Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermediate rider start to do alright carves looking to upgrade for next season. 167cm, 63kg and boot size 8. Currently ride a 151cm Jones mountain twin.

Looking at Korua pencil or Cafe Racer. I think both will be suitable but Cafe Racer's 156cm might be a better size for me at 156cm (woulda loved a smaller size at 154 maybe)?

Plan to pair the board with Now Drive bindings. advise is really appreciated :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like 154 and I weigh more than you. At 155pounds. Maybe look into the tranny finder I know that comes in a 154. If you get a 156 that would be a great pow and stable go fast af board for you. But will probably feel big. With your boot size you can pick any board without worrying about toe drag. That’s a big plus.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Cafe Racer56 is the same board as the Pencil59, just with a slightly different tail shape. I've ridden the Pencil59 and at 181cm 77kg it felt about right for me as a stiffer carving board. At your size I think it would probably be too much unless you are a beast on the board :) @Matías idea of the TF54 is a good one. I've also ridden that board and although it was softer for me, it was still fast and powerful. Koruas in general are way stiffer than most other boards (Jones for example) in terms of the recommended sizes. By that I mean a Korua that you are in the middle of the size range for will be a good amount stiffer than a Jones you are in the middle of the size range for.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So uh... you're pretty light and you have the same boot size as me.

Have you thought of other boards or are you set on Korua? I think both those 156's are going to be pretty big for you. The TF54 might work well, but I'd definitely want to try something like that first especially as you're pretty much in the bottom 3rd of the weight range. I'd maybe look at stuff like the nidecker area and the k2 simple pleasures.

·
Registered
989 Posts
All good recommendations above. I wouldn’t fear a larger stiffer deck. I consider myself advanced intermediate, 165lb and have a couple stiff 163cm boards for carving. One thing is for sure, you have to be on your game when riding. But it will force you to progress in your carving. Call or email korua for advice and get strong in the off-season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
appreciate everyone's reply! being a lightweight definitely limit the board length choices XD

·
Registered
6 Posts
appreciate everyone's reply! being a lightweight definitely limit the board length choices XD
I was trying to make a similar decision recently. If you are just starting to do decent carves I don't think you need a board like a Korua (though they are very cool). You can do serious carves on a lot of boards that are more forgiving than a Pencil or Cafe Racer. I ended up with a K2 Niseko Pleasures and am very happy with the range of conditions it can handle. After two decades of riding twin tip boards it is great to be back on a forgiving but stable directional board. K2 Simole Pleasures would be similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you looked at the gremlin? It’ll hold an edge for sure. 148 or 151.
What are you going to get?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would take a cafe racer over a pencil. But I don’t think a wider waist board is necessary or even helpful until you’re a confident carver. It’s just going to add extra motion to the carve to get the board on edge and could lead to forming bad habits in the learning stage. I’d go something full camber with a modest waist and directional. Stiffer side of medium flex.

ie. something more traditional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of turns and riding are you going to do?
i rly like carving on groomers and trying to polish my intermediate S carves, esp on toe edge. also want a POW board to complement my jones mountain twin.. otherwise was just checking out a jones hovercraft that's on sale, seem pretty sweet too :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
K2 Simple Pleasures is a great choice for what you’re looking after. It’s softer and easier than the Koruas. Easier to turn at low speed and for your weight and working on intermediate turns and carves it’s a better choice than the Koruas imo (which require more speed and work but charge and carve harder).
I'd suggested that upthread as well!

Just thought of the salomon super8 as well. That's a softer carv-ish deck as well.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd suggested that upthread as well!

Just thought of the salomon super8 as well. That's a softer carv-ish deck as well.
True. Should have just said I just bump your idea 😀
One thing to add - I have CR 64 and owned 59 at the same time while two buds own K2 SP 156.
3 friends who are working on their intermediate carves preferred to stay on the SP after a swap.
They enjoyed and handled the CR 59 but preferred the SP 56.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
K2 Simple Pleasures is a great choice for what you’re looking after. It’s softer and easier than the Koruas. Easier to turn at low speed and for your weight and working on intermediate turns and carves it’s a better choice than the Koruas imo (which require more speed and work but charge and carve harder).
Definitely nailed it, I ride my Korua TF157 to open the day for an hour or two, then on the niseko pleasures for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
@16gkid what are your thoughts on the korua now that you've had it out a few times? You've got me really curious about the SP/NP!

I rode the stealth the entire day recently and it was awesome, but man my legs felt it. I've been swapping to the yup or the spam for the afternoons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i rly like carving on groomers and trying to polish my intermediate S carves, esp on toe edge. also want a POW board to complement my jones mountain twin.. otherwise was just checking out a jones hovercraft that's on sale, seem pretty sweet too :)
A 154 Dart could really be your thing. Its the most mellow in their line and much more capable on groomers than its tail would let you think. With the added benefit of being a POW board. Dart + mountain twin would make an excellent quiver of boards with a wide range, but very different feel. By the way, the pencil also has more rocker in the nose than the café racer, not just a different tail.

You could also look at the Nidecker Area, for something shreddy and carvy. It's quite "beginner" friendly—I mean if your are beginning to scrap your elbows!—and fun. They use it a lot in the slice & dice serie, which leaves quite some room for progression despite being a "beginner" board ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts