Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my next board might be the Simple Pleasures. It looks like it checks all the boxes:

Camber
Directional
Good float in Pow
Able to handle hard carves, slashing, and soft skidded turns
Stable at speed and in uneven terrain

It is only offered in 151 or 156. The 151 is rated from 110-190+ pounds and the 156 is 140-230+ pounds.

I am 6'0", 175 pounds (prob 185 with boots and gear), size 9.5 boots.

I get going short as it's volume shifted, but I would be close to the max on the 151. Stability, especially at speed, would probably be better on the 156. Would going 156 negatively effect turning, slashing?

Can anyone with experience on this board give a recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with the Simple Pleasures, but I'd like to. That said, most of your boxes favor a larger board. You aren't really talking about riding tight trees all the time, so I don't think you'll really miss the agility of the 151.

I've had a 144 Cool Bean, and I'd get the 150 if I got another one. At 225#, I was surprised the 144 worked for me as well as it did. It slayed in tight trees, and held a pretty good edge on hardpack. Volume shifted boards are pretty fun. I think the 150 would float me better and be more stable though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any direct experience with the Simple Pleasures, but I'd like to. That said, most of your boxes favor a larger board. You aren't really talking about riding tight trees all the time, so I don't think you'll really miss the agility of the 151.

I've had a 144 Cool Bean, and I'd get the 150 if I got another one. At 225#, I was surprised the 144 worked for me as well as it did. It slayed in tight trees, and held a pretty good edge on hardpack. Volume shifted boards are pretty fun. I think the 150 would float me better and be more stable though.
That's a reasonable way to look at it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
FWIW at one point in time the sizing was:

151 for Wt <150 lbs
156 for Wt > 150 lbs

I only had a short time on the 156 at the end of last year's abbreviated season, but at 165 lbs I didn't have any issue with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW at one point in time the sizing was:

151 for Wt <150 lbs
156 for Wt > 150 lbs

I only had a short time on the 156 at the end of last year's abbreviated season, but at 165 lbs I didn't have any issue with it.
That makes it easy. I wonder what changed, because my understanding is nothing has changed with the board except graphics over the years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@WigMar @zc1

Which bindings would you recommend for this board? I currently ride 2015 or 2016 Cartels with the old straps (not hammock). Should I stick with what I have, go with the new stiffer Cartels or something else? I'm partial to Burton bindings because I qualify for a pretty solid discount.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@WigMar @zc1

Which bindings would you recommend for this board? I currently ride 2015 or 2016 Cartels with the old straps (not hammock). Should I stick with what I have, go with the new stiffer Cartels or something else? I'm partial to Burton bindings because I qualify for a pretty solid discount.
The Cartel X. Same price as the Cartel of last year and the price of the regular Cartel went down by nearly 10%. For the difference, if you like them stiff, it's a no brainer.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I will check those out. They're new, so not really any reviews out yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd probably run K2 Lien At bindings on a Simple Pleasures. I think they were designed together. Their styles certainly match. I like how versatile their tripod frame is. If you like getting surfy, it doesn't get much better than Liens with the softer red bushings. If you're getting technical and need a more traditional response, throw the heelblocks in there. I'm a big fan of the feel of that tripod frame, and I run Liens or Lineups on most of my boards. It's definitely a different feeling. I could see other people hating it.

Burton makes legit bindings. Bindings are an area of personal preference anyway.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Get the 156 it will work fine, I daily drove one last year at 160lbs, im a very aggressive rider. I ran Malavitas on it for mellower days, Now Drives when I knew i had to keep up with some fast riders.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the 156 it will work fine, I daily drove one last year at 160lbs, im a very aggressive rider. I ran Malavitas on it for mellower days, Now Drives when I knew i had to keep up with some fast riders.
That is great to hear because the 156 arrived at my house today. I might just stick with my older Cartels since they fall somewhere between your Vitas and the Drives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts