Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Orca is hands down the worst groomer board from this list (CRC). But it floats and handles uneven terrain very well (my impression on moguls).

When it comes to the Archetype vs Dart. The Archetype is more poppy and playful, the Dart is more damp and floats better. They have a different flex pattern, the tail on the Archetype is soft torsionally.
Does the dart float a lot better than the archetype? Dart 8/10 float, archetype 6/10 type thing????

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Two screws (edit: per binding a 50% screw savings!) and unless you are adjusting binding angles it’s incredibly easy to drop your bindings back sitting in the snow. You also have limited risk of losing hardware as you just have to loosen bolts to move your bindings not completely remove.

if you are going channel, I’d recommend EST bindings if within budget, they let you drop your bindings further back then traditional bindings in the system

i run traditional bindings on my archetype and havent had an issue but at some point I’m going to grab EST to grab that bit of additional drop
You have that backward. EST bindings have their screws outside of the footbed, so that limits how much you can set them forward/backward and how much you can rotate them. Measured on the same board re:flex can be set 2cm further back/forward than EST.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You have that backward. EST bindings have their screws outside of the footbed, so that limits how much you can set them forward/backward and how much you can rotate them. Measured on the same board re:flex can be set 2cm further back/forward than EST.
Huh good to know, I’ve never had est but was apparently missinformed, it does make sense looking at the design

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yeah, weirdly enough Reflex bindings allow for more setback on EST boards.
EST bindings are really solid though, the EST hinge is a cool design feature and the ease of use is fantastic.

I think the EST binding design also limits the angles if you're going +/+

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Huh good to know, I’ve never had est but was apparently missinformed, it does make sense looking at the design
EST has its moments but I for one wonder why they stick with the outset screw design. Every time there is a rumor of an EST refresh, people predict a design change to inset screw placement that could allow more travel and angles. But then it would be too similar to the re:flex scheme, so I don't think it's actually a thing.

I used to be an EST fan but kinda outgrew it. There is no real killer reason to stick with it even for channel boards. And if you have multiple hole patterns to contend with, EST becomes an expensive one trick pony. Still love the Genesis X EST but that will probably be the end of my purchase.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dart floats so good, i can’t imagine why would anyone need to readjust their binding settings on this biard. Korua somehow suits my riding style, width, stiffness, camber allow me to ride with confidence, fast and aggressive, so i’ve no problem in chopped out terrain, on the contrary, i kinda like it. But i like wide boards, with freeride flex.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, weirdly enough Reflex bindings allow for more setback on EST boards.
EST bindings are really solid though, the EST hinge is a cool design feature and the ease of use is fantastic.

I think the EST binding design also limits the angles if you're going +/+
also, re:flex has a bit more cushioning ifI remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm not sure what your stats are (weight, height, boot size) but this might merit a look as well.

Somebody please buy this and review it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
One more vote for the Archetype. It is soooo fun and snappy going fast in POW and floats awesome. The nose width is almost 32 cm on my 158 which is about the same as the orcas in the 150’s. So maybe you can find a better low angle slow powder deck but not one that charges POW and groomers as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
One more vote for the Archetype. It is soooo fun and snappy going fast in POW and floats awesome. The nose width is almost 32 cm on my 158 which is about the same as the orcas in the 150’s. So maybe you can find a better low angle slow powder deck but not one that charges POW and groomers as well.

you guys are making this one tough. It’s amazing how hyped the orca was but people really seem to love the archetype.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
you guys are making this one tough. It’s amazing how hyped the orca was but people really seem to love the archetype.
You'll constantly see people say that the archetype wasn't as good as they thought it would be when things got truly deep.

Somebody please buy this and review it

Hey @ian1974 I think this guys got your name on it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think for truly deep you need to size up the EA. I sized up from the 154 156 cm sizes I usually ride to a 158 archetype. The taper makes the back foot narrower so I can see if I was on a 154 cm archetype yeah I may need more float. I couldn’t find the waist width on Korua’s site to compare specs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The dart shape looks like it will float for sure. I was surprised at the balance between snappiness and dampness if the EA. It’s stable through tracked out conditions and I can straight line chunky junk no prob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Korua has their waist width info on all their boards. Which one are you looking for? Unsure why you can't find it. It's right in the specs.
Get an archetype and a dart

Yes! Found the specs! Just had to scroll down. That board looks awesome. Want to ride it to compare. I’m no help here . It does look like the dart has earlier early rise in the nose than the EA so may float better.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts