Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

K2 Alchemist sizing

2025 Views 24 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Lain
So I’ve narrowed it down to the K2 Alchemist as my hard charging board. But what size should I get?

measurements:

5’11 tall
160lbs
10.5 boot

I think the 157 and 160 are the recommended. I’m guessing bigger would be better for powder and shorter is more nimble when turning. I’ll ride the alchemist for charging technical terrain and some powder, and ridemy Korua dart for lower angle powder and carving groomers.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
109 Posts
So I’ve narrowed it down to the K2 Alchemist as my hard charging board. But what size should I get?

measurements:

5’11 tall
160lbs
10.5 boot

I think the 157 and 160 are the recommended. I’m guessing bigger would be better for powder and shorter is more nimble when turning. I’ll ride the alchemist for charging technical terrain and some powder, and ridemy Korua dart for lower angle powder and carving groomers.
I’m selling a 160 if you’re still looking.

· Registered
25 Posts
Tough call. Based on weight I would say 157, but with your foot size you could maybe size up to 160. Personally, I would say go 157. I am almost your identical stats (8.5 boot size being the only difference) and I have found that sizing up freeride boards, especially those as aggressive as the alch, can be a bad time. Like completely ruin your experience on the board. That board has such a prime shape for ripping cord and also getting deep that I think 157 is the way to go unless you are absolutely snorkeling AK lines. There's plenty of nose and setback that will make it stellar in snow at 157, yet remain nimble on hard stuff.

· Premium Member
109 Posts
Tough call. Based on weight I would say 157, but with your foot size you could maybe size up to 160. Personally, I would say go 157. I am almost your identical stats (8.5 boot size being the only difference) and I have found that sizing up freeride boards, especially those as aggressive as the alch, can be a bad time. Like completely ruin your experience on the board. That board has such a prime shape for ripping cord and also getting deep that I think 157 is the way to go unless you are absolutely snorkeling AK lines. There's plenty of nose and setback that will make it stellar in snow at 157, yet remain nimble on hard stuff.
I totally agree with you here! Normally, this is exactly what I would say, however my experience was very different with the alchemist. For whatever reason, it has a shocking blend of approachability to go with the way it absolutely slays high speed, aggressive riding. I ended up sizing up to the 163 with no issues and I'm just an intermediate rider. I'm not drastically heavier either at 195-200lbs.

It's totally up to personal preference as well and everyone is different. Normally, I go with a shorter board than what is recommended.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How is the board treating you? I can’t figure out what size to get. Im 5’10”, 190-200 pounds and a 10.5 vans boot. Can’t decide between the 157 or the 160
Reporting back: I've taken the board on some serious rides, Park city for 1 week, then Les 3 Vallees for a week, and now Chamonix. This is now my favorite board. It really holds an edge and springs out of carves. Can bomb at full speed with confidence. Also been in some powder and the taper seems to sink the tail enough and the nose floats well. This board is stiff for sure! Which I like. But you can't ride lazy. It doesnt like lazy posture and ankle steering. It's pretty sketchy and unforgiving when you get tired, which is expected.

Sizing: I think the 160 is perfect for my specs. Although, at 10.5 boots, they are right at the limits of this size board. Any bigger boot and this board wouldnt lay down carves well. I've yet to catch my boots, but I also dont lay this board on the edge that much as I'm usually going too fast for that.

For your weight, the 160 would probably work. I'm 160, maybe 170-180 with my backpack and clothes. and the board performs very well.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
For others riding the Alchemist, how much did it break in? I have been riding mine for two days now, and it feels like it has gotten a good bit softer already.
I’ve put on mine 164W (190 lbs 9 US boot) like 6 days so far (3-4 hours a day on it as I’m swapping boards) and it has pretty much the same flex. I’ve never thought it was that stiff, I’d still give it 7.5/10 flex feel.
Sky Snow Cloud Slope Tree

1 - 20 of 25 Posts