Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between the K2 turbo 2013 vs 2014 other than the graphic?

I've tried to look up any info but they look to be made almost the same. I had a good look in person at the 2014 version on the weekend but they didnt have the 2013 in stock anymore to compare.

Yes Ive looked at the catalogs as well.

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For the little more all round board?

Less pure pow pow and more all mountain?

I am looking for a board that I can use more than just my trip to Japan... NZ will be the next port of call so I don't want to get stuck with a one trip board.

Unless you think Ultra is still king? Or something else a little less pure pow?

I looked at the Turbo on the weekend and I also saw the new PYL and it's clear to me that the PYL has one thing in mind (powder) and wouldn't be the board I am looking for.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
It has the new carbon web in the tip. Didn't really feel all that different in the Ultra. Can't imagine it'd change much in the Turbo either.

That's all I can think of that's different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nivek,

I haven't been able to see the older models in person but as I said saw the '14 version of the turbo up close.

You have an opinion on Turbo vs Ultra as per my requirements above?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Why are you choosing the turbo dream over the ultra dream?
What kind of an answer is that?:icon_scratch:

He wants to know of any differences between the model years of one board.
You ask why he's choosing that board instead of another?:dunno:

Let me try:
Why are you choosing the turbo dream over...
Burton Fish
Salomon Villain
NS Proto
Endeavor BOD
Lib Tech TRS
Signal Omni
Flow Era
Yes The Greats
Forum Destroyer Doubledog
Capita Stairmaster?

And on and on...

Weird answer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Cuz it's fuckin jeopardy dude. You have to phrase your answer in the form of a question.
(I notice you started your post with a question - nice one!)

Anyways, read the op's other thread on a board for Japan to understand, young grasshopper.

I wouldn't say the ultra is a pow board though. I still vote for the ultra.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't want to start the next board wars was just trying to get a little more specific information.

Basically yes Japan board for hakuba plus a board that I can use in not so optimal conditions we get in the southern hemisphere.

To throw something else out there.. What about a ride berzerker or highlife or am I basically comparing the same type of boards as the k2's just made by a different company?

Btw thx Supra you actually have even been super helpful :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Actually adding those two Ride boards to your decision is a wise move imo. I just had a quick look at the 2014 catalogues and seriously, what is the difference between the ultra and turbo dream? looks like the ultra has the 'bc shaping' with a blunter nose.
The ride boards will offer you a rockered nose and a bit of camber, while the K2's are flat underfoot. I have ridden the ultra dream and the panoramic split (which has allterrain rocker too) and I find I prefer camber underfoot for that lively feel. The K2's feel deadish...but they carve fine and float well.
I have never ridden the Ride's so someone else will have to comment.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Thanks Nivek,

I haven't been able to see the older models in person but as I said saw the '14 version of the turbo up close.

You have an opinion on Turbo vs Ultra as per my requirements above?
The Turbo is an all mountain board that does really well in powder. The Ultra is a pow board that does really well all mountain. Pick what's more important.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a berzerker for pretty much the riding you are describing. Haven't ridden it yet as this year's trip fell through but am hoping to get to Hakuba early next year if everyone doesn't bail on me again.

Here is the thread I posted about it when I was trying to work out what to get. There are a whole bunch of posts about some of the possible options:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48788-new-board-advice-quiver-1-2-a.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the link - much appreciated.

I am really now starting to learn towards the Berzerker especially when I can find it online for $270 - makes it very hard to walk past.

I think its either Turbo Dream or Berzerker.....

Decisions Decisions!

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry for bringing up this old thread but can someone tell me how much stiffer is the slayblade than the turbo dream?

i have an 150 cm NS evo (weigh 155 lbs) and realized this season i need more of an all mountain board after going to Jay Peak and experiencing a bigger mountain and real powder for the first time..

also is the turbo dream much better in pow than the slayblade? I only ride in the east so groomers are more of a priority but i still want something that will float.

·
Registered
718 Posts
sorry for bringing up this old thread but can someone tell me how much stiffer is the slayblade than the turbo dream?

i have an 150 cm NS evo (weigh 155 lbs) and realized this season i need more of an all mountain board after going to Jay Peak and experiencing a bigger mountain and real powder for the first time..

also is the turbo dream much better in pow than the slayblade? I only ride in the east so groomers are more of a priority but i still want something that will float.
slayblade is significantly stiffer and it's float abilities are worse. I was in doubts between turbo and slayblade, but bought salomon the mans board and 95% satisfied. Would be 100% satisfied with salomon sabotage or assasin or villain, which are more versatile, than the mans board, which isnt as fun in the park. Slayblade is even more one trick pony than the mans board. Turbo is not so much to my taste, because flat section between the bindings, instead of camber, and it dings very easily, would be very hard to maintain it in good cosmetic shape

·
Registered
56 Posts
slayblade is significantly stiffer and it's float abilities are worse. I was in doubts between turbo and slayblade, but bought salomon the mans board and 95% satisfied. Would be 100% satisfied with salomon sabotage or assasin or villain, which are more versatile, than the mans board, which isnt as fun in the park. Slayblade is even more one trick pony than the mans board. Turbo is not so much to my taste, because flat section between the bindings, instead of camber, and it dings very easily, would be very hard to maintain it in good cosmetic shape
good advice appreciate it..

i was looking at the villain before i bought the evo and regret not getting it, although, im not sure it would even be that much better for me.
Ive heard great things about the assassin but dispise the graphic so i may just wait and get next years

·
Registered
718 Posts
good advice appreciate it..

i was looking at the villain before i bought the evo and regret not getting it, although, im not sure it would even be that much better for me.
Ive heard great things about the assassin but dispise the graphic so i may just wait and get next years
look at sabotage. Good flex, decend edge hold, pops a lot, base is good and fast. Keep it waxed and will be able to keep up with the fastest, set the stance back and will be ready for japan (saw some pros on sabotage in epic backcountry pow pow videos), very lively and fun board, and its pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
From Salomon you want a Time Machine. Man's board for the masses. The Villain, Sabotage, and Assassin are all just too close to warrant owning two. And then they're all too close to your Evo to get what you're looking to get out of it. They're also all true twins, which is pointless in an all mountain board for 95% of people as you probably aren't spinning switch 9's.

So, what I'd look at: Salomon Time Macine, Flow Drifter, Burton Process FV, Yes Basic, or a DC Mega.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From Salomon you want a Time Machine. Man's board for the masses. The Villain, Sabotage, and Assassin are all just too close to warrant owning two. And then they're all too close to your Evo to get what you're looking to get out of it. They're also all true twins, which is pointless in an all mountain board for 95% of people as you probably aren't spinning switch 9's.

So, what I'd look at: Salomon Time Macine, Flow Drifter, Burton Process FV, Yes Basic, or a DC Mega.
actually was checking the time machine and the basic out yesterday.. thanks for confirming.

Also to clear things up because ive always heard mixed things, how is burtons FV in east coast conditions?

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I mean I haven't actually ridden it in east coast conditions, but with the conditions I rode it in this year I can only assume anyone complaining about it's grip can't ride the board the right way and doesn't have the edge control to do it. If you do, thing digs trenches in bullet proof groomers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts