Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm halfway through my first day on this board so all I have are initial impressions.

On groomers this board rides so much shorter than its 165 length. And it's obvious that it would; you could easily turn it into a 149 by making it a swallow tail and blunting the nose out like a regular board. I'm 200lbs and feel like I'm riding a short/fat board. It's extremely nimble for me and has none of the stability I'd expect for a 165 on groomers.

The taper and extreme shape makes it weird to ride switch but it's not impossible. But this is not a freestyle board by any means.

I think this might be an ideal powder board for me. I don't think I'd have any trouble managing it through trees and moguls, and it's got that taper and ridiculously large nose that would still float a 200lb man with a backpack on.

I could easily see how @Nivek loves carving this board, but at my size I want a longer effective edge and some more width out of the tail.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you consider a long effective edge?
My daily driver is a Rome Mod 159 with a 1250mm effective edge. Aside from that it's stiff and traditional camber so I'm used to really digging in with the nose and tail. If I'm riding bigger terrain I ride a 162 Mod which has a 1280mm edge.

The Overboard has a 1217mm effective edge despite being a 165. It's also got a rockered nose and tail that don't dig in nearly as hard as my other boards, so the length is really deceiving. Maybe it was just because this was my first day back and the conditions weren't great, but the Overboard didn't feel very locked in to me. Most of the volume of the board does not contact the snow in hard conditions.

But in better conditions or as a powder/tree board for a big guy, this might be perfect. I had a great time on it making tight little turns in crappy crowded conditions. It was nimble through moguls. It rides like a 150-ish board that someone stretched the nose and tail on so that it would float me in powder.

If it floats anything like the Spring Break Treehunter 161 I have, there will be no reason for me to keep the Treehunter. And that's ultimately what I'm going for with this board; an excellent pow board that I can ride through trees and still have fun on groomers.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My initial impressions of this board are invalid. I misread the reference stance width and was riding a 21" width instead of my normal 23".

The board rode a lot better than my first impressions. Updated review follows.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I rode this board a few more times over the last season, and let's sum up the experiences:

In deep powder the Overboard was a lot of fun and floats a 200lb guy with ease. It turns really easily, and jamming weight down on the pin tail lets you launch out of powder with hardly any effort. Ollies in general are fun on this board because despite the taper and setback the tail is pretty long. It's very sensitive to steering as the wide nose digs in hard. A few times I put a bit too much effort steering this through powder at speed and made some unintentionally tight 90 degree turns.

It took me a few tries to dial in the setup of this board on groomers and it's really sensitive to changes in stance width and angles. First, you can really feel the wide nose and narrow tail. Initiating the turns means overcoming the width of the nose to get it on edge which is more difficult at slow speeds, but once on edge it's no big deal and once you're going fast you need very little input to engage the front edges. For me this board needed double positive binding angles and a wider stance to get the most out of it. I normally ride a 23" +15/-12 duck stance, and initially rode this with 22" +21/+6 by shifting the back binding back one set of holes from the reference stance. Close, but didn't feel like I had enough leverage on the nose, and too much weight on the narrow tail. Shifting the front binding forward so that I had 23" +21/+6 centered my weight over the board more and felt good.

It's great in powder and for a powder-specific board also handles groomers very well. But it does seem to be very sensitive to conditions and when conditions are tracked out or icy I'd much rather be on something else. I think if I weighed about 30 lbs less and had smaller feet so that this was a "big boy" board for me I'd enjoy it more on groomers, but as it is I feel like I have to be careful with my weight placement on this when carving or else the tail can let go, particularly in bumpy conditions. This board rides much shorter than a typical 165cm board. I'm pretty sure if I spent some more time on this I'd love it for directional carving, but I already own boards that I love for carving that can also ride switch I'm not sure I'll put that much more time into this one.

All in all, if you want an excellent inexpensive powder board that also doesn't suck on groomers, or you only ever ride in one direction and want something very directional and very different, here you go. I think for most people this is a quiver board, but if you're a rider willing to invest time in learning how to carve on something with an atypical shape it could be something you'd ride a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for adding this much detail on this board. I've been considering it for a while, and it's good to know since you're riding similar PNW conditions

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ugh I’m done buying shit, stop it!

thanks for the review, there’s not much out there on this deck and...I’m curious about it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This board definitely fucks, so good at carving, great at fresh powder lines, not my first choice for chunder but I've got other boards for that, did not get it on a wide open powder bowl this year, but got a feeling thats where this thing is best

Snapshot_0228 31_30(2).jpg Snapshot_0308 50_05(2).jpg Snapshot_0228 31_30(1).jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
I’m into some 360 camera for the next season. Any cons? Seems to be cheaper than the newest Gopro Max. Particularly curious about the lens protection/durability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts