Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowed down getting a new board to these two (as I can get them both cheap) and wanted peoples opinions please.

Im 5'10'', 220 lbs, 11us boot.
Previous boards Imperium DJVI 156 and NS Proto CT 157 and I currently own a Burton Nug.

I only get to ride twice a year mainly in France. The nug covers my small, nimble dicking around board so I wanted something else that was big, hard, good for carving and especially fast.

Ill be doing mainly groomers, ice and afternoon slush with a small amount of pow and small amount of freestyle on the mountain. I hardly ever touch the park and Id probably use the nug for it if I did.

So from what I have learnt so far both these boards are very quick, stable and hold edge well. The TFA seems to be better freestyle wise but the Slayblade might be faster and better for long hard carves?

Unfortunately I cannot demo either of these boards at this time so any insight greatly appreciated.

ten

·
Registered
751 Posts
both are super stiff boards. why did you narrow it down to those two?
I say stick with your nug for your two days. It's more than just a dick around board

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its actually two trips, not two days :) So maybe 10-20 days a year I get away.

I narrowed it down to those two boards because of price and I wanted something all mountain that was very quick and decent for carving...and maybe a bit more fun than the ns proto I used to ride.

The nug is a great little board and tons of fun but Id also like a full length board I can use for charging all the mountain hard and fast.

cheers,

ten

·
Registered
751 Posts
ok, I guess I vote for the slayblade then...but I'm not a fan of K2's flatline.
Are K2's a good price where you are?
How about a Nitro Pantera? I picked up a 2008 used and it's pretty fun, but really stiff.

I had a tfa and hated it. It felt stiffer than a custom x, and door-ish

·
Registered
745 Posts
Slayblade is freaking stiff, not just hard to press and tortionally stiff, but snap back stiffness. It's a real aggressive stick. You can muck about in it alright but stiff & flat make for a dead ride when not pushing it.... at higher speeds more dynamic riding is where she shines just like you'd expect a stiff board to do, flat profile holds an edge well enough while giving you some playroom. I got the 164 at 85kg if I could do it over again I'd buy the same board @ 158... If your constantly pushing it hitting higher speeds I'd stick with your recomended size, if your more cruising it looking for a natural feature to hit I'd downsize a few cm for a bit more flex.

I like the flat profile, it's not for everyone as you can see

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Its actually two trips, not two days :) So maybe 10-20 days a year I get away.

I narrowed it down to those two boards because of price and I wanted something all mountain that was very quick and decent for carving...and maybe a bit more fun than the ns proto I used to ride.

The nug is a great little board and tons of fun but Id also like a full length board I can use for charging all the mountain hard and fast.

cheers,

ten
you should define what you mean by "fun". I think both boards would be stiffer then the proto and would typically thought of as less fun when describing boards. However you may have a different definition of the word than the way most ppl on this board would use it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea you're right....

The proto was a great board. It did everything well but didn't excell (for me anyway) at anything. So much so it was a bit of a boring safe ride.

So by fun im looking for something that will put a smile on my face by charging down the mountain as fast as possible over whatever terrain and hold deep hard carves. But id also like to do a few jumps etc along the way.

Also some feedback from anyone thats used either of the boards I mention, how they ride, handle, any issues etc would be appreciated.

ten

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea you're right....

The proto was a great board. It did everything well but didn't excell (for me anyway) at anything. So much so it was a bit of a boring safe ride.

So by fun im looking for something that will put a smile on my face by charging down the mountain as fast as possible over whatever terrain and hold deep hard carves. But id also like to do a few jumps etc along the way.

Also some feedback from anyone thats used either of the boards I mention, how they ride, handle, any issues etc would be appreciated.

ten
I've rode last years Slayblade.

It wasn't mine and it was a 158, my optimal length would of been a 156.

What I liked.
Fast base and Flatline (zero camber) with the stiffer flex and harshmellow dampening made "flatbasing" when pointing it down the hill feel super stable. No twitching, comfortable over lumps and bumps. You can get super lazy and you'll put it into a turn from the fear of speed before you feel like you're being bucked off.

This snowboard would be ideal for days just spent hooning about the piste at mach 10, if you've got speed freak skiers or riders you cant keep up with.

What I don't like, although the progressive sidecut is good, I still do not like the feel of zero camber through a turn on piste. It feels like a plank.

I also feel that this translates in deeper snow, It feels like a big old steam boat that turns like the Titanic. (I also feel this way about a Turbo Dream 156 too)

It planes through the snow fine enough and I'm sure that this years (or last years) introduction of tweakends may have made improvements.

Hope this is of use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts