Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Misquoting me is the only way that you can carry on your losing argument? I very clearly stated that I was talking about most/the vast majority of riders.
I was equally clear that you're welcome to do something different if you want to. But that does not invalidate the point.
Be honest. It’s the smirk in my avatar that has you so hellbent on disagreeing with my every post, isn’t it? You should know that the image isn’t really me. It’s just a silly picture from an old SNL skit that I fully admit wasn’t that funny back in the 80s. In real life I’m an open minded bro who pursues a handful of hobbies with a lot of zeal. I do a lot of trial and error stuff. I like to build things and modify things. I’ll gladly give up pretty much any conclusion I’ve come to about boards, prep, or riding if persuaded with some evidence or even the right kind of passion. I’ve personally followed a bunch of dead ends. I’ve regrouped my thoughts many times. I’m never done considering things. But at this point I feel pretty strongly that i know the diff between a carve board and a pow board and the virtues of a well prepped base. But I’m still open. Tell me what you’ve got. I really will listen. Right now it seems like you’re being contrarian. Got race experience. Drop some knowledge. I’m listening. Tell me how I should do prep if I wanted to win a gold medal in wet snow. I’m not interested in what’s “good enough.” No shade-throw intended. I’m looking for some next level shit, whether it’s snowboards, beer,, ski wax, cars, bikes, surfboards, cheese, beekeeping, kitchen knives, smokers and grills, dirt bikes, men’s dress shoes, etc. Thats what I’m interested in lately, roughly in order of most interested to least interested.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Still a strawman argument. Of course a board that is great in pow and great at carving will be a little bit of a compromise.
Hint 1: It is a compromise that works for the vast majority of riders. Just by pointing at somebody very extreme (and potentially imaginary) does not invalidate the fact that it is perfectly possible to have a board that is good enough at both carving and powder.
Hint 2: In fact every board is a compromise. Even your super duper specialized carving deck has a fixed sidecut radius etc Should people have multiple carving decks depending on whether they want to make large or small turns?
See what happens when you take your argument ad absurdum?
I have multiple carving decks both softboot and hardboot with different radii (maybe 4 or 5 total) and I consider what board (with what radius) to take out based on what mountain I’ll be riding and how wide the runs are. I also factor in how crowded it will be. I like a more nimble board for crowds. Absurd to think about this stuff? I believe that it is at least a little absurd. Fun? Definitely. Today I’m riding an empty hill with a big ass soft boot carving board with an avg sidecut at around 11m. Edges are sharp as hell. And it’s damp damp damp. It was prepped for yesterday but the base got smoked in the slush. I had to do some actual work so I couldnt shine it up. Bummer. Even though trails here are narrow I can arc some smaller turns by bending the shit out of the board. It’s broken snow with some bumps and some ice in the shade. I came with one board only and I’m stoked because I feel like I chose the right one from my pile. I’m carrying a tool and playing with binding angles looking for the right balance between scooping snow with my boots on highly angulated turns and keeping the kind of responsiveness you get when your toes and heels sit right at the edges. This I what I Like to do.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rather than pursue ad hominem type posts, I’m sincerely asking you for your theory on base prep. I thought you were poopooing the whole practice. Sorry if I misunderstood. Tell me what you think works best or point to a post where you did so earlier. Also please share what kinda snow you prep for.

Added: what do you think about what these bros are doing? I had them do up a carving board for me last spring. I was impressed with the results. It seemed like a lot of race bros were picking up and dropping off the skis and a few boards. Did I got the wrong impression that this kind of service was sought after? Beneficial?

https://m.jans.com/blog/nate-tomlinson/jans-hosts-the-head-world-cup-tuning-clinic-with-alex-martin-video-recap
Fail - There was no ad hominem in my post.

Be honest. It’s the smirk in my avatar that has you so hellbent on disagreeing with my every post, isn’t it? You should know that the image isn’t really me. It’s just a silly picture from an old SNL skit that I fully admit wasn’t that funny back in the 80s. In real life I’m an open minded bro who pursues a handful of hobbies with a lot of zeal. I do a lot of trial and error stuff. I like to build things and modify things. I’ll gladly give up pretty much any conclusion I’ve come to about boards, prep, or riding if persuaded with some evidence or even the right kind of passion. I’ve personally followed a bunch of dead ends. I’ve regrouped my thoughts many times. I’m never done considering things. But at this point I feel pretty strongly that i know the diff between a carve board and a pow board and the virtues of a well prepped base. But I’m still open. Tell me what you’ve got. I really will listen. Right now it seems like you’re being contrarian. Got race experience. Drop some knowledge. I’m listening. Tell me how I should do prep if I wanted to win a gold medal in wet snow. I’m not interested in what’s “good enough.” No shade-throw intended. I’m looking for some next level shit, whether it’s snowboards, beer,, ski wax, cars, bikes, surfboards, cheese, beekeeping, kitchen knives, smokers and grills, dirt bikes, men’s dress shoes, etc. Thats what I’m interested in lately, roughly in order of most interested to least interested.
So many words, so little to say. Not gonna engage unless you actually have a point.

I have multiple carving decks both softboot and hardboot with different radii (maybe 4 or 5 total) and I consider what board (with what radius) to take out based on what mountain I’ll be riding and how wide the runs are. I also factor in how crowded it will be. I like a more nimble board for crowds. Absurd to think about this stuff? I believe that it is at least a little absurd. Fun? Definitely. Today I’m riding an empty hill with a big ass soft boot carving board with an avg sidecut at around 11m. Edges are sharp as hell. And it’s damp damp damp. It was prepped for yesterday but the base got smoked in the slush. I had to do some actual work so I couldnt shine it up. Bummer. Even though trails here are narrow I can arc some smaller turns by bending the shit out of the board. It’s broken snow with some bumps and some ice in the shade. I came with one board only and I’m stoked because I feel like I chose the right one from my pile. I’m carrying a tool and playing with binding angles looking for the right balance between scooping snow with my boots on highly angulated turns and keeping the kind of responsiveness you get when your toes and heels sit right at the edges. This I what I Like to do.
May be this is true, may be not - hell, it is the internet. Assuming yes (benefit of doubt and all): good for you if it makes you happy. But unlikely to be relevant (let alone applicable) to anybody but a tiny minority of people.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Nah, the troll has run out of interesting things to say.
So you're not going to tell me how we really should be waxing? I mean it when I say that I would seriously listen to your tech. I'm here. Tell me and everybody else the inside tech that all the world cup ski bros are using. I'm genuinely curious to hear what you know. I'm ready to believe that you know something that I don't. But if you're gonna make all that noise about how I'm wrong and then have nothing to say when I ask you what's right then what's left for me to think? You think I'm a troll? Look at my post count. Look at the length of my posts. I'm here saying what I think I've figured out. I'm not just trying to say somebody is wrong. So now's your turn to share. Otherwise just go away because you're not adding to the dialectic...you're taking away from it.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
SGBoarder:

I said I have a handful of carve-focused boards and that I try to pick one (or maybe sometimes two) depending on what conditions (trail width, snow, crowds, etc.) I'll likely encounter. You followed with

May be this is true, may be not - hell, it is the internet. Assuming yes (benefit of doubt and all): good for you if it makes you happy. But unlikely to be relevant (let alone applicable) to anybody but a tiny minority of people.
You realize that we are posting on on "Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums > Snowboarding Equipment > Boards ..." --right? So when I talk about boards and how they compare and how I decide what to ride on a particular day I'm talking about Snowboarding. I'm being an Enthusiast. I'm talking about Equipment. In particular I'm talking about Boards.

I'm inviting you to join the discussion in a meaningful way. You seem to have some passion for the subject but I'm not really clear on what it is that you think is best. Do you own more than one board? If yes then how do you decide which one to ride on any given day?

Also: I'm still very interested to hear what you know about waxing based on your time in and among the downhill race community. I'm genuinely interested to hear what you've got to share. You didn't comment on the Rennstall video I posted. Have you ever seen Willi Wiltz's videos for Toko? Is his tech sound in your eyes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Carving boards carve. Powder boards powder. No one board does both things very well. You wanna do both things? Do yourself a favor and get two boards. The Korua videos seem to feature bros “carving” in super soft conditions. For real: I like the big turn focused marketing. The shapes are unique. The color scheme and overall styling is very cool. (Do they have to pay Apple licensing for doing the all white thing? Does every Korua come with a pair of earbuds?) I pawed some of their boards in a shop recently and was underwhelmed with the apparent build quality/fit and finish. What factory is making them? Anybody know? Seemed like the boards had lots more style than substance. At least they don’t try to sell boards using some dumb serrated edge “grip” technology.

Vy do you make zo many rules?? ya damn fascist!

it's all relative. don't you get it? the width for powder float allows the rider the freedom to lean over in all kinds of snow without booting out, effectively...i dunno...carving!? so they can carve relatively well. better, than narrower and softer options.

Essentially, no one else cares about boxing-in different board styles under strict guidelines. just you.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

it's all relative. don't you get it? the width for powder float allows the rider the freedom to lean over in all kinds of snow without booting out, effectively...i dunno...carving!? so they can carve relatively well. better, than narrower and softer options.

Essentially, no one else cares about boxing-in different board styles under strict guidelines. just you.
Is that why we post? Or why we read posts? Because we don’t care? Is pointing at the conflicting nature of the characteristics that make pow boards work well and the ones that make carving boards work well just me imposing “strict guidelines” as you say? I humbly submit that NO is the answer to all of the above.

You mentioned that having a wider board would be a benefit to both carving and pow riding. I’d like to address that. Width and having a big floaty nose helps a lot in pow. I went out in one and only one local pow day. It was pouring snow while I rode. I was on a carving board. A long, skinny, stiff carving board. I didn’t know that there was snow in the forecast and I ended up having the wrong board with me for the occasion of about a foot of fresh. Rather than miss the event, I moved my bindings back as far as they’d go and I made it work. But it was definitely less than ideal. I don’t think I’m being controversial when I say that extra board width and a lot of volume in front of the front binding is a big asset in powder. But for carving?

Extra board width might help prevent toe/heel drag when you’re soft boot carving in duck stance. But that’s pretty much it. Beyond that, any extra board width and overall volume increase is a drawback. Anyone who’s willing to adjust their stance in order to optimize it for carving doesn’t want a lot of extra board width on a carving board. If you really really want to carve and you’re willing/able to ride forward angles then the ideal soft boot carving board is pretty skinny. I’m talking about a board that has a waist in the 23cm range. (This assumes the rider is willing to have the front binding approach 30 degrees or thereabouts. Most stiff soft boots can be safely ridden up to about that point.) The virtues of a skinny board include easier turn initiation and faster rail to rail transitions. It’s just all around a more nimble board than a wider board is.

While powder boards and carving boards both benefit from having big front ends, they really benefit from having distinctly different big front ends. The pow board needs a softer nose. That nose is a flotation aid. A bit of rocker up there might be a good thing. The carving board benefits from having a much stiffer nose that participates in the board’s overall camber profile.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

But... why couldn't you use your regular account to post this?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well,

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger - got the pencil plus. First impression: It is insanely light. Although it has a similar size as the flagship, the flagship feels bulky and heavy weight. The top sheet looks beautiful. The camber is more aggressive compared to the flagship. The waist width of both boards is exactly the same with 26,9 cm. The nose of the flagship is of course wider as you can see on the attached photo.

The flex of the board is slightly softer. If the flagship is a 9 I would rank the pencil plus with 8.

I cannot wait to get it on the slopes. Luckily I will be in Laax in nearly 2 weeks.

All, thanks for your comments and feel free to carry on with the discussion - it is an interesting topic.
Once I am back from Laax I will put a review in the board section of the forum.

Cheers

FRED
I'm curious how you like the Pencil, was it all you ever dreamt it would be? Any other Korua riders here?

·
Registered
616 Posts
My whole quiver is basically just variations of pow boards 😂

Burton skeleton key Jones hovercraft Jones storm chaser and Endeavor archetype...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This thread is a perfect reminder that even Cunts know how to snowboard, fucking A 💩 :poop:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts