows decks are super solid, I know the designer, I'd ride anything he builds from any of the brands he's worked for without question.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I have the 156 The Greats. Good grip, and lots of pop when loading up out of a turn. Surprised the heck out of me the first time I really loaded up....:eyetwitch2:. Anyways, of my three boards, I rode my The Greats exclusively last season. It's that good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts