Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Korua Shapes Pencil Plus

21K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  Rip154 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Has anyone experience riding a Korua Shapes Pencil Plus?

I came across the board the other day and love its shape and the design.
But before making a purchasing decision I would love to get some opinion from someone who owns or rode it.

I am currently on a Jones Flagship 165w and love it.

The pencil is not designed to replace the flagship but to have a 2nd board.
I am looking for an aggressive and fast board, good for carving but also good for off piste and powder.

I am 189cm and 98Kg - I know that the weight recommendation for the pencil is 95Kg, but Korua wrote me that my weight should not be a problem.

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

FRED

See less See more
#3 ·
I haven't ridden the + version, but I've had the regular Pencil 63 for the last two seasons. The board obviously carves well (just watch any of the Korua videos), and is really good in powder. It's very directional, and likes to be driven off the back foot. I haven't ridden a Jones Flagship, but I would think the Pencil will be a very different ride. I actually have a few Koruas, and they are holding up pretty well, but I've heard some people complaining about delams on the tail. I think the + versions are probably a little sturdier.

#4 ·
Carving boards carve. Powder boards powder. No one board does both things very well. You wanna do both things? Do yourself a favor and get two boards. The Korua videos seem to feature bros “carving” in super soft conditions. For real: I like the big turn focused marketing. The shapes are unique. The color scheme and overall styling is very cool. (Do they have to pay Apple licensing for doing the all white thing? Does every Korua come with a pair of earbuds?) I pawed some of their boards in a shop recently and was underwhelmed with the apparent build quality/fit and finish. What factory is making them? Anybody know? Seemed like the boards had lots more style than substance. At least they don’t try to sell boards using some dumb serrated edge “grip” technology.

#7 ·
Carving boards carve. Powder boards powder. No one board does both things very well. You wanna do both things? Do yourself a favor and get two boards.
No. Actually a lot of board design aspects that make a board good at carving also make it good in powder and vice versa (already discussed and explained in the other thread). For most people it is entirely possible to have one board that covers both carving and pow.

#9 ·
Well,

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger - got the pencil plus. First impression: It is insanely light. Although it has a similar size as the flagship, the flagship feels bulky and heavy weight. The top sheet looks beautiful. The camber is more aggressive compared to the flagship. The waist width of both boards is exactly the same with 26,9 cm. The nose of the flagship is of course wider as you can see on the attached photo.

The flex of the board is slightly softer. If the flagship is a 9 I would rank the pencil plus with 8.

I cannot wait to get it on the slopes. Luckily I will be in Laax in nearly 2 weeks.

All, thanks for your comments and feel free to carry on with the discussion - it is an interesting topic.
Once I am back from Laax I will put a review in the board section of the forum.

Cheers

FRED

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
The pow carve deck is a think and its good at both but doesnt excel at them. When im hitting groomers I ride a cambered from tip to tail board thats made for it. Fullbag diamond blade. I can ride it in pow and trees but why torture myself

If im in deep powder i ride a powder board with an early rise sholen nose nose, deep setback and a snub or swallow tail. Fullbag lifer. Yeah i can carve it but its not the same thing

When i need to have a single big mountain board that can do steeps with crud conditions, groomers and hold its own in pow i would get a board like whats mentioned... pow carve deck. Stiff, cambered between the feet, early rise nose, tapered and setback 3cm or so.

Not sure why people are bashing the desire for a quiver. Doesnt have to do with ability, more with disposable income...

#30 ·
You missed my point. If I were to take two steps back and try to identify my overall point: most people on the mountain ride like shit and don’t know how to ride the one board they own. I assume they’re not on this board with any regularity. They’re the kinda bros who buy boards based on marketing material. And on what’s on deep discount. I’m not talking to them because I’m sure they aren’t listening. If you know how to ride a board and you are building a quiver then do not be confused. A pow board is a pow board. A carving board is a carving board. Any one board that claims to be both is a compromise. Some people should compromise. Some people who live in places that get a fair bit of pow might wanna give up Carve performance for a dual purpose board if it’s their one board or they need a compromise board. But it won’t carve like a carver or pow like a pow board. If you live in groomerland, iceville and you wanna carve, then you really should buy a camber board with a long effective edge. Skip the combination pow carve board. Best solution: buy 6 or 7 boards with very different specs. (Im not suggesting you do it all at once. Buy used. Ride each one at least a few times. Then sell the ones you don’t love. You actually don’t need a pair of bindings for every deck if you own a screwdriver and are willing to use it. Spend the money on boards. And travel.)

#32 ·
I can get down with most of that. I still feel you can get both really well with a lot of decks, like an Optimistic, or BSOD, and so well that for the resort rider / slack country rider, which is still 90% of this board, will be completely fine. But see your point. A Custom X and a Spring Break compliment each other well.

I misunderstood the weaker rider comment. My bad.

#68 ·
Two things cause zombie revivals:

1. New members whose 'latest posts' is empty because they haven't been here long enough, so they go through the forum listings and don't notice the date on the last post. (maybe 1/3)
2. Spammers who post some empty reply ("Me too. I really like them!") to an interesting looking thread, with the idea that they'll go back in a day or three and edit their post to include a spam link. I quite enjoy waiting until they make their move and them banning them before anyone can even see it. (that's maybe 2/3)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.