Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get a strickly pow slayer for next season, and I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. Looking at the Jones Carbon Flagship and the Never Summer Raptor X. Anyone ride either, and/or have any comments?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I feel like these threads happen often. "I want a pow specific deck, that can also carve hard on groomers but it soft enough to take in the park..." :dunno:

Depends on what you want OP, if you really only want to ride pow with this board, the options you mentioned are not the best choices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, and I also know that I'm not going to be centered on the board, but set back. I like having that safety net of being able to go switch long enough to get back around if I get spun around, crash, or something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, and I also know that I'm not going to be centered on the board, but set back. I like having that safety net of being able to go switch long enough to get back around if I get spun around, crash, or something.
The raptor does not ride switch all that well, if you only need to ride switch for the situation what you described above it would be great. But doing some top to bottom switch runs you will find it is pretty twitchy. Other than that it is great for pow, crud and groomers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Raptor is not terrible in pow, but it is far from a real pow deck. Good board, but not a pow slayer.
yah i get that its not tapered, swallowtail, whatever, its a charging deck.... and the best charging is thru powder!!
the OP's looking for something that can ride both ways, there's not much with more pow specific features that goes both ways.

if you can't slay pow on a raptor, it's likely the problem is you, not the board

works for me anyway
2cents...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Still have to properly test the 'Craft on feet of powder. But that thing floats like a cloud.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I am riding every board in the NS line. If it is strictly a powder board that you are after, the Summit is what you want. As for Jones, I think the Hovercraft is the one you want.

The Raptor does ride powder effortlessly and has the added benefit of being super damp for better handling in crud and hard surface conditions. Personally, I feel that the Premier is a little better ride in powder than the Raptor due to be a little softer flex and less damp but that is really personal preference.

Also, the Raptor does ride switch very well as does the Premier once the rider dials in the feel. The Summit rides switch well on firmer groomed terrain but not so well in powder or deep spring slush.
Isn't the Cobra a pow deck?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
Hmmm... I can only give impressions on the 2013 Flagship and Raptor (not carbon, not X). I ride a 158 Flagship and my husband a 164 Raptor. We've taken then into a lot of pow this season and we've both tried each others boards. I'm VERY happy with the Flagship in pow, even in 40cm deep. Very good float, (well, it's pretty long for my weight), very fast, very stable, super responsive (and I like that it's a hybrid camber :)) Cons: a rather tiring ride in choppy afternoon groomers. It won't absorb bumps. Null. zero. Here you'll find the big advantage of the Raptor: it's very well dampened and agile in moguls. I love my Flagship on morning groomers but also found the Raptor to be big fun to carve, thought I don't like the Rocker while straight lining... Hubby would prefere to have a Flagship for carving since its stiffer but makes pencil line carves with the Raptor too. We both prefer the Raptor in the afternoon crud :D

I'd say, the Flagship is more specialized. I take it for pow days and on cold groomer days. In such conditions it is PHANTASTIC, it's stability was the most striking quality. But it's bitchy elsewhere. For spring crud mogul days I got a softer backup board. The Raptor is more of an all day board.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Neither? Regular Flagship over carbon. You don't need a carbon Flagship. No one does.

K2 Ultra Dream. Still one of the best freeride/pow boards I've ridden. Or maybe a YES PYL? I just don't like Magne. And for a pow board why would you need it anyway?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
For what? Hiking? Sure, if you're hiking multiple miles. Then again people have been doing it just fine for like ever with boards that aren't a full carbon topsheet. You save what, maybe like half a pound? Take the extra $400 you'd save and get a gym membership and get stronger. You'll save more weight in a hiking situation if you take a shit before you head out.

If you're putting yourself into crazy ascent situations like Jones then the weight savings can make a difference. You're not. And it will be a lot less painful for you if you sharkfin your new deck if it's the regular and not the carbon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts