Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rider size: 6'3" 197lbs, 28 Mondopoint boot (US10)
Board length: 159
Conditions: Day 1 = PNW packed powder, snow-ment, light snow. Day 2 = Heavy powder, 1ft deep, tracked out
Bindings: Rome Targa L/XL

The first thing I noticed when I rode this board was the asymmetry. I've ridden a few asym boards before but they've all been CRC (Space Case, Riders Choice) which I think makes the differences in sidecut more subtle. Since this board is pretty much full camber, you can really feel the deeper sidecut on the heels and it's not subtle at all. It has that "holy crap I can rail heelside turns as hard as I want to on this and it's got me" feeling. Heelside turns are also noticeably quicker than toe side. So the board gives the impression that you're riding a 156 on the heelside and a 159 on the toe side, so overall it feels slightly more nimble than a typical 159.

Flex is medium/stiff and fairly even throughout the board. Comparing this to my daily driver, a Rome Mod 159, the Mod is slightly stiffer overall particularly in front of the bindings toward the tips. But the Double Barrel is not a noodle and definitely not for someone that wants that flexy easy-to-butter freestyle feeling. But since I love my Mod I was happy that the flex of this board was similar.

The camber profile is advertised as flat to camber to slight rocker in the tips, and that's evident here but the board pretty much rides like traditional camber. The rocker in the tips is minimal, and the flat section between the feet doesn't feel like the more pronounced "rocker" sections on Mervin's C3 boards. So, feels like traditional camber with a slightly more easily-accessed flex and pop for ollies. On hard conditions you're going to feel those tips dig in and get jerked around on rutted cat tracks just like traditional camber, and this board also straight-lines and tracks like a champ on jumps.

Due to the deep heelside sidecut carving on this was an absolute blast, and it's very forgiving riding switch. I'm normally hesitant to go over choppy terrain and moguls switch at full speed but this board gave me confidence to do that. For fully laid out carves this would be really good for someone who likes carving on twins. This board is slightly wider so boot out was not an issue which is great.

I did some boxes but no rails, and if you can jib with slightly stiffer snowboards you're fine on this. If you're starting out or want a bendy board that flexes easily around features and kinks look elsewhere.

This board is great on jumps. Stevens Pass only has small and huge XL features up at the moment so I couldn't test this out on a medium/large jump line like I'd like to and I'm not up for the kickers that are taller than I am. But I'd be confident taking this board off of any size jump; it's got the stability and stiffness to handle it.

Overall this is the kind of slopestyle aggressive cambered park board that I love, and the asymmetry gives it a really unique and forgiving ride. This could easily become a daily driver for me especially when the resort is crowded and I need something nimble to go around people but still solid for high speed aggressive riding. Also, this is silly but I love the lime green base that makes the snow glow bright green like the board has LED's on the bottom. For the price it's really tough to beat and it's highly recommendable if you want an aggressive twin.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome Review. Looking for a asymmetrical all mountain freestyle board that is mostly camber dominant. I have a few questions and concerns that I hope you can help me out with to make my decision a little easier.

Thinking about getting a Lago Double Barrel 152 or Capita Asymmulator 152.

Specs: Male 5'6"-5'7" 170lbs. Size 7 Boots. Progressing Intermediate. 50% groomers/side hits 50% park/freestyle.

1. You say there is rocker in the tips but on the website its so hard to tell since there is no wording or labels for it at all. If there is rocker How big is the rocker section in the tips...? Overall did you feel like the rocker section helped out with making the board feel loser and make turns easier...?

2. You stated that the flex is medium/stiff. But some people are stating that it is medium or 'middle of the road'. I like boards that are borderline medium or 'slightly' softer than medium. Do you think the Double Barrel might be a little 'too stiff' for me...?

3. You stated the double barrel is not really for butters but overall do you think butters are still doable especially for someone who actually knows how to butter...?

4. Overall...Did you feel like the deeper heel side sidecut helped with making heel side carves feel stronger and easier to turn/initiate...? I am wanting to learn switch and I am hoping a asymmetrical board with a deeper heel side sidecut will make learning switch easier.

5. Overall...Do you think the board will eventually soften up to a medium or maybe slightly softer than medium after a full season or maybe 30+ days...?

6. Don't know if you have any experience with the Capita Asymmulator but Do you know if the Double Barrel is definitely stiffer than the asymmulator or are they about the same in flex...? Capita states the asymmulator as being a 6 out of 10 flex.

Sorry for all the nagging questions. The double barrel specs are what I would consider 'ideal' for my style of riding and I want to make sure this board can deliver before I decide on a purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome Review. Looking for a asymmetrical all mountain freestyle board that is mostly camber dominant. I have a few questions and concerns that I hope you can help me out with to make my decision a little easier.

Thinking about getting a Lago Double Barrel 152 or Capita Asymmulator 152.

Specs: Male 5'6"-5'7" 170lbs. Size 7 Boots. Progressing Intermediate. 50% groomers/side hits 50% park/freestyle.

1. You say there is rocker in the tips but on the website its so hard to tell since there is no wording or labels for it at all. If there is rocker How big is the rocker section in the tips...? Overall did you feel like the rocker section helped out with making the board feel loser and make turns easier...?

2. You stated that the flex is medium/stiff. But some people are stating that it is medium or 'middle of the road'. I like boards that are borderline medium or 'slightly' softer than medium. Do you think the Double Barrel might be a little 'too stiff' for me...?

3. You stated the double barrel is not really for butters but overall do you think butters are still doable especially for someone who actually knows how to butter...?

4. Overall...Did you feel like the deeper heel side sidecut helped with making heel side carves feel stronger and easier to turn/initiate...? I am wanting to learn switch and I am hoping a asymmetrical board with a deeper heel side sidecut will make learning switch easier.

5. Overall...Do you think the board will eventually soften up to a medium or maybe slightly softer than medium after a full season or maybe 30+ days...?

6. Don't know if you have any experience with the Capita Asymmulator but Do you know if the Double Barrel is definitely stiffer than the asymmulator or are they about the same in flex...? Capita states the asymmulator as being a 6 out of 10 flex.

Sorry for all the nagging questions. The double barrel specs are what I would consider 'ideal' for my style of riding and I want to make sure this board can deliver before I decide on a purchase.
1. This is not a loose board. It feels like traditional camber. Rocker in the tips is minimal and you don't feel it. The camber in this board is no joke - if the middle section weren't flat it would probably be close to 1cm camber.

2. It's a fairly stiff and aggressive board. If you like a softer board this isn't it.

3. Butters are totally doable, but you're going to work for it.

4. Absolutely, the deeper heel side cut makes heel side carves very locked in. I like riding this switch, but if you're learning from scratch this is a fairly unforgiving board compared to a CRC or RCR board. But if you want to learn the hard way quickly this would work.

5. No idea how this will soften over time, but I'd say probably not much. It's a pretty thick board and seems built to take a beating more than anything.

6. I haven't ridden the assymulator but it seems like you want something a little more forgiving than this board. For comparison, I have a Rome Mod 159 and 162 I ride all the time. This 159 sits in between those as far as aggressiveness.

I would not recommend this board for intermediate riders unless you're going to go out and charge hard all day 30+ days a season trying to get better and need a board you won't outgrow OR if you downsize on it slightly so you can throw it around a bit. At 170 pounds the 152 might work out really well for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts