Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Laminate peeling/bubble. How to fix.

360 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  robotfood99
I have some laminate that is peeling. It has some parts that have bubbled a little. Do I need to remove the laminate that is peeling with a razor blade and use epoxy to go over it? Should I remove all the white part? I am not sure what the surface might look like after the epoxy is put on top. Do I need to lightly sand/buff so it comes out clear?

The peeling is probably due to the board being left in the garage over several summers. It's an older board.

Thanks
Sports equipment Blue Skateboard Tints and shades Electric blue

Hood Azure Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades

Hair Head Hand Eye Plant

Underwater Electric blue Plant Fish Terrestrial plant
See less
I have some laminate that is peeling. It has some parts that have bubbled a little. Do I need to remove the laminate that is peeling with a razor blade and use epoxy to go over it? Should I remove all the white part? I am not sure what the surface might look like after the epoxy is put on top. Do I need to lightly sand/buff so it comes out clear?

The peeling is probably due to the board being left in the garage over several summers. It's an older board.

Thanks
[ATTACH...
See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,904 Posts
Thats the UV topsheet, it's not a fix, it's a this board is ancient and it's days of looking good are gone. It's also not terribly important outside of cosmetic as it doesn't provide functionality, but it will peel the entire top of the board away. Time to upgrade to something made within the last 20 years. Same goes for the bindings cause yikes are those a hazard.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the UV topsheet, it's not a fix, it's a this board is ancient and it's days of looking good are gone. It's also not terribly important outside of cosmetic as it doesn't provide functionality, but it will peel the entire top of the board away. Time to upgrade to something made within the last 20 years. Same goes for the bindings cause yikes are those a hazard.
Yeah, its old school. I mainly ski but wanted to get the snowboard out. My kids are still on the beginning runs so I wanted to switch between the two during the day to make it more interesting. Should I just let it chip away on its own or should I use a razor blade and cut out the part that is raised? I didn't know the bindings were a hazard. I thought as long as they hold my feet I am good. Thanks.

· Registered
3,116 Posts
Yeah, its old school. I mainly ski but wanted to get the snowboard out. My kids are still on the beginning runs so I wanted to switch between the two during the day to make it more interesting. Should I just let it chip away on its own or should I use a razor blade and cut out the part that is raised? I didn't know the bindings were a hazard. I thought as long as they hold my feet I am good. Thanks.
If it's dangerous ie sharp edges, cut it out with a blade. This looks like a vintage board with capped construction.

· Registered
3,116 Posts
Yep...., the bag looks like the most expensive item in the kit.

· Registered
2,904 Posts
As long as they hold your feet is the issue. Those bindings are ancient, ancient plastic breaks, then suddenly they're not holding your feet and you have a problem.

As for the sheet, just leave it, it's going to just peel more as you try and cut it off.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use stickers over that type of damage. I agree on not using the ancient bindings.
If I heat up the surface would the UV topcoat soften. I could then push it down and put a sticker over it.

So the issue with the binding is that the plastic might break. It seems like it can handle the bunny slopes though which is where I would use it since I need to watch might kids on the slopes.

· Registered
200 Posts
If I heat up the surface would the UV topcoat soften. I could then push it down and put a sticker over it.

So the issue with the binding is that the plastic might break. It seems like it can handle the bunny slopes though which is where I would use it since I need to watch might kids on the slopes.
I’ve had bindings like that break in the lift line. Plastic has a shelf life and once it gets old and brittle, doesn’t take much for them to pop.

· Registered
1,527 Posts

Heat is bad for wood + resin. Have a look at this board. The original owner applied heat to those bubbles and this is the result. Your best bet is to apply some marine or flexible epoxy then sticker over.

Your board has cosmetic issues. Your bindings could have safety issues if the plastics are brittle.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll just cut the raised part since it is pretty hard and could cut into something, put a sticker on afterwards, and use it on the magic carpet run to test it out. Can I find newer bindings that would fit this board?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts