Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 20/21 156 K2 Niseko Pleasures for a really good price. I'm trying to decide which All-Mountain binding to pair with it. I have size 9 Burton Tourist boots (also my splitboard boot). I also have two sets of Burton Genesis bindings on existing boards that I'm planning to sell next season. My biggest complaint about the Genesis is that I can't keep the damn toe straps in place. I like flowy-style riding, carving groomers, treed powder runs.

Katanas ($380): Highly regarded all mountain binding. Tons of adjustability (although I prefer simplicity). My size 9 fits RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the size range for a medium binding. Nivek's top AM binding choice. Downside: More pricey.

Lien AT's ($270): I like the idea of putting a K2 binding on a K2 board. I like the simplicity of this binding. I like the reasonable price. A loose, skate-like feel, according to Nivek. Biggest DOWNSIDES: My size 9 falls in between a Medium and Large binding size -- one binding MIGHT be on the small side, while the other might be on the large side. Also, I believe these are MINI-discs, which I read a few negative things about.

I don't think I can go wrong with either one. What am I missing? Help me decide.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You covered the differences so you gotta decide for yourself. 110 bucks is no chump change, imo. But on the other hand, this may be the last chance you can get Katanas with the D3O baseplate, if that means much to you.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I love my Liens. I like how you can dial in the flex and response with the heel block and the pods. They let you get more weight fore and aft, so they're really good for carving, buttering and tree riding.

I don't have any Katanas, but I'd like some. Don't think there's a bad choice here.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
You could also go Vice which is pretty much 95% Katana for a much lower price.

Both bindings you mentioned are mini-disc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have owned both and have US9.5 boots. I had the Lien in a large and it was a bit too big so I ended up cranking the straps too tight so it wasn't comfortable. Katana in medium was a perfect fit and is not as laterally tweakable as the Lien but more responsive otherwise. I think the mini disc on the Lien is part of what makes it so 'surfy' so I wouldn't worry about that. Katana also has a mini disc but its just large enough that you can mount 4x4 as well as 2x4.
I did do one air off a cat track into pow with the Liens where I nose boned it and could feel my back foot roll out towards the tail like l was on a skateboard. I've never felt that before or since and I remember that one air so clearly to this day because it felt so amazing. If you want a special feeling of movement on top of the board then go for the Liens, if you want a regular binding then Katanas are one of the best.

·
Read Only
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have owned both and have US9.5 boots. I had the Lien in a large and it was a bit too big so I ended up cranking the straps too tight so it wasn't comfortable. Katana in medium was a perfect fit and is not as laterally tweakable as the Lien but more responsive otherwise. I think the mini disc on the Lien is part of what makes it so 'surfy' so I wouldn't worry about that. Katana also has a mini disc but its just large enough that you can mount 4x4 as well as 2x4.

If you want a special feeling of movement on top of the board then go for the Liens, if you want a regular binding then Katanas are one of the best.
Again, good beta. Thanks!

Do you think you could have used the MEDIUM Lien AT, which fits size 5-9 US, with your 9.5 boots?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Again, good beta. Thanks!

Do you think you could have used the MEDIUM Lien AT, which fits size 5-9 US, with your 9.5 boots?
I’m not sure, I didn’t have the chance to try the medium. If you can buy with the possibility of returning then maybe give it a go. It’s always been a problem for me with bindings that don’t have an adjustable heelcup. I think of bindings a bit the same as boots, the fit is the most important thing. Other considerations like flex and features are secondary to whether I can get my boot centred on the board and have the straps hit in the right place.

·
Read Only
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your input. Decison made, AND 20% off!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Get the Vice. They’re a little less aggressive than the Katana but excellent in their own regard. Hard to beat for the money. I have both the Katana and Vice. The Vice is excellent but the Katana is just a little more of everything, and for me, better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts