Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchaced a Tranny Finder and have yet to have the ideal conditions to give it a honest review. I took it out on a very wet day and found the added width very hard to get on its heal edge, especially on the off groomer bumps. I found I had to add a ton of forward lean to my front binding. With all of the DEEP powder we've been getting up here in the PNW, the Tranny has been sitting on the shelf and I've been riding the FISH.

While standing in the lift line I noticed another guy on a Korua Pencil, but he had the PLUS model which is made with higher end materials. After talking to him about it for a minute he took off his board and told me to feel how light it was, holy shit I couldn't believe how light it was, literally half the weight of my Tranny, I now wished I'd bought the PLUS version.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchaced a Tranny Finder and have yet to have the ideal conditions to give it a honest review. I took it out on a very wet day and found the added width very hard to get on its heal edge, especially on the off groomer bumps. I found I had to add a ton of forward lean to my front binding. With all of the DEEP powder we've been getting up here in the PNW, the Tranny has been sitting on the shelf and I've been riding the FISH.

While standing in the lift line I noticed another guy on a Korua Pencil, but he had the PLUS model which is made with higher end materials. After talking to him about it for a minute he took off his board and told me to feel how light it was, holy shit I couldn't believe how light it was, literally half the weight of my Tranny, I now wished I'd bought the PLUS version.
I demo'd a 157 Tranny Finder (regular version). I tend to ride wider boards but found the TF's 269mm waist width a bit of work. However, once you get it up to speed, it does tend to loosen up a bit and become easier to manage edge to edge. This is just one of those boards that are happiest going fast to take advantage of the mass and sidecut. Even did a few moguls with it to confirm my suspicion and realized the faster I went, the easier the board became to maneuver. Carving did feel nice when you can get the board on an aggressive angle/edge which, yup, you guessed it, occurs best at speed.

I demo'd it on a relatively hard-packed day and took a few runs with it. After about 5 or so runs, I went back to my car and got my Never Summer Twenty Five and just enjoyed the rest of the day on that...I just wasn't feeling the 'heaviness' of the board, which, with the stiffness, just made the board feel dead. The Twenty Five felt light and nimble as a feather after riding the TF. Even though I would not purchase the regular TF, I am very intrigued at what a lighter TF a la the Plus model would feel like, i.e. if it would eliminate my grievances with the regular board.

If you are in a similar camp, I'd just sell the board and buy the plus version. A board with that shape, stiffness and girth needs to be lighter to have some soul and maneuverability. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they came up with a Plus version to begin with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts