Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a board to replace my rossignol angus. I love the board and its taken me down some sick stuff like corbets, alta chutes, and countless bowls. Unfortunately it has 3-4 cracked edges and a cracked top sheet. I also have a k2 happy hour and love it for park and mellower riding but when it comes to steeper, gated, and more technical terrain it just doesn't cut it for me. The carve air has really drawn my attention because of its stiffer profile, shape, and the idea of volume shift but I'm not sure if it will be the best replacement. The idea of a surfier board is incising as well.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Not the right board. The Carveairs name is exactly what it's good at. Carving and blasting airs. It is not a freeride board.

If you want a volumized freeride board look at the Yes 420 or maybe three new Ride Warping.

If you want a bomber ass freeride board look at the Niche Story and Lago Open Road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whitelines Snowboarding had the CarveAir as the best freeride board of 2015-16

The winner of this category really had to be one that puts the ride first, no matter what the snow conditions. Be it pow, piste, crud or slush, our testers found the CarveAir to be an absolute delight. It may be shorter than conventional boards, but unless you’re into charging serious steeps then it still gives you all the stability you need in deeper snow – and on tight lines at slower speeds, it really comes into its own.

On the piste it’s even better, stiff enough to hold a hard carve yet light enough to fly off rollers and side hits. Having ridden the K2 CarveAir on both firm and slushy groomers – as well as in the powder – our testers gave us the verdict; this is the year’s best freeride board, and maybe one of the best of all time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whitelines Snowboarding had the CarveAir as the best freeride board of 2015-16

The winner of this category really had to be one that puts the ride first, no matter what the snow conditions. Be it pow, piste, crud or slush, our testers found the CarveAir to be an absolute delight. It may be shorter than conventional boards, but unless you’re into charging serious steeps then it still gives you all the stability you need in deeper snow – and on tight lines at slower speeds, it really comes into its own.

On the piste it’s even better, stiff enough to hold a hard carve yet light enough to fly off rollers and side hits. Having ridden the K2 CarveAir on both firm and slushy groomers – as well as in the powder – our testers gave us the verdict; this is the year’s best freeride board, and maybe one of the best of all time.
I saw this too that's why im so curious. I've seen people its really only good for carving and side hits (still a really fun board though) and then some people are saying its an amazing board for everything and a great all mountain/freeride board.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,309 Posts
I saw this too that's why im so curious. I've seen people its really only good for carving and side hits (still a really fun board though) and then some people are saying its an amazing board for everything and a great all mountain/freeride board.
Check where those ppl come from, i.e. what's the terrain n snow"type" they ride. Different opinions may origin due to different contiditions. The perfect "freeride" (thats suuuuch a wide term anyway) board in fluffy light pow in trees won't be the same like the perfect deck to "freeride" steep lines in dense pow or fluff in rather flat terrain or...

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
The Whitelines guys aren't exactly the most reliable.

For starters, the Carveair is a twin. When was the last time "best freeride board of the year" was a twin? Having ridden the Carveair in a few different conditions, it's not a traditional freeride board. I would not take it to Jackson or AK or even ride it on a deep pow day in Summit. Blasting groomers and ripping carves? Yeah, then I'd grab it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What Nivek said. Adding some shape to the nose and tail of an otherwise fully symetrical centered stance cambered board will not make it handle like a directional freeride board in the steep and deep. As far as the volume shift you are speaking of, there is not enough surface area difference between the nose and tail to make it perform differently than a twintip in powder. You will still have to ride it with all your weight on the back leg to keep the nose from sinking. Nose would have to be a lot longer and with a super smooth rise to add any real float on that type of shape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What Nivek said. Adding some shape to the nose and tail of an otherwise fully symetrical centered stance cambered board will not make it handle like a directional freeride board in the steep and deep. As far as the volume shift you are speaking of, there is not enough surface area difference between the nose and tail to make it perform differently than a twintip in powder. You will still have to ride it with all your weight on the back leg to keep the nose from sinking. Nose would have to be a lot longer and with a super smooth rise to add any real float on that type of shape.

Come on guys set it up with setback and it is pretty good in pow.
We have 16 ft of base this year and have had lots of foot and a half pow days this year in north shore Vancouver mountains.
I have not touched my 163 Supra team since I got my Carveair.
Carveair has effective edge of around a 160 regular board.
On slush , groomed , pow (not a like dedicated pow board but it does handle it) and steep and tight it has been smile fest.
I'm 190 plus gear and I though a 154 would be too small. Nope
With 1.5 inch setback and my cartel ltd (stiff diode back and straps) bindings it is like surfing.
As for it being a twin the tail is so short it allows you to throw it around on steeps and .instantaneous direction changes. I would not ride Switch at speed as it has so little rise .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts