Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just wondering if anyone on here has tried all three boards? I’m mainly a resort rider but on those days when there’s a big dump overnight I want a board that can handle the deep pow in the morning and all the tracked up chunder in the afternoon. I never hit the park so those qualities in a board doesn’t matter to me. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have tried the Dart and the Orca and the Archetype sits in my quiver. How important (if at all with that board) is hardpack carving for you?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried the Dart and the Orca and the Archetype sits in my quiver. How important (if at all with that board) is hardpack carving for you?
I would say that hardpack carving isn’t super important but it would be a nice bonus.

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
wow, how is the archetype that much better? Out of the three I thought the Korua would be the one that kept a place in the quiver.
Some people seem to really gel with that board, seems to be a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people seem to really gel with that board, seems to be a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde
can you expand on the jekyll and hyde comment? From what I’ve read about the archetype it seems like it’s a surprisingly great “all rounder” but for whatever reason people seem to say it not phenomenal in powder (although it’s still very good in powder….just maybe not at good as the dart or orca).

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
can you expand on the jekyll and hyde comment? From what I’ve read about the archetype it seems like it’s a surprisingly great “all rounder” but for whatever reason people seem to say it not phenomenal in powder (although it’s still very good in powder….just maybe not at good as the dart or orca).
Just as you say, some say it's great in powder others not so kind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't ridden the archetype but I am pretty interested in it. From its profile, it looks like the type of board that requires a bit of speed for it to float well, as opposed to the wide fatties like the Sushi or Mind Expander that float easily on low-angle, low speed pow. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The archetype is much more interesting to me then the other two , it floats my 240lb magnificently and it’s camber is much more fun then rocker in most situations (sorry orca) I also think full magna takes away from pow deck. The korua was cool too but the tie breaker for me is the carbon tail, with the archetypes camber profile the swallow gives an incredibly satisfying and unique flex for carving and slashing. Finally I like the channel system on a pow deck, makes adjusting to conditions east and fast

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The archetype is much more interesting to me then the other two , it floats my 240lb magnificently and it’s camber is much more fun then rocker in most situations (sorry orca) I also think full magna takes away from pow deck. The korua was cool too but the tie breaker for me is the carbon tail, with the archetypes camber profile the swallow gives an incredibly satisfying and unique flex for carving and slashing. Finally I like the channel system on a pow deck, makes adjusting to conditions east and fast
Thanks for the detailed reply. I am partial to the archetype as I’ve owned 3 Endeavor boards in the past and they’re a local company as I live in Vancouver.

I think the orca is out of the running. It’ll be between the Korua and the Archetype.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Is it pretty easy to adjust the bindings even with non channel bindings? IIRC it's pretty simple, but it's been a while since I've done it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would say that hardpack carving isn’t super important but it would be a nice bonus.
The Orca is hands down the worst groomer board from this list (CRC). But it floats and handles uneven terrain very well (my impression on moguls).

When it comes to the Archetype vs Dart. The Archetype is more poppy and playful, the Dart is more damp and floats better. They have a different flex pattern, the tail on the Archetype is soft torsionally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it pretty easy to adjust the bindings even with non channel bindings? IIRC it's pretty simple, but it's been a while since I've done it.
When you're in a warm house with a clean snowboard, it's no big deal to unscrew 8 screws, pick up the binding, re-center it on a new set of screw holes, and tighten it down.

When you're at your car in the parking lot or in the field after a run, it's freezing out and there's pow all stuck to your deck, it's far easier to loosen 4 screws and slide the bindings.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Pretty accurate assessments by the others, I think. The Archetype has the widest usage range, from all-mtn to deep pow. The one thing it could use is perhaps a bit more setback, but it works for me. Then the Dart. I think I prefer it on smooth corduroy than tracked out pow. The Orca is good in pow/tree but tbh I hang it as wallart now.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
When you're in a warm house with a clean snowboard, it's no big deal to unscrew 8 screws, pick up the binding, re-center it on a new set of screw holes, and tighten it down.

When you're at your car in the parking lot or in the field after a run, it's freezing out and there's pow all stuck to your deck, it's far easier to loosen 4 screws and slide the bindings.
I meant non EST binding on EST boards lol. Is it 4 screws per binding or two? The only board I've done this with is my gfs burton and it's been a while since she's used that haha.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I meant non EST binding on EST boards lol. Is it 4 screws per binding or two? The only board I've done this with is my gfs burton and it's been a while since she's used that haha.
two screws. Boards with channel system come with two screws per binding for EST and non-EST

·
Registered
424 Posts
Two screws (edit: per binding a 50% screw savings!) and unless you are adjusting binding angles it’s incredibly easy to drop your bindings back sitting in the snow. You also have limited risk of losing hardware as you just have to loosen bolts to move your bindings not completely remove.

if you are going channel, I’d recommend EST bindings if within budget, they let you drop your bindings further back then traditional bindings in the system

i run traditional bindings on my archetype and havent had an issue but at some point I’m going to grab EST to grab that bit of additional drop

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Two screws (edit: per binding a 50% screw savings!) and unless you are adjusting binding angles it’s incredibly easy to drop your bindings back sitting in the snow. You also have limited risk of losing hardware as you just have to loosen bolts to move your bindings not completely remove.

if you are going channel, I’d recommend EST bindings if within budget, they let you drop your bindings further back then traditional bindings in the system

i run traditional bindings on my archetype and havent had an issue but at some point I’m going to grab EST to grab that bit of additional drop
two screws. Boards with channel system come with two screws per binding for EST and non-EST
Thanks guys, that's what I thought!

I sold all my EST bindings and might end up getting an EST board because I found a solid deal on one locally that could be a fun ice coast board and make for a decent trade if I don't like it. I'm unlikely to buy another set of EST bindings at this time so I'll probably just have to use my Cartel X's if I can find the other hardware.

Sorry for the mini-derail!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts