Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this board so much I wanted to make a review, I have borrowed Angry's template to try and keep my thoughts on point.

Board: K2 SImple Pleasures
Size: 151
Camber Option: Directional Camber Baseline™. Basically traditional camber, a decent amount too with plenty of rocker into the long nose.
Bindings: Now Pilot, Burton Genesis Reflex
Stance: 545mm (21.45") 21, -6
Boots: Vans Implant US9
My Weight/Height: 85kg (187lbs), 170cm (5'7")
Resort: Perisher (Australia), Hakuba Valley and Myoko (Japan)
Conditions: Spring slush, firm groomers, fresh deep Japow, pretty much everything!
Flex: This board is pretty stiff but slightly softer in the nose. Not a lot of torsional flex either.
Stability: The stiffness in this board inspires confidence through variable snow, you can hold plenty of speed and not feel unstable despite the short length, the extra width also helps with this.
Ollies: The tail is short and stiff so not so good for ollies.
Pop On Jumps: Again the short tail makes this more difficult than a traditional twin shape board but if you get the timing right you can certainly boost some air.
Butterability: Nose butters in fresh pow all day, lots of fun! the tail is too short and stiff for anything more than a short wheelie.
Carving: This is where the Simple Pleasures really shines! it loves being on edge and has a very locked in and predictable feeling, you can drive it very hard, the extra width will let you lean it all the way over. The sidecut radius is small at 7.4m for the 151 so really long drawn out carves are less suitable than the tighter trench digging circle carves. Despite the extra width on this board it is reasonably nimble edge to edge.
Rider in Mind: Someone who loves to carve and ride powder
Personal Thoughts: For a short and fat volume shift this is a very versatile board, people with no interest in freestyle could even use it as a daily driver. Of the eight boards I own I find myself reaching for this the most no matter what the snow conditions are. It can be a lot of fun on groomers if carving is your thing and it also makes a great powder board with plenty of float despite its shorter length, even in deep low angle Japow. The base is also very fast and comes with a textured finish that holds a lot of speed in spring slush.

·
525 Posts
Nice write up, I think K2 really hit a winner with the SP, PP and CB series as I haven't heard a bad thing about any of these boards.

I’m really looking forward to seeing a review of the new Alchemist board, looks a serious bit of kit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nice review and totally agree! I used the 156 as my daily last winter and it was amazing. Too bad warpig and orca stole all the hype the last couple of years because i think this board is better than both of em FIGHT ME
Look at the SP just crush low angle powder at Breck, I started the run with friends but they are far far behind me because they ride lame ass twins in powder
and of course it carves with the best of em

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
Nice write up, I think K2 really hit a winner with the SP, PP and CB series as I haven't heard a bad thing about any of these boards.

I’m really looking forward to seeing a review of the new Alchemist board, looks a serious bit of kit.
Go check out The Good Rides review of the Cool Bean it's comedic at best.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice review and totally agree! I used the 156 as my daily last winter and it was amazing. Too bad warpig and orca stole all the hype the last couple of years because i think this board is better than both of em FIGHT ME
Look at the SP just crush low angle powder at Breck, I started the run with friends but they are far far behind me because they ride lame ass twins in powder
and of course it carves with the best of em
Are you my long lost twin? You whoop like a kid @ face shots, just like I do!

And can you gentlemanly bastards stop? Perhaps in part due to the graphics, but two boards that I'm MAHOOSIVELY attracted to from the Twelve Board Store lineup this year, are the Simple Pleasures + Party Platter.

Fcking Covid.... if I wasn't thinking I need to stash as much savings as I can, and if Falls was open, I'd have allowed myself a moment of weakness, and got one of 'em by now.

JDA: can you still kick it / go lazy party slashing on the SP, should the mood take you?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It's the 156 the biggest one they make?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yes only 2 sizes 151 and 156, I really should be on a 151 but I got the 156 for the waist width (27cm) the 151 has a 26cm waist.
If youre worried it wont be enough board for you, can always look at the K2 Overboard, only comes in 165, has similar riding traits to the SP, but obviously not as playful, more of an open terrain rider

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes only 2 sizes 151 and 156, I really should be on a 151 but I got the 156 for the waist width (27cm) the 151 has a 26cm waist.
Sad, I think I would need bigger than a 156. Well at least it saved me some money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you find this board lacking in powder in anyway?
The float was very good for the length and I am only just within the weight range for the 151, I could totally ride the 156 but it was sold out at the time and I like short boards for tree riding. The deepest day I rode it was in Japan and it was an overnight dump with snow above my knees in places, I don't think you could sink this board, I certainly couldn't.

It is the kind of powder board where you are sitting in the back seat a little but not too much as there is some tail there and a very minimal amount of cut out in the tail. Riding position feels pretty spot on so you don't need to put extra weight on your back leg to float, just enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone ridden the Niseko Pleasures yet? BA maybe??
Would there be much overlap between a Nidecker Area and a Simple or Niseko pleasures?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The float was very good for the length and I am only just within the weight range for the 151, I could totally ride the 156 but it was sold out at the time and I like short boards for tree riding. The deepest day I rode it was in Japan and it was an overnight dump with snow above my knees in places, I don't think you could sink this board, I certainly couldn't.

It is the kind of powder board where you are sitting in the back seat a little but not too much as there is some tail there and a very minimal amount of cut out in the tail. Riding position feels pretty spot on so you don't need to put extra weight on your back leg to float, just enjoy the ride!
What are your measurements?

I am 6'0", 175 pounds without gear (probably 185 pounds with boots + everything else), size 9.5 boots. The 151 is rated at a maximum of "190+". Based on your experience, should I go 151 or 156?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts