Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Two screws (edit: per binding a 50% screw savings!) and unless you are adjusting binding angles it’s incredibly easy to drop your bindings back sitting in the snow. You also have limited risk of losing hardware as you just have to loosen bolts to move your bindings not completely remove.

if you are going channel, I’d recommend EST bindings if within budget, they let you drop your bindings further back then traditional bindings in the system

i run traditional bindings on my archetype and havent had an issue but at some point I’m going to grab EST to grab that bit of additional drop
Isn't it the opposite for EST bindings since the mounting screw is on the side of the binding instead of underneath? That seems like the rear screw would prevent the binding from going as far back in the channel as compared to a binding with mounting screws underneath.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Isn't it the opposite for EST bindings since the mounting screw is on the side of the binding instead of underneath? That seems like the rear screw would prevent the binding from going as far back in the channel as compared to a binding with mounting screws underneath.
Yes I was wrong, posted above, non est bindings can drop further back

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Deep pow in the morning and chopped up crud in the afternoon? Nitro Squash should be a consideration as well. Owned and loved the Archetype, but for those two specific use cases I'd take the Squash over the Archetype, more float and more stability. Never ridden the Orca or Dart to compare further.

What sort of size range are you looking in? What's your weight and boot size? Archetypes taper makes it pretty narrow at the back foot if you want to get your carve on too.

Reactions: Scalpelman

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Hello all, just wondering if anyone on here has tried all three boards? I’m mainly a resort rider but on those days when there’s a big dump overnight I want a board that can handle the deep pow in the morning and all the tracked up chunder in the afternoon. I never hit the park so those qualities in a board doesn’t matter to me. Let me know your thoughts.
Going back to the original post - have you considered an Amplid Surfari? The anti-phase tech is pretty special for those tracked out situations. It's a fantastic board.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello all, just wondering if anyone on here has tried all three boards? I’m mainly a resort rider but on those days when there’s a big dump overnight I want a board that can handle the deep pow in the morning and all the tracked up chunder in the afternoon. I never hit the park so those qualities in a board doesn’t matter to me. Let me know your thoughts.
Archetype fits the bill but is a bit more of an all rounder. The only bowrd of the 3 I haven't ridden, but friends have told me a bit about it.

Orca is super eh in anything but trees and pow. Get this if you want a super nimble tree pow board.

Dart (classic) has the best float of the 3, best carving performance of the 3, and the best chunder charging capabilities. The classic Koruas are on the heavier side and relatively stiff, so they absolute charge through chunder.

I personally have a 164 Dart Plus right now and it floats completely effortlessly. I have taken it through some waist deep conditions and its been an absolute dream. The plus line of Koruas struggle a little more in heavy chunder compared to their classic counterparts, but I also weigh 220lbs so barely makes a difference for me. The speed and extra pop is worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Archetype fits the bill but is a bit more of an all rounder. The only bowrd of the 3 I haven't ridden, but friends have told me a bit about it.

Orca is super eh in anything but trees and pow. Get this if you want a super nimble tree pow board.

Dart (classic) has the best float of the 3, best carving performance of the 3, and the best chunder charging capabilities. The classic Koruas are on the heavier side and relatively stiff, so they absolute charge through chunder.

I personally have a 164 Dart Plus right now and it floats completely effortlessly. I have taken it through some waist deep conditions and its been an absolute dream. The plus line of Koruas struggle a little more in heavy chunder compared to their classic counterparts, but I also weigh 220lbs so barely makes a difference for me. The speed and extra pop is worth it.
At 220lbs do you think the 164 dart plus is quick enough for tight trees?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, i have a café racer +, it’s stiff. The 164 dart + must be physical in tight trees.
Must be exactly like you said it, quite physical, you know how carbon boards are not exactly compliant on slow speed, plus that additional torsional stiffness, you’d be forced to ride fast and you wouldn’t be able to utilise torsional twist to initiate turns. My only experience is a TF plus in Japan, but that forest was not tight all, but yes rode fast and turned like in slalom

·
Registered
57 Posts
At 220lbs do you think the 164 dart plus is quick enough for tight trees?
Not 'the best' for tight trees, but that deep swallow tail feels pretty maneuverable in deep deep snow. Then again I'm a big boy who needs big boards and I typically avoid super tight lines in general. But I've never felt super sketched riding it at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Going back to the original post - have you considered an Amplid Surfari? The anti-phase tech is pretty special for those tracked out situations. It's a fantastic board.
I have not looked at the amplid. Perhaps I’ll take a look. Really hoping a Korua pops up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Deep pow in the morning and chopped up crud in the afternoon? Nitro Squash should be a consideration as well. Owned and loved the Archetype, but for those two specific use cases I'd take the Squash over the Archetype, more float and more stability. Never ridden the Orca or Dart to compare further.

What sort of size range are you looking in? What's your weight and boot size? Archetypes taper makes it pretty narrow at the back foot if you want to get your carve on too.
I’m 145lbs size 9 boot. I hadn’t considered the nitro.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’m 145lbs size 9 boot. I hadn’t considered the nitro.
If you are adding decks to your list that can handle pow and then jump into chunder/hardpack I’d be looking hard at the

1. Yes Hybrid
2. Jones Mind Expander
3. Rome Service Dog
4. Gnu Gremlin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
If you are adding decks to your list that can handle pow and then jump into chunder/hardpack I’d be looking hard at the

1. Yes Hybrid
2. Jones Mind Expander
3. Rome Service Dog
4. Gnu Gremlin
The Gnu Gremlin is my current daily driver. I don’t really love it in pow though. I had a Rossi sushi for pow but just sold it. It was a great board but I want a board that can still handle things once everything gets tracked out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Gnu Gremlin is my current daily driver. I don’t really love it in pow though. I had a Rossi sushi for pow but just sold it. It was a great board but I want a board that can still handle things once everything gets tracked out.
makes sense, my current deck for that is my tail gunner

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had the sushi for a while,such an awesome board, my shorty pow/tree board is the telos backslash now, might not be as great as the sushi in pure powder, but its much better when things are tracked out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I had the sushi for a while,such an awesome board, my shorty pow/tree board is the telos backslash now, might not be as great as the sushi in pure powder, but its much better when things are tracked out
i was looking at the telos too but the dart just seems like it might be perfect

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well let us know once you get one if it’s perfect for what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts