Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After doing some research on various sites including this one, I originally narrowed down my choice to the K2 Raygun. It seems like a decent board for at the intermediate level and okay once I become more advanced (only starting to head to blacks now). I'm tempted, however, to splurge for the Libtech TRS, which is definitely at a different price point.

I want something that will remain useful for at least 2 seasons. Do you think that splurging for the TRS is worth it at this point given my skill level? Also, would a 151 board be suitable? Thanks!

Weight: 130
Boot size: 7
Riding style: Carving, freeride
My location: East coast (VT, NY, PA)

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Dont buy the hype. Raygun is cheap and will do everything you need. Get last year's raygun on sale, upgrade in two years. If you want magnetraction, get a Rossi with MagTek.

·
Registered
6 Posts
K2, Libtech or Rossi ?

Dont buy the hype. Raygun is cheap and will do everything you need. Get last year's raygun on sale, upgrade in two years. If you want magnetraction, get a Rossi with MagTek.
jtg, Nice to see a rossi board in your comment...Maybe you can help me with another question about the rossi.

I was comparing the K2 Raygun not vs the Libtech, but vs the Rossi Angus Amptek. They seemed to have some similarities....

But I noticed that the 2013 version did have magtek but no longer the magne traction. 2012 was the last version/model with magne traction.

Do you know anything about that ? Would you even without the magne traction still recommend a Rossi above the Raygun for ice/bad conditions? Or is there not much of a difference...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spura, you're right, magtek is a bit like the magne traction...

But the angus hasn't got traction or magtek, so that's a bit strange...

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
The Angus has AmpTek, not MagTek. AmpTek is Rossi's specific board profile with 40% (I think) camber in the middle and 60% rocker in the tips. MagTek = Magnetraction + AmpTek.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and ordered the 153 Raygun. Thanks for the advice! Now I'm impatiently waiting for the season to finally start...

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
^Yeah. And it's literally Magnetraction, not a copy. They have a license to use Lib Tech's patent and name. They even call it magnetraction. It's only on boards that say Magtek, and some have varying numbers/sizes on the contact points (libtech does that too).

Anyway, back to the original question. I bought my TRS last year and was about the same ability level based on your description. There's no way it was worth it. In fact I had an easier time progressing on blacks with a less aggressive board.

I mentioned Rossi because some people think they need magnetraction (I prefer it myself), and mervin boards are quite a bit more expensive, so it's another way to get it. Smokin is another option but they are a bit more expensive (but not as much as libtech). If you want it, you can get it on a Rossi board. I'm not saying Rossi are just as good as Lib Tech in general (honestly I'm not qualified to judge at all) but based on my own experience, you aren't going to feel the difference at your riding level for spending an extra $300 or so, AND you'll get a shittier (extruded) base on the TRS.

I'm not an expert at all and have only ridden a handful of boards, and others can give much better info about your board options, but I'm just throwing out there as someone who just did what you are asking about, I personally feel like my splurging on a TRS was a waste.

I've never ridden a raygun but I've heard nothing but good things, and the 2013 is only $208. Right now for rossignol there are two Magtek boards for under $200 (templar and jibsaw), and they both have sintered bases. So if you like the raygun, I don't think you'll regret dropping $200, and you can get a better board in 2 years when you'll actually be able to benefit from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts