Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deep south boarder here trying to prepare for my annual pilgrimage to the hill. I'm trying to get my gear ready for this season ( I don't get the chance to do much riding, maybe 4 days a year), but I picked up a pair of K2 Maysis about a year ago. When I first got them I thought they felt a bit snug but the size up was definitely too big, my toes didn't even scrape the liner. Both on the slopes and walking around I can feel pressure on the top of my foot and sides of my toes. After a while I sometimes feel like I have some sock caught between my toes when I don't. I mainly wear my stance snowboard socks. My toes get a little tingly sometimes too. It was my understanding that K2's were wide and tall as far as boots go. I've seen all sorts of solutions so I'm wondering which is best?

1. Get new boots, I'd prefer to get these to work.

2. Let them pack out, I'm wondering if this will be enough, and if there is any way too speed it up so that I can be comfortable??

3. Insoles. My only fear here is that I already have pressure on the top of my foot, wouldn't this put more onto it?

4. I'm cranking down too hard. I don't think this is the case as even when I feel like my boots are too loose I feel a little pressure on top/sides of my foot.

Any tips from those more experienced?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Deep south boarder here trying to prepare for my annual pilgrimage to the hill. I'm trying to get my gear ready for this season ( I don't get the chance to do much riding, maybe 4 days a year), but I picked up a pair of K2 Maysis about a year ago. When I first got them I thought they felt a bit snug but the size up was definitely too big, my toes didn't even scrape the liner. Both on the slopes and walking around I can feel pressure on the top of my foot and sides of my toes. After a while I sometimes feel like I have some sock caught between my toes when I don't. I mainly wear my stance snowboard socks. My toes get a little tingly sometimes too. It was my understanding that K2's were wide and tall as far as boots go. I've seen all sorts of solutions so I'm wondering which is best?

1. Get new boots, I'd prefer to get these to work.

2. Let them pack out, I'm wondering if this will be enough, and if there is any way too speed it up so that I can be comfortable??

3. Insoles. My only fear here is that I already have pressure on the top of my foot, wouldn't this put more onto it?

4. I'm cranking down too hard. I don't think this is the case as even when I feel like my boots are too loose I feel a little pressure on top/sides of my foot.

Any tips from those more experienced?
I wear K2 Thraxis boots. They fit me pretty well when new, but tend to pack out quicker than I'd like. Last year I tried getting Maysis and holy hell did they ever hurt my feet. Way too tight even after heat molding and having the Boa quite loose. I returned them to REI after a day and got the Thraxis again.

Goes to show you that different models of the same brand and same year can fit significantly different.

You can try heat molding before you give up on them. That was enough to make them work for a buddy of mine and he loves his.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Maysis is my go to.

-How many days do you have on them so far?
-Have you tried a heat mold?
-Have you tried adjusting the Conda (the plastic piece controlled by the second boa) further up from your ankle?
-Insoles won't usually decrease space for the toes. Shred soles, for example, really only beef up the arch support with other key points thrown in.
-Are your stance socks particularly thick?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maysis is my go to.

-How many days do you have on them so far?
-Have you tried a heat mold?
-Have you tried adjusting the Conda (the plastic piece controlled by the second boa) further up from your ankle?
-Insoles won't usually decrease space for the toes. Shred soles, for example, really only beef up the arch support with other key points thrown in.
-Are your stance socks particularly thick?
These are pretty fresh, got them towards the end of last season, so probably about 4-5. Also my first "new" boot.

I did get them molded when I bought them, but it didn't seem to be much of a change which was surprising.

I haven't, but I certainly will try that, how high is too high?

I would like to try some insoles to see if that helps any, I fear that my foot may be flattening out in the boot too much.

Lastly, they don't seem too thick, definitely thicker than your average sock however.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wear K2 Thraxis boots. They fit me pretty well when new, but tend to pack out quicker than I'd like. Last year I tried getting Maysis and holy hell did they ever hurt my feet. Way too tight even after heat molding and having the Boa quite loose. I returned them to REI after a day and got the Thraxis again.

Goes to show you that different models of the same brand and same year can fit significantly different.

You can try heat molding before you give up on them. That was enough to make them work for a buddy of mine and he loves his.
I had them heat molded when I bought them, but it didn't seem to make a significant difference. Do you remember what about them hurt your feet?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Give them some time. You don't want them to be 100% comfortable at first. They will pack out and be in a better place after another 5 or 6 days assuming you put full days on them. Check out shred soles and super feet. Shred soles are snowboarder owned and run and only cost like $25. Never used super feet myself but they have a solid reputation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give them some time. You don't want them to be 100% comfortable at first. They will pack out and be in a better place after another 5 or 6 days assuming you put full days on them. Check out shred soles and super feet. Shred soles are snowboarder owned and run and only cost like $25. Never used super feet myself but they have a solid reputation.
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the insoles that would help prevent the pressure on my feet?
I'm definitely looking into them, for the price if they can help out you can't beat it. I've just heard that numbness from boots being too tight is a no go.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the insoles that would help prevent the pressure on my feet?
I'm definitely looking into them, for the price if they can help out you can't beat it. I've just heard that numbness from boots being too tight is a no go.
Not sure that it definitely would. I found the shreds to have a slightly smaller toe area than the stock maysis insoles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure that it definitely would. I found the shreds to have a slightly smaller toe area than the stock maysis insoles.
I appreciate all the feedback. I went ahead and picked up a pair of shredsoles. I'm hoping they pull my toes back a bit, I should have them Thursday. The more I think about it the more confused I get. My mondopoint size is around 270, which would put me in a 9.5 boot. My boots are 9.5s, but my toes are still pushed up to the liner.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. I went ahead and picked up a pair of shredsoles. I'm hoping they pull my toes back a bit, I should have them Thursday. The more I think about it the more confused I get. My mondopoint size is around 270, which would put me in a 9.5 boot. My boots are 9.5s, but my toes are still pushed up to the liner.
Hi Blake,

270 would be size 9. We should start by getting a very accurate barefoot width and length measurement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Blake,

270 would be size 9. We should start by getting a very accurate barefoot width and length measurement.
Here we go, had to grab these real quickly this morning. According to these measurements my boots are a half size too large, but to my feet this certainly doesn't seem the case. I usually wear light cushion socks, last night I tried them with a pair of dress socks which seemed to make worlds of difference. Any super thin sock recommendations?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Here we go, had to grab these real quickly this morning. According to these measurements my boots are a half size too large, but to my feet this certainly doesn't seem the case. I usually wear light cushion socks, last night I tried them with a pair of dress socks which seemed to make worlds of difference. Any super thin sock recommendations?
Hi Blake,

From your length image the foot pictured appears to be under 26.5 (Mondo 265) which is size 8.5 in snowboard boots.

Please measure both feet (length and width) and for width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral side (outside) of your foot. Please measure in cm (or mm) if possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Blake,

From your length image the foot pictured appears to be under 26.5 (Mondo 265) which is size 8.5 in snowboard boots.

Please measure both feet (length and width) and for width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral side (outside) of your foot. Please measure in cm (or mm) if possible.
Wiredsport I took my measurements again, and you seem to be correct, I'm just under 26.5 cm in lenagth, and 9.5cm in width. As I stated before I only get to ride about 3-5 days a year, and I can't fathom putting on a pair of 8.5s. What would your recommendation be??
If I am doomed to need a smaller boot, I'd prefer to order them (I know) so I can get them fairly broken in before my trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To add a little more information to this. I tried my 9.5s on again today. I have no discomfort or numbness, and I don't experience any heel lift either. This just further makes me wonder if there is something going on here causing these boots to be a decent, albeit not "normal" fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Blake,

Please post up the pictures of your width measurements taken as described above. I want to confirm that before we go further.
Here we go.

Right foot: 26.5 cm
9.5cm
Left foot: 26.3-4 cm
9 cm

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Blake,

Your feet are overlapping the molding which will give an incorrect measurement. Please repeat on a vertical wall with no molding.

Also, if your feet are widest at the toes please measure there.
Here?s some shots up against a flat wall. My right foot is the larger of the two. Thanks for all of the pro help!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Blake,

You are a 265 Mondo (size 8.5) at a "normal" D width. For reference, have your boots been heat molded? Please upload a photo of the sizing tag inside the boot/liner.
They have been heat molded. They also seem to have opened up as my toes are no longer numb or in pain. I can?t imagine riding comfortably in 8.5s. At least not until they?ve opened up a serious amount, which I don?t ride enough to do it seems. Unless my discomfort was merely from overtightening, I could have sworn that smaller sizes felt far too short.

Do you know if the maysis is a ?D? width boot?

My current shells and liners are 9.5US. I will update with a photo this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts