Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever had those on the hill? I was all pumped to go boarding today, woke up at 5:45, got ready and drove out to pick up my friend. Half way to go pick her up I stop at the bank machine to take out some cash and then gas up the car. Noticed I left my bank card at home and have no cash. So had to go back home. Finally get to my friends place, 40min late and we head out.
Great weather, nice slope conditions for this time of year, not many people around, perfect.
On my 4th run I do a toe ride turn, not even sure how I caught an edge as I was on my toe edge, and just ended up twisting like a pretzel on my way down and sprain my ankle in the process. Pretty much day is done. I hang around so she can ski longer, I'm a nice guy :yahoo: and the foot is getting better. Walking to the car, step on ice and twist the same ankle again! and in the same way. FML.
Finally made it home, laying in bed relaxing and icing it. First snowboard injury ever. I'm proud :laugh: but need serious help with toe side turns.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had a very similar day Friday. I go with my dad who skis and is in his 60s. As we are trying to leave our dog yaks on the carpet in four different places. This puts us about 1/2 an hour behind schedule. After that I have to stop at the post office where for once things actually finally go smooth. Get to the hill, conditions are great and the weather is awesome. We get to the top of the lift and my dad heads off. I strap in and head off. Snow is absolutely perfect! As I come over the last ride I wonder who the tool sitting in the middle of the run is. Turns out to be my dad, who managed to wipe out just before the bottom and tear his calf muscle. 4 hours in the emergency room later it looks like the year is done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RE: bad luck

Ever had those on the hill? I was all pumped to go boarding today, woke up at 5:45, got ready and drove out to pick up my friend. Half way to go pick her up I stop at the bank machine to take out some cash and then gas up the car. Noticed I left my bank card at home and have no cash. So had to go back home. Finally get to my friends place, 40min late and we head out.
Great weather, nice slope conditions for this time of year, not many people around, perfect.
On my 4th run I do a toe ride turn, not even sure how I caught an edge as I was on my toe edge, and just ended up twisting like a pretzel on my way down and sprain my ankle in the process. Pretty much day is done. I hang around so she can ski longer, I'm a nice guy :yahoo: and the foot is getting better. Walking to the car, step on ice and twist the same ankle again! and in the same way. FML.
Finally made it home, laying in bed relaxing and icing it. First snowboard injury ever. I'm proud :laugh: but need serious help with toe side turns.
So, not trying to play the "mine is bigger than yours", but three weeks, 1 day, and 12 hours ago!, we got all geared up for a little 2 hour ride to a ski area up a little north. Great day, good breakfast, awesome conditions. Cool, what could go wrong? Riding for about 4 hours straight, maybe overdoing it but whatever. Okay, last run for the west mountain, it's 4 pm and they'll be shutting this side down....okay, grab the middle black and see you at the bottom.

I never made it to the bottom on my own. Have to thank the ski patrol for that.

First serious injury in just 3 years of riding and doing simple park stuff. Still don't know what happened, other than I ended up eating some snow. I'll blame it on my noodly park board being asked to carry me through some chunky cut up stuff....lol

Ended up with a totally gnarly elbow dislocation.. pop and all, arm going the wrong way, crazy pain, F**K!. Stuck on the mountain....and I paid $61 for this.

$750 ambulance ride, a shot a propophol (Jackson Juice...lol), and it's all back in.

Now, three weeks of PT and waiting wearing a cool cyborg-ish plastic brace complete with hinges...and I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow after we get our new 6 to 8 inches of white stuff.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. :dizzy:

If it don't kill you, it makes you stronger...albeit a little poorer.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good stories guys, hell of a lot worse than what happened to me. No matter what you do it all goes wrong, and sometimes really really wrong. Its like someone wants you punished haha.
Snowolf, that's great gotta use that next time!

·
Registered
711 Posts
All I know is, I'm glad my dreams dont come true.

Cant tell you how many dreams I've had where I forgot my boots at home, then drive back to get them, only to realize when I'm back at the mtn that they dont have shoelaces, then drive back home again. Or I forget what locker I put my stuff in or forget my board, or the lift lines are 2 miles long, or traffic is backed up for 20 miles, only to get to the mtn to make one run , then the mtn closes for the day.

Stop the insanity

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is, I'm glad my dreams dont come true.

Cant tell you how many dreams I've had where I forgot my boots at home, then drive back to get them, only to realize when I'm back at the mtn that they dont have shoelaces, then drive back home again. Or I forget what locker I put my stuff in or forget my board, or the lift lines are 2 miles long, or traffic is backed up for 20 miles, only to get to the mtn to make one run , then the mtn closes for the day.

Stop the insanity
Haha, I have dreams similar to this but I'm back in high school...except I'm my current age in the dream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts