Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I am taking the bindings off of my board I have been riding this season (2010 Signal Omni), and low and behold, under my binding is a giant ass break. Not a crack, but a full on, almost clean through break. Normally, I would be thinking warranty, but I didn't buy this board, I won it. I've shot an e-mail off to Signal in hopes that might take pity on me, though I am not expecting them to by any means. Thankfully, I have another stick to ride, but I love my Signal. It's just a fun board to ride. Anyways, I'm really just venting here. I'll post a picture of it tonight when I get home from work so you guys can see it as well. My biggest question through all of this though is, How long I have been riding with a giant ass break in my board? :dunno:

·
Registered
305 Posts
So today I am taking the bindings off of my board I have been riding this season (2010 Signal Omni), and low and behold, under my binding is a giant ass break. Not a crack, but a full on, almost clean through break. Normally, I would be thinking warranty, but I didn't buy this board, I won it. I've shot an e-mail off to Signal in hopes that might take pity on me, though I am not expecting them to by any means. Thankfully, I have another stick to ride, but I love my Signal. It's just a fun board to ride. Anyways, I'm really just venting here. I'll post a picture of it tonight when I get home from work so you guys can see it as well. My biggest question through all of this though is, How long I have been riding with a giant ass break in my board? :dunno:
Should matter if you won it, bought it or beat someone over the head to snatch it, it's yours and they have a pretty darn good idea about the oldest the board can be. Fast forward today, and does that day exceed the warranty period? Call them and ask. Wouldn't be surprised if you get it covered. if they dont. 1. dont buy from that company again and 2. tell them you are going to seek out others with a similar issue and push to have a recall forced on them if they dont replace it. They will most likely just laugh at you, but if you reach someone high up enough, that will make them cringe. Be sure to give them the link to your you tube video and your blog showing the defect of their products and why people shouldnt buy from them. Always end with "in my opinion" to avoid litigation and you are well on your way to strong arming a company.

Probably won't work, but hey it surely worked in the United States whereas banks were forced to provide loans to people that could never ever afford to pay for....

ok stepping off my soapbox, got to excuse me, I just got done working on my taxes ...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Should matter if you won it, bought it or beat someone over the head to snatch it, it's yours and they have a pretty darn good idea about the oldest the board can be. Fast forward today, and does that day exceed the warranty period? Call them and ask. Wouldn't be surprised if you get it covered. if they dont. 1. dont buy from that company again and 2. tell them you are going to seek out others with a similar issue and push to have a recall forced on them if they dont replace it. They will most likely just laugh at you, but if you reach someone high up enough, that will make them cringe. Be sure to give them the link to your you tube video and your blog showing the defect of their products and why people shouldnt buy from them. Always end with "in my opinion" to avoid litigation and you are well on your way to strong arming a company.

Probably won't work, but hey it surely worked in the United States whereas banks were forced to provide loans to people that could never ever afford to pay for....

ok stepping off my soapbox, got to excuse me, I just got done working on my taxes ...
So your advice is to be a whiny immature bitch to get your way?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BA, I hope you're right and they do warranty it. I sent them a very polite e-mail for the purpose of inquiring about my options. As I said, I don't actually expect them to do anything, but if they do, I'm sure not going to complain. I still can't believe that I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with it until I un-mounted the binding. As I said, I'll have a picture to put up in a few hours when I get home from work. On a side note, it should be interesting ripping my traditional camber Nitro tomorrow on the fresh groomed corduroy at Crystal. I've been riding my "Wavelength" Signal Omni all season.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Had a great experience with Signal warranty in the past, almost pretty sure they will warranty it without question. If you sent them pictures of the break, they would probably just ask you to mail it to them for a replacement (if they have on in stock).

Oh, and dont listen to that dumbass suggestion 2. tell them you are going to seek out others with a similar issue and push to have a recall forced on them if they dont replace it. They will most likely just laugh at you, but if you reach someone high up enough, that will make them cringe. - what a fucktard...

·
Registered
844 Posts
soooo those monster presses that you have been pulling off lately... I have found the answer haha!

would be cool if they have some pity on you, signal is an awesome company, prob the only one u could call and talk to the owner.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
soooo those monster presses that you have been pulling off lately... I have found the answer haha!
Haha! Monster nose presses I guess, cause it's under my lead foot. Or maybe it was the switch ollies I was working on. Seriously though, this thing still baffles me since it's under the binding.

Here's a couple of pics I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Daughter had won a k2 at sb camp, it delamed...she called and got the run around. I immediately called got a bit of run around but noted it was their top pro park board and should not make any difference won or bought and asked to get the issue kicked up a level...got it resolved. But had to go to the local authorized dealer to have it inspected and then they sent it in and that where the new one got shipped to.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I don't see where a board that was won should be any different then one you bought. Did it come with a warranty card and did you mail it in? I've never warrantied a snowboard but I have sent back a couple wakeboards, even one I bought used(hyperlite rocks) I think you did the right thing sending a polite email and explaining your situation. Good luck man.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
So now after seeing the pic that is exactly how I pictured it'd break. Older Signals like yours have an issue with cracking like that because the sidewall is too steep so it doesn't dissapate the energy like it should. So what happened is your bindings base which has a dead spot flexed right on the part of the board that still has camber and then shot the energy out to the sidewall and cracked it. I'll put money that it'll be warrantied.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Little Update....

So, I recieved an email back from [email protected] that said they would not warranty it because I won it in a contest. They offered to let me buy a 153 Omni for $200 + shipping. Obviously, this is not going to work. I can't ride a 153 at 6'3" and 185lbs, nor do I want to pay $200 to replace something I won. I'm going to try and call them and see if I can get a more reasonable response from them, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm truly surprised that a company of their size will not back up their product just because I won it. Wish me luck in getting something done over the phone.

·
Registered
922 Posts
So, I recieved an email back from [email protected] that said they would not warranty it because I won it in a contest. They offered to let me buy a 153 Omni for $200 + shipping. Obviously, this is not going to work. I can't ride a 153 at 6'3" and 185lbs, nor do I want to pay $200 to replace something I won. I'm going to try and call them and see if I can get a more reasonable response from them, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm truly surprised that a company of their size will not back up their product just because I won it. Wish me luck in getting something done over the phone.
im wondering why you even bothered to mention that you won the board? its none of their business how you came to own their product, just that you do and it failed.
if i won a bmw and the motor failed, i would expect bmw to replace it whether i won the car or not. they're argument is that they don't stand behind their products because you didn't directly pay for it? that's totally fucked.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im wondering why you even bothered to mention that you won the board? its none of their business how you came to own their product, just that you do and it failed.
I thought about leaving that part out, but since I'm trying to get it warrantied, I figured all the questions about where I bought it at would come up eventually, so better to be forthright with them and have it out there already. BA, IMO it shouldn't matter if it's a first, second or even a demo. They made it and should stand behind it. I may be wrong, but it's how I feel.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i dont think you're wrong at all, and i personally would've left that out. working in sales and customer service, i can tell you it's better to make them ask you than to volunteer information..especially in regards to how much you didnt pay for it lol

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I thought about leaving that part out, but since I'm trying to get it warrantied, I figured all the questions about where I bought it at would come up eventually, so better to be forthright with them and have it out there already. BA, IMO it shouldn't matter if it's a first, second or even a demo. They made it and should stand behind it. I may be wrong, but it's how I feel.
Entitlement is amazing. It's a second you won rode for a whole season and somehow didn't notice the big giant crack in it. Yeah it sucks but it's not like the topsheet totally delamed that crack was right under a binding point which means its a stress and fatigue from landing. I can see where the binding was and that's the real culprit. It's not a manufacturing defect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts